Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2015 1:56:14 PM EDT
I have had my m&p 9 for a year and half now and have put about 2000 rounds through it after the first thousand+/- I put in an apex trigger in and love it. I've had about 10 failures mostly fte and only once an ftf, all in very cold wheater(30+/-). In this 2000 rounds I haven't cleaned it at all, occasionally I would wd40 it to prevent rust though. Only one complaint about the gun is the mag, about 99% of the time it won't catch the slide. I have just done a full cleaning of it hoping to fix this problem. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I am glad I bought this over the Glock 17, I have put about a thousand rounds through a g 17 and am happy with the m&p.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Get rid of the WD40 and get some real gun lube also look into Wollf extra power mag springs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Rusty slide is an issue in humid climates - mine rusted when  carried it in FL for just a couple of weeks (stainless steel not so stainless). A less volatile gun oil would probably be better.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Picked this up in November and just hit 2000 rounds. I like it a lot. I clean it every 1000 rounds and lube it before each session. No malfs yet.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah...................no. Put some Slip 2000 on that thing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd make sure your grip isn't what's causing your slide to not lock back before blaming the mag. Are you riding the slide stop with your thumb?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah...................no. Put some Slip 2000 on that thing.
View Quote

Yep. I switched to Slip 2000 EWL years ago.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have had my m&p 9 for a year and half now and have put about 2000 rounds through it after the first thousand+/- I put in an apex trigger in and love it. I've had about 10 failures mostly fte and only once an ftf, all in very cold wheater(30+/-). In this 2000 rounds I haven't cleaned it at all, occasionally I would wd40 it to prevent rust though. Only one complaint about the gun is the mag, about 99% of the time it won't catch the slide. I have just done a full cleaning of it hoping to fix this problem. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I am glad I bought this over the Glock 17, I have put about a thousand rounds through a g 17 and am happy with the m&p.
View Quote

You are happy with a gun that has had 10 failures?  Glad you bought over glock 17 which is probably the most reliable pistol I know of?   I'm confused, must mean this POS jams and I wish I had a Glock
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You are happy with a gun that has had 10 failures?  Glad you bought over glock 17 which is probably the most reliable pistol I know of?   I'm confused, must mean this POS jams and I wish I had a Glock
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have my Glock 19 that went 500rds before having a FTE.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Idk got a gen 2 and 3 that have had 1 FTF total and it was pos silver bear ammo.......prob. 15k rounds.....and the op's m&p is at 2.5 failures per 500 so u are still doing better.  Prob is either a wrist or spring issue though.  I had problems with a G36 and a new recoil spring solved it but most of my friends and family have issues controlling it still.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not exactly sure how many rounds I have through mine but it's North of 4k. I've taken two pistol classes, do all my load development with it, and carry it daily. Cleaned it maybe 3x in 4 years and the only malfunctions I've had was when I was load developing and it was all under powered. I'm extremely happy with mine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Close to 1000 rounds in mine with no problems yet.  I clean it after every trip to the range.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had mine for 2 years, shot probably over 5000 rounds, ran it in a course and have never had a malfunction or experienced this problem. I do keep it clean but will go about 500 rounds between cleanings.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only Glock I have left has over 5,000 rounds and has literally stove piped four times. All were on the last round of g19 mags with a +2 base plate and stock springs, once I went back to the stock base plates it was fine.

Still can't wait to get my M&P9c and M&P fs...they just fit my hand better and I shoot them better.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#14]
WD-40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT.

Pistols really need more regular cleaning than most rifles.  It's dirtier, and the margin of power for operation is less.

I have rifles that I'll clean every 3,000 rounds, whether they need it or not, and not have any failures.

Pistols I clean after every shooting session.  Usually wipe it all down with CLR, clean the chamber and barrel, then re-lube the contact surfaces with grease.

I have an M&P 9 with probably upwards of 9,000 rounds through it.  Two failures, one was a bad primer, the other was I believe a mis-feed when it was really dirty.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#15]
WD-40 as a lubricant?

