Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2015 4:50:30 PM EDT
Quick question for the folks smarter than me.

Bought a new 9mm Shield with the intent to carry. Went to the range today to shoot it to make sure it behaved well and to try the defensive ammo I bought to carry with it (Hornaday Critical Defense). Shot 100 rounds of Remington 115gr FMJ to start and it all fired without a hitch. 4in groups at 20' (when I didn't pull the shot). After that, I shot 14 rounds of the Hornaday and they grouped about 6" left of where I was aiming.

Has any one else seen this? I know long guns can be picky about ammo, are pistols the same way?

Long winded question to get your thoughts, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes they can shoot to a different location than where the sights are aimed.  It is possible for different bullet weights to print high or low depending on weight and velocity.  Generally most Handguns  hit close enough to point of aim for self defense.  It is possible you were the cause of the gun shooting left, fatigue or anticipating recoil.  The rear sights can be changed for a particular load but I always tried to zero my pistol for my self defense load.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine hits right above the front sights with most ammo. The last range  trip my 115 gr reloads were about an inch above that and it low and left if I mess up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quick question for the folks smarter than me.

Bought a new 9mm Shield with the intent to carry. Went to the range today to shoot it to make sure it behaved well and to try the defensive ammo I bought to carry with it (Hornaday Critical Defense). Shot 100 rounds of Remington 115gr FMJ to start and it all fired without a hitch. 4in groups at 20' (when I didn't pull the shot). After that, I shot 14 rounds of the Hornaday and they grouped about 6" left of where I was aiming.

Has any one else seen this? I know long guns can be picky about ammo, are pistols the same way?

Long winded question to get your thoughts, thanks.
View Quote

a friend and i both had problems with this ammo(poa,fte,etc). poa returned to normal when we switched ammo
he uses critical duty and I use fed HST's or speer gold dot
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
EVERY BARREL IS PREJUDICED.

pistols and rifles.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried 9 different brands and weights of SD ammo with my Shield 9mm. I finally settled on Gold Dot 124grn.  They hit to POA all the time and shoot fine thru my Shield 9mm. They are still an excellent SD round. Each gun has it's likes and dislikes for ammo. Find one that shoots good for you and stick with it. There really is no magic bullet for SD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top