Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 12:50:27 AM EDT
When these first came out, I remember that there were some issues with poor accuracy.  Some of that traced to early unlocking of the action under firing, and some of it was blamed on S&W using the wrong barrel twist rate.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has a new production M&P9 and if these issues have been worked out?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't think you have anything to worry about.

But if it makes you feel better I own several different versions and use one for work. All made in the last 3-5 years I think.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#2]
For starters, I am not a new shooter.  I've got pistols and revolvers of all sizes and can shoot pretty well.  

My new FS M&P 9 was made in June 2015.  

Took it to the range for the first time earlier this week and ran 250 rounds of mixed ammo through it.  

Was happy to simply hit a piece of paper from 10 yards.  Shots were all over the place.  Had another guy at the range shoot it and he had similar results.  

I'm going to tinker with the backstraps and sights to see if that makes any difference.  If not, I'll let S&W figure it out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a instructor, we have a fleet of M&P 9s that we use because we also have a fleet of their 22s that we start people on. I can keep all rounds touching in the bulls eye at 15yds with slow off hand fire. I don't like the pistol because of the trigger and soft metal trigger parts, not because of the accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2015 manufacture 9mm PRO. I only shoot my reloads. I had a very difficult time at first finding the right load. Two things solved the mystery. The first was using the LEE FCD. it made my reloads shoot shitty. The second was mounting a slide red dot. It  showed me I was the nut behind the trigger. I'm new to this pistol and it's trigger. I found some good loads and the pistol is capable of shoot decent groups. Good enough for games, certainly not a bullseye pistol.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 2015   4.25" PRO and I put about 95% of shots into 3" at 10 yards. I am sure it is more me than the pistol.  I am pleasantly surprised the shield shoots

the similar sized groups.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up one last week.   I already have the Compact 9mm

If the round misses it is my fault not the gun.  Very nice pistols.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
The old barrels are easily identifiable by a round collar ahead of the chamber.  The newer ones do not have this.
Example

ETA:  IIRC, they went to the new design in late 2012.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:37:28 AM EDT
[#8]
My 9pro shoots lights out. Trigger gets better every box of ammo. I want anothe pro and the 9c for pocket carry. Then all my G-21's can be truck gun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For starters, I am not a new shooter.  I've got pistols and revolvers of all sizes and can shoot pretty well.  

Took it to the range for the first time earlier this week and ran 250 rounds of mixed ammo through it.  

Was happy to simply hit a piece of paper from 10 yards.  Shots were all over the place. Had another guy at the range shoot it and he had similar results.  

I'm going to tinker with the backstraps and sights to see if that makes any difference.  If not, I'll let S&W figure it out.
View Quote

That's not the gun, nor is it the sights at that range.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]
My 2008 shoots fine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was happy to simply hit a piece of paper from 10 yards.  Shots were all over the place. Had another guy at the range shoot it and he had similar results.  

Maybe not.  But when the same ugly results are duplicated by another shooter, it makes me wonder.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Maybe not.  But when the same ugly results are duplicated by another shooter, it makes me wonder.  

View Quote

Pistol shooting is extremely difficult. Especially with an unfamiliar striker-fired trigger. Two shooters unable to group well with one would not be surprising.

12"+ groups at 10 yards is almost impossible to be a mechanical problem. I've seen improperly treated M&P barrels that lacked rifling group better than that.

However, groups of that size are very common when shooter-induced. I had the same problem you described the first time I shot a Glock and chalked it up to Glocks being inaccurate. I was wrong.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Pistol shooting is extremely difficult. Especially with an unfamiliar striker-fired trigger. Two shooters unable to group well with one would not be surprising.

12"+ groups at 10 yards is almost impossible to be a mechanical problem. I've seen improperly treated M&P barrels that lacked rifling group better than that.

However, groups of that size are very common when shooter-induced. I had the same problem you described the first time I shot a Glock and chalked it up to Glocks being inaccurate. I was wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were both a little surprised with the results.   It's just strange because I can shoot my Shield so much better than the FS M&P.  Heck, I shoot my little J-frame and LCP better.  

I'm not done with the M&P though.  I'll be back at it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I shoot my shield better than my full size too.

Then again I shoot my 17 better than my 19.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#15]
The newer guns are good to go. Mine is a July 2013 build and I am more than impressed with the accuracy. Love this gun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

We were both a little surprised with the results.   It's just strange because I can shoot my Shield so much better than the FS M&P.  Heck, I shoot my little J-frame and LCP better.  

I'm not done with the M&P though.  I'll be back at it tomorrow.
View Quote

As a point of reference, the worst accuracy I've seen in an M&P 9 was an early factory threaded barrel that shot 7" groups at 25 yards. S&W replaced the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#17]
It's heading back to S&W.  