Grab some Slip EWL.  I've got over 4k rounds down mine with zero malfunctions.  10 in 2k is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

10 failures in 2k rounds is not impressive. That is 1 in every 200 rounds or 1 failure every 12 mags. This might be OK for a range gun but it would not make my list for a carry piece.

30 degrees farenheight is NOT "very cold weather" for a firearm at all.

WD40 is neither a good lubricant nor a good rust preventative. Personally, I prefer Lubriplate FMO-350-AW as an oil and Lubriplate SFL-0 for grease (where indicated). Mobil 1 syn. is my 2nd choice and something I can get a couple drops off my dipstick in a pinch if necessary.

If you are having problems with slide lock on an empty mag "99% of the time" then you need to get that figured out. It is not normal and and not a common problem with the M&P.

I am not trying to bust your balls but I am thinking you posted this looking for feedback.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I will just say what everybody else said.  That does not sound like a reliable weapon to me.  Not saying anything against the M&P, but maybe you just go a lemon.  Or maybe it's the WD40.  And yeah, as far as the not locking back, I too wonder if you're not riding the slide stop.  I know high thumbs is all the rage but I did it with My M9 and it's hard not to when you grip a handgun like that with some designs.  The M&P's isn't nearly as big as the M9's but maybe it's just how you are holding it.  

Try some normal lube and quality ammo and watch out for your fingers for locking back and then see how she does.  If it continues to malf like that, I'd get rid of it.  I also think it's possible that you are limpwristing.  You said FTE's.  Were they stovepipes?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree with everyone about ditching the WD40. I've seen it lock up some guns after it sits. Turns into a gel like consistency after a while, the cold probably makes this worse.

If you haven't lubed the barrel or slide rails at all in 2k rounds that probably your issue. I have an M&P that I let go for about 1.5k rounds with no cleaning but I did lube it with either slip 2k EWL or CLP before every range trip. It functioned perfectly every time. Any oil I've used seems to burn or sling off by 300-500 rounds. After that you're basically running a dry gun and that's asking for malfunctions, I don't care if its an M&P, Glock or any other brand. Make sure its lubed and I think all the malfunctions will go away.

I had issues with the slide stop not catching on mine when I first bought it. Turns out I was holding my thumb on the slide lock, and I do it even worse with my shield. One way I check the mag springs is to insert an unloaded mag into the gun, point the grip toward the celing and push the mag eject button. It the mag pops out of the grip an inch or better then your mag springs are probably good. If they just barely move or not at all, then you need new mag springs and that would be causing the slide lock issue.

Oh and +1 on the apex trigger. I just installed my first one last week in mine. I didn't use the enhancement kit, just the trigger and I love it. Much less take up, and a much nicer break with less overtravel.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#19]
wd40

do you even lube bro?

that shit gums up.  garbage  i dont even use that shit for work.

ive used breakfree clp for a long time. all my guns. ive been duck hunting with my maxus, cleaned and lubed with clp, 5*F give or take a couple, never froze, never jammed, nothing. works great in all my guns.  i think walmart even sells it...
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
wd40

do you even lube bro?

that shit gums up.  garbage  i dont even use that shit for work.

ive used breakfree clp for a long time. all my guns. ive been duck hunting with my maxus, cleaned and lubed with clp, 5*F give or take a couple, never froze, never jammed, nothing. works great in all my guns.  i think walmart even sells it...
View Quote

+1.  Ask me how I know.  Used it on a Smith 36. Covered it with the stuff.  Got it out a year later and the cylinder wouldn't turn, because the stuff gummed up.  That was the mid 1980's. Learned a valuable lesson then.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Rusty slide is an issue in humid climates - mine rusted when  carried it in FL for just a couple of weeks (stainless steel not so stainless). A less volatile gun oil would probably be better.
View Quote

Not Stainproof
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I live in Texas and I had shot it in winter which is when it jammed. My friends glock 17 jams much more then my m&p
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I did not use it as a lube, in fact i never lubed the gun. I used wd40 on the slide to prevent rust.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#24]
These failures were all in cold weather. It was consistently jamming in below freezing temperature.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
WD-40 as a lubricant?

http://orig12.deviantart.net/5fdd/f/2015/099/7/5/jackie_chan_meme_by_firefox2014-d8p19a4.jpg

Grab some Slip EWL.  I've got over 4k rounds down mine with zero malfunctions.  10 in 2k is unacceptable.
View Quote

Hey,  WD 40 works on my door hinges.  To be honest I used to put it in the gas cylinder of my M60.

