Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2015 10:23:16 AM EDT
I acquired my first ever revolver, an S&W model 66 no dash.  I took it out last weekend and instantly fell in love.  Action is smooth and the trigger is awesome.  The original owner I got it from replaced the grips with a set of pachmyrs.  They are nice but I want the original look.  Anyone know where I can get a set?  The gun has been polished, so I'll reevaluate restoring the original finish once I get the correct grips and see how it looks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I carried a no dash model 66 when I was a Rookie Officer, plain front sight ( no red insert) with factory wood grips.  The newer S&W  K frame grips were relieved for speed loaders but my issue 66 had the original grips with no speed loader cut out on the left side.  I eventially used rubber Pachmeyer Signature grips when I started using speed loaders.

Very accurate guns even shooting double action but you need to limit the K frames to only occassional use with magnum ammo.  My last carry load was the WW 145 grain silvertip hollow point.  Winchester used a flash retardent powder plus the fully jacketed bullet penetrates hard targets better than the half or scallop jacketed hollow points.  I personally liked the 145 grain STHP better than the 125 grain JHP I previously carried.  The silvertips entered the cylinder a little easier using speed loaders than some of the more blunt 38/357 loads.  The Silvertip looked more like a semi auto pistol bullet with notched jacket.

I also noticed in low light it was very easy to see the SS sights which was a plus since night sights were not yet on the market.  The Stainless Steel Revolver was easy to see in low light which can be advantagous as a lot of people become cooperative when they see that SS K frame pointed at them.  Them seeing the bullets in the cylinder sure gets peoples attention which is not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I planned on shooting the standard 357 bulk packs from walmart.  If I get around to reloading I wouldn't be expecting to load them any hotter.  Are you saying any 357 should be limited in them?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Only use heavy loads, like 156 grain 357's.  I wouldn't shoot 125 grain 357 magnums at all due to it could crack the forcing cone. I also have a 66 no dash and love it. I don't shoot it much, but when I do, I use 156 grain. It will also shoot 38 specials, which is highly recommended.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I shoot a mix of 38s but like to shoot the heavier 357 as well.  Im not too fond of shooting high horsepower recoil rounds to impress anyone but I enjoy the bang of the 357 over a 38.  Kind of like shooting an m1a vs a 10/22.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]

What barrel length?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, more details man!!!!  

Is it a round butt?  That will help determine which grips might be the original type.  Smith carries some of the standard type wooden grips.  

Wheel gun shooting is fun.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#7]
A steady diet of magnum loads will accelerate the wear on your model 66, especially the hot 125 grain magnums.  When I was issued the model 66 4" we practiced with 148 grain wadcutters.  This was a small PD and didn't require any specific ammo for duty so some Officers carried 38 Special others carried 357's.  When PD's became more concerned about liability they started qualifying with duty ammunition.  The magnum ammunition cuts into the top strap and forcing cone like a cutting torch.

S&W introduced the 581/681 (fixed sight L frame) and the 586/686 for angencies needing a revolver which could withstand a steady diet of 357 magnum ammo but was smaller than the N frame model 28 Highway Patrolman.  A typical revolver will go out of time and need repair sooner than many auto pistols.   Many PD's transitioned away from revolvers to semi autos because the service life is generally longer for an auto compared to a revolver.  One of Glock's selling points was the pistol was a very simple robust design with inexpensive parts.  Training for armorers is also a lot shorter for autos than for revolvers.  Add in the higher capacity and the ease in training new cadets it's no wonder semi autos are now common in LE.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I'm happy with it.  Heading out to the sandpit this morning to pop off some more rounds.  It's one sweet gun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of them on eBay.
Original grips would be K frame square butt targets, like this (speedloader cutout):

or this (football cutout):

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#12]
A few months ago I bought the newly re-issued 2014 model 66-6 and have been shooting 125gr 357 mag loads which are a blast!
I called S&W to see if there was a issue shooting the hot 125gr 357. S&W says the new 66-6 is designed to handle
the hot 357 loads just like the L frame 586/686. My model 66-6 doesn't get shot that much since after 100 rounds of 357
blasting takes it's toll on me then it's time to switch to 38 special instead. lol

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#13]
From what I understand, the new ones are beefed up a bit.  Because this was a known issue with the older ones.  

Great Revolver weasel master.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top