Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2015 12:11:31 AM EDT
I just picked up my new shield tonight and was going to take it apart to clean it and get it ready for the range. I locked the slide back (which is extremely tough) and after moving the takedown lever and takedown pin ( or whatever it's called) and this is the toughest gun I've ever had to take down. I literally had to push against the gun with all my might to get it apart. I actually got a huge gash in my hand from taking it down. Does this get easier with more rounds. This is my first S&W gun and so far I'm pretty disappointed
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember mine being pretty tough to lock back and take down at first. It's definitely way easier after I got a couple hundred rounds through it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I just picked up my new shield tonight and was going to take it apart to clean it and get it ready for the range. I locked the slide back (which is extremely tough) and after moving the takedown lever and takedown pin ( or whatever it's called) and this is the toughest gun I've ever had to take down. I literally had to push against the gun with all my might to get it apart. I actually got a huge gash in my hand from taking it down. Does this get easier with more rounds. This is my first S&W gun and so far I'm pretty disappointed
View Quote
Well I have had two first production S&W Shield 9mm's both fail with slide locked back because the small disc on the back of the guide rod was warped. One reason I use a one piece SS guide rod setup instead of their version which they know about failing. My carry has easily over 1,000+ rounds through it....

But, when you take it down you should remove the magazine, lock the slide back, then take a punch or something small and move the sear locking bar (usually its yellow) out towards the open part of the magazine well. Then flip the down the slide lock and when you release the slide lock lever the gun should just come apart, you might have to just put slight pressure on the trigger but that is it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I'll try that. How much is the SS guide rod
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I sent you an IM with info, but with the new guide rod I did 400rd test as fast as I could get my dad to load the mags, and have probably put another 500+ down range.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#5]
This is what mine almost looked like this one is really bad

This is what the new one piece looks like. (This is in my actual gun)

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I ran 400 rounds through it. It ran flawlessly other than some crappy Perfecta ammo. The recoil wasn't bad at all. I just need to buy about 6 more mags and I'll be set.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I ran 400 rounds through it. It ran flawlessly other than some crappy Perfecta ammo. The recoil wasn't bad at all. I just need to buy about 6 more mags and I'll be set.
View Quote

Glad to hear. Mine was the same when I first got it. After your range session, things should be much easier to disassemble.
If you like using the 7 round mags for CC, I'd suggest NDZ Performance extended base plates. I have medium size hands and can get a full grip.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Would love to hear what company is making those and what spring is being used.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Should've bought a G19 for the win!!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey troll, GTFO.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]
It's not even the same sized gun.   Geeeeez.  I think most people would acknowledge that aspect.  It's comments like that............

Maybe it was sarcasm though.....

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It's not even the same sized gun.   Geeeeez.  I think most people would acknowledge that aspect.  It's comments like that............

Maybe it was sarcasm though.....

View Quote
That's the way I took it; still this isn't GD

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:29:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hey troll, GTFO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey troll, GTFO.

Yep, run along to the Glock subforum...

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I have had a total of three Shields, one in 40 and the others in 9mm, none of which were hard to disassemble

Sounds like somthing may be out of spec with yours OP

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in the same boat as you but according to other members here they dont seem to know what i am meaning and it's not difficult to take apart. I followed the instructions on the manual about locking the slide back then messing with that yellow pin then the lever to be turned, which i think it's the most annoying thing ever unless there is a way around this. Hoping this gets better with time.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I sent you an IM with info, but with the new guide rod I did 400rd test as fast as I could get my dad to load the mags, and have probably put another 500+ down range.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have the manual safety or no manual safety?

any preference either way?

i have an opportunity to buy a Shield, unfired, 9mm, with 3 mags (probably a holster) for $350

it has the manual safety....and in theory (i currently carry a glock and XDS) i dont want a manual safety

thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well I have had two first production S&W Shield 9mm's both fail with slide locked back because the small disc on the back of the guide rod was warped. One reason I use a one piece SS guide rod setup instead of their version which they know about failing. My carry has easily over 1,000+ rounds through it....

But, when you take it down you should remove the magazine, lock the slide back, then take a punch or something small and move the sear locking bar (usually its yellow) out towards the open part of the magazine well. Then flip the down the slide lock and when you release the slide lock lever the gun should just come apart, you might have to just put slight pressure on the trigger but that is it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never heard of this common issue..
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I have my Shield with the manual safety option.  Even though I leave it off, i is so low profile that it never gets in the way.  It barely sticks out.  I got it with the manual safety since it is the most popular option and I didn't want to custom order one without the safety.   I say, just buy the one with the safety and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a brand new Shield in 9mm with no manual safety. I fired a rental gun last year so, I knew how the gun felt before purchasing. I am not sold on the G43 at least at retail price right now.

I cleaned and lubed my Shield as I do with all new guns. I fired 210 rounds from 115gr to 124gr, etc. I had no malfunctions and the gun was plenty accurate. I was very pleased.

When I disassembled the gun for cleaning, the recoil spring assembly came completely apart. There was no way to get in back in the gun. The gun was dead on the water.

I called S&W customer service and explained, They did not hesitate to send me new RSA which I am waiting for now.

I have been unable to source any spare recoil spring assemblies online. I really like the gun and hope that mine is an exception...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I mean if you google it or search S&W forums, etc... or like the poster below said .... S&W will instantly overnight you a guide rod if you call and complain about it. I mean it happened to two of mine, and since then the ss guide rod has been flawless for me.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had no trouble disassembling, but re-assembling is a different story.

It's so hard to get the slide back that last 1/8", I've had the gun slip out of my hands a couple of times.
Having to apply so much force while trying to push the slide lock up is nearly impossible for me.
I discovered the way to do it is to stick in an empty mag, which eliminates the need to work the slide lock, freeing up my hand so I can apply sufficient force.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#22]
yes, the first few times of dis-assembly and re-assembly were difficult. with a few hundred rounds it becomes easier.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#23]
My dad's shield doesn't even require locking the slide back to remove the slide. His take down tab will rotate down while the slide is forward and come right off.

His gun locked up pretty tight in the middle of the first mag. It locked back halfway through and it was extremely difficult to get the slide to go home. It finally did (it felt like the slide lock was stuck) and it has been fine ever since
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top