Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2015 9:18:34 PM EDT
I own some Glocks but I am thinking about adding an M&P to the stable.  I have a question about converting calibers.

If I buy a full size 9mm, can I just buy an OEM 357 or 40 barrel for it?

Or is it like a Glock where I need to buy a 357 or 40, and then get a true conversion barrel?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you can swap a .40 & .45  barrel but a 9mm stays a 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The 9 slide has a smaller barrel hole. Buy a 40 get a factory 357 barrel and a conversion 9 barrel. 45 is a different creature.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 9 slide has a smaller barrel hole. Buy a 40 get a factory 357 barrel and a conversion 9 barrel. 45 is a different creature.
View Quote

This is correct. You want a .40 or a .357Sig. You can just barrel swap to use all three 9, .357Sig, and .40S&W.

The .45 has it's own frame, slide and barrel, as the cartridge is much bigger than the other three.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got a 40, looking to do the 9mm conversion also.  

Get the 40 or 357 for sure.  Can go down to a 9, but not up from a 9.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I've put off the conversion long enough. I'm going to buy a conversion barrel soon as well. Is the Storm Lake the only one available? Is it also accurate?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:09:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think I've put off the conversion long enough. I'm going to buy a conversion barrel soon as well. Is the Storm Lake the only one available? Is it also accurate?
View Quote

All three of my barrels are factory S&W barrels. No "conversion" barrel is needed. Just get a 9mm barrel.

I'm sure you might squeeze better accuracy out of a conversion barrel instead of a factory barrel, but I'm not that good of a shot to notice.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All three of my barrels are factory S&W barrels. No "conversion" barrel is needed. Just get a 9mm barrel.

I'm sure you might squeeze better accuracy out of a conversion barrel instead of a factory barrel, but I'm not that good of a shot to notice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the only reason I was asking about the Storm Lake is because its the only one I can find in stock at the moment. I cannot find a factory S&W barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top