Concur, 10 in 2K is unsat.  I prefer simpler lube like Breakfree CLP, but Slip EWL is good shit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
These failures were all in cold weather. It was consistently jamming in below freezing temperature.
View Quote

In TX?  I've had no(as in zero) issues with any 9mm M&P using Breakfree CLP.  This is in Alaska, Texas, and North Carolina.  There are likely many better lubes, but Breakfree CLP works for me.

M&P 9C at >5.3K
M&P 9 at >3.7K
M&P Shield at ~350

I carry the 9C when I'm not pocket carrying an M&P 340.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I did not use it as a lube, in fact i never lubed the gun. I used wd40 on the slide to prevent rust.
View Quote

That's most likely going to be your issue. Take it apart, clean it up and lube it as the manual shows. The stuff that's on them from the factory isn't a lube but a preservative that doesn't do much better than going dry.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:55:18 AM EDT
[#28]
always lube.
Even if you don't clean, lube.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I've shot quite a few rounds in cold weather in wi in various weapons and haven't had problems.  Something is up that has nothing to do with the cold.  At least that's how I see it.  

Whoever was saying their friends glock jams more, is that you OP?  Again I will say it may be that you're limpwristing.   Glocks have a rep for not cycling if you are limpwristing.  But other guns will do this too.  That's why I asked about the stovepipe earlier.  If they were stovepipes, my recommendation would be bad lube and limpwristing.  And then I bet you're riding the slide for the non locking back of the slide.  All stuff that can be overcome relatively easily.   But of course I could be wrong and maybe there is something wrong with your gun.   You could have someone else shoot it that is a gun guy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

WD40 is causing malfunctions, not the other way around.

For fucks sake, in the age of the internet, ignorance is a really lousy excuse.  I use an M&P as a duty gun, and if it malfunctioned in chilly weather up here where it actually gets cold, I'd be fucked.

I chose the M&P because it historically has been just as reliable as my Glocks, but way more comfortable and with better trigger options.  If it weren't boringly reliable, I wouldnt use it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

WD stands for Water Displacement.  It pushes the water away leaving a very thin, very quickly evaporating oil.  Then there is nothing.  To prevent rust, WD 40 is the worst thing I can think of.  

Do you remember oiling your chain on your bike with the WD?  Remember how rusty that mother fucker was?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#32]
WD40 is neither a lubricant nor a protectant.

The only reason it hasn't jacked up your M&P is because it has so many stainless steel parts.
Just about anything else would be better. Even vegetable oil.

And yes, the M&P is an outstanding firearm.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I'v got 12k+ through mine, I can't tell you the last time I cleaned it and it runs fine. I'v only had 2 malfunctions and both happened on the same mag and same box of ammo, a FTE and bad primer. I also shoot mine suppressed so it gets extra dirty Inside of the slide looks like mud from the buildup and lube
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I've had ONE gun related malfunction in ~22k rounds through mine. Recoil spring every ~7500 rds, only on the second trigger return spring (replaced at ~15k). I've had approx 10 ftf bad primers in that time, all crappy reloaded ammo.

Go shoot your gun some more!
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#35]
About 15k rounds through my 5" Pro with zero issues.

I use Mobile 1 synthetic.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#36]

120,000 (yes, you read that right) through my 3 year old MP9FS.  I clean it 1x a year and use grease, not oil.  I have another MP9 FS that is set up identical for carry and have about 10K through that one with no issues.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

120,000 (yes, you read that right) through my 3 year old MP9FS.  I clean it 1x a year and use grease, not oil.  I have another MP9 FS that is set up identical for carry and have about 10K through that one with no issues.
View Quote

Wow.  Even grease on the barrel?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

You shoot competition??  When do you swap out parts?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here.  I use AeroShell on the slide, and Mobil 1 synthetic on the rest.  I do not quite have that round count though lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top