Had it out again.  

250 more rounds and another different shooter.  

Same crap results.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I had two different full size M&P9's and both of them had accuracy issues.  I have other striker fired guns and had no issue with shooting them.  Both of the M&P's had trouble keeping hits on a 3X5 card at 7 yards.  I could get a tight group from every other gun that I shoot.  

I then picked up a M&P pro 5" gun, and had no issues with getting a tight group on the 3X5 card.  I keep reading on the forums about how it's the shooter, and very few people want to admit that there is an issue with the M&P.  I realize that some people are getting good results, but there are a lot of people who are getting crappy guns.

The first M&P I had you could see the slide move sideways when it was dry fired.  I have never seen a gun do that.

It's unfortunate, because I really like the M&P, but I'm hesitant to recommend them because of my personal experience.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got a fairly early M&P9 full size with the smooth profile second generation barrel without dimple(s). I believe it's the slower 1:18.75" twist rate. Seems like it starts to unlock with any rearward movement of the slide too.

I've never bothered to bench rest it, but with the Apex FSS and trigger I've been pleased with how well it shoots with both 115 grain and 147 grain stuff. Shot side by side with a G19 and a VP9 it shoots essentially equivalent groups. The Glock and the VP9 might edge it out if I had more trigger time on them, but it's a toss up. I think my USP9 and CZ75 edge the M&P out slightly, but by no means would I call the M&P "inaccurate". I will say that it was difficult to get a clean break with the stock trigger on the M&P, resulting in poor apparent accuracy. The newer M&Ps supposedly have much-improved triggers so this may be less of a problem now. I will say that putting the latest trigger bar and slide stop in my M&P did markedly improve the reset.

Now, I'm not a great handgun shot, but after watching every other person on the range whose target set at 7 yards looks like it was shot with birdshot at 100 yards, I think your average shooter is not going to be able to notice any accuracy problems with the gun...
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#20]
He talks about it in this video:

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
He talks about it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orf_zlp3Rdk

View Quote

Interesting comments in that video.  The M&P does have a lot going for it, but accuracy is a deal-breaker for me.  

Bought a G19 a couple of days ago and shot it much better than the M&P.  All of my shots went where I wanted them to go.  

If Smith and Wesson can't figure out the accuracy issues with my gun, it's gone.  I think I can be perfectly happy with the G19.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#22]
If that's the case, I"m sure it will serve you well.  Nothing wrong with a G19. Some of us prefer the M&P's for various reasons, but they're both good guns.  I'm just glad there are more options now a days.......

Used to be like Glock was the only game in town.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Realistically, based on that video, how bad are the M&Ps really with accuracy? I haven't even had a chance to take mine out.

I'm not much of a pistol shooter but I can pull some decent groups with a cheap 1911 I have. If I'm getting on paper with rapid fire at 10-15 yards, I'd say that's probably good enough to serve it's intended purpose. I'd like to be pulling small groups with slow fire but if it's not possible, it's not the end of the world.

I feel like the trigger is going to hold me back more than the barrel will.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Realistically, based on that video, how bad are the M&Ps really with accuracy? I haven't even had a chance to take mine out.

I'm not much of a pistol shooter but I can pull some decent groups with a cheap 1911 I have. If I'm getting on paper with rapid fire at 10-15 yards, I'd say that's probably good enough to serve it's intended purpose. I'd like to be pulling small groups with slow fire but if it's not possible, it's not the end of the world.

I feel like the trigger is going to hold me back more than the barrel will.
View Quote

I wouldn't worry too much.   Just shoot it.  

If you're having accuracy issues, let a few other folks shoot it like I did.  You're accuracy results will either be validated by the other shooters, or it may just be you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I like the trigger on my M&P, it's not  as light as a 1911 or most single actions, but it's not bad at all.  I like it a lot better then the trigger on my G19, my friends G23, and just about every other Glock I've tried.  With the exception of one really worn in one that you could barely feel the break on anymore.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like the trigger on my M&P, it's not  as light as a 1911 or most single actions, but it's not bad at all.  I like it a lot better then the trigger on my G19, my friends G23, and just about every other Glock I've tried.  With the exception of one really worn in one that you could barely feel the break on anymore.  
View Quote

I don't mind the trigger, I've used much worse but I'm thinking about picking up the APEX kit, not sure which one,  just to smooth it out and lighten it a bit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Eh, at 10 yards and a none coffee day I could make 10 rounds either touch or be in a one inch group.

I suppose I should add tgat was almost two years ago when my friend and I lived at the range. Now I have an 18 month old and have been to the range twice. Prob couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top