Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2015 12:32:28 PM EDT
I have a newer M&P9 that I really enjoy shooting.  I heard all the horror stories about the trigger, and I have to say that mine is pretty decent.  That said, while I don't have the gritty issue, or the reset issue that plagued the early models, I do feel that a bit lighter pull would be appreciated.  Would polishing any of the surfaces in the gun help me accomplish that?  Or should I just keep shooting it and let it "self polish"???  I estimate(don't have a gauge) the pull is in the mid 6-7lb range now.  I would like to get it about 1-2lbs under where it's at currently.  I'm still pulling some of my shots a couple inches low and left at times.  Granted, I should improve in time, but curiosity has me wondering about improving the trigger and how that may make my shooting experience even better????

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're okay with the trigger and just want it a little lighter then just drop in an Apex sear.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW- I have a 2011 production M&P9 and the factory trigger is fine for me. Not "light" by any means but I don't particularly want a super light trigger in a SD/HD firearm. I am confident with it as is.

Maybe try somebody else's "upgraded" trigger before you buy the parts just to see if you will like it.

In the end, it is all personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Apex duty carry kit. Done.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say shoot it a bunch and get used to it before deciding to change anything. When I first got my 40 full size my groups were crap. After a few ranges sessions they greatly improved.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Apex duty carry kit. Done.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#6]
My 2014 model m&p 9 has a great trigger, I must have hit the handgun lotto. Smooth pull and crisp break. To be honest it feels really close to the Ssa-e I have in my sbr when it breaks. My shield however....stinks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

My 2014 model m&p 9 has a great trigger, I must have hit the handgun lotto. Smooth pull and crisp break. To be honest it feels really close to the Ssa-e I have in my sbr when it breaks. My shield however....stinks.
View Quote

yeah mine is a later year 2014.  I don't have any real complaints and I have about 1k rounds through it with about 5-6 trips to the range.  It does have a bit of take up(which is smooth) and a bit of overtravel, but I don't really know any better as I haven't used any competition triggers or anything else.  To my knowledge, I've only ever shot factory triggers in any gun I've shot; my own definitely stock, and friends afaik stock.

Around here, I really don't know anyone that would have an apex or similar kit installed.  I'm hours drive from anywhere really, so finding someone would be an exercise in frustration.  

I'll probably just keep shooting it as is, and hopefully get to some ISPCA matches and see what I could find out there, if someone had a trigger job I could feel etc...

thx for the advice all :)

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
yeah mine is a later year 2014.  I don't have any real complaints and I have about 1k rounds through it with about 5-6 trips to the range.  It does have a bit of take up(which is smooth) and a bit of overtravel, but I don't really know any better as I haven't used any competition triggers or anything else.  To my knowledge, I've only ever shot factory triggers in any gun I've shot; my own definitely stock, and friends afaik stock.

Around here, I really don't know anyone that would have an apex or similar kit installed.  I'm hours drive from anywhere really, so finding someone would be an exercise in frustration.  

I'll probably just keep shooting it as is, and hopefully get to some ISPCA matches and see what I could find out there, if someone had a trigger job I could feel etc...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're in the northern half of IL PM me and you can try out a bunch of apex M&P's.  I'd also have no problem helping you tear it down and get the parts in there too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you're in the northern half of IL PM me and you can try out a bunch of apex M&P's.  I'd also have no problem helping you tear it down and get the parts in there too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is really a great place! :)

Larry
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#10]

if you're handy with tools, you can make the trigger as nice as APEX without buying any parts....

http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

if you're handy with tools, you can make the trigger as nice as APEX without buying any parts....

http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf
View Quote

That's a good pdf to have. I did my 45c last year using that very same guide.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm sorta near Rockford IL if that helps.  

I would be interested in trying them out :)

I did get to try a friends Springfield XD, not sure of the model but it was the 5.25" version.  Had a really nice trigger on it, and I'm guessing about a 2-3 lb less pull which really helped with targets at longer range.

If/When I do a trigger, I should probably just pony up for some new sights then too right

thx

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Gotta pull the rear sight to do the kit.  Thats why I have an MGW Pro.  Makes the whole process almost so easy it isnt fair.  

Worst case sights come later.  Easy to do either way.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Gotta pull the rear sight to do the kit.  Thats why I have an MGW Pro.  Makes the whole process almost so easy it isnt fair.  

Worst case sights come later.  Easy to do either way.
View Quote

Marksman14,

whereabouts you at in IL.  How far drive from the Rockford IL area.  I'm west of there, but the one horse town I live in nobody's heard of lol.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#15]
PM sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top