Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2015 5:28:36 PM EDT
I ordered it from Sportsman's Outdoor Warehouse in OH. It was a police trade in so it has moderate holster wear and it was kind of dirty but the barrel looked good and it cleaned up well. It came with a S&W box and 2 mags. Not bad at all for the price I paid.

The only thing I dont really like is that it says "Lady Smith" on the slide but thats not a big deal. I do like the light grey grips though. My Dad really likes it so I may give it to him to keep at his home.

If anyone has a lead on an IWB left hand holster that will fit these please let me know. Its smaller than my normal carry gun (P229 .40) so if I can find a decent holster I may start to carry this instead.

Thanks to Miami_JBT who posted a link to the Sportsman's Warehouse page where these were for sale, it was a pretty good deal IMO.

and sorry for the iPotato pics!
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice... a 3913 LS. They go for premium compared to the regular 3913 like mine.

The Gunzone has a great article on them.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a 3913 back in 94 for a GF and never asked for it back when we broke up... damn I miss that gun.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a 669 back in the day(my first 9MM) they are really fun guns to shoot, wish we could get some throwback pricing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the same model but mine is the "non-labeled" Lady Smith version. It is a great pistol to carry and pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I kind of would prefer the regular one. But I'll live with this one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I kind of would prefer the regular one. But I'll live with this one.
View Quote
The LS is the better of the 3913s. It was dehorned and made from the ground up for CCW. The 3913 was more for Detectives and Chiefs of Police that wanted a gun that wouldn't get in the way.

If I knew I'd get a LS of NL from them I'd of placed an order. Except for the fact that I'm broke at the moment... yeah that too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I am starting to appreciate the older S&W I just picked up a 5906 florida police trade in,  there are some very good videos on YT that show how to break them down.(not field strip I mean break down to bare frame)

I like Glocks and have a few but there is something about a good quality stainless steel pistol that is neat.  I changed the recoil spring and the original spring was 2 almost 3 coils shorter than the new spring.

magazine springs were in the same shape.  OP I would change out those springs to be safe,  its a nice looking pistol.

Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up a once fired safe queen 6904, more for my little girl when she is old enough.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice score. The LS is an upgrade.

Mine is the black sheep 3914. The holster was a misbranded "S&W" PPK holster from ebay that fit pretty well after remolding it completely.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#10]
We should have a sub-section for Third Generation Smith & Wessons.  Third Generation Nation!

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Man am I bummed I missed that deal, I've been looking for a 3913
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]
They still have the 3914s (which I kind of prefer).

Sportsman's Superstore 3914s
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always wanted an older generation S&W.  How do they shoot?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've always wanted an older generation S&W.  How do they shoot?
View Quote

Great. These little ones still have just enough heft. The first pull is long (enough that many consider the safety a decocker). I really like the trigger once it goes over to SA.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had a 3913 since they were first introduced - mine has a gazillion miles of carry on it (40 miles each way on the train in a concealed compartment briefcase for ten years when I worked in downtown Chiraq).  I made a few changes to mine when it was new - a set of the grey grips (less noticeable against a white dress shirt if my suit coat blew open) and a non-ambidextrous safety.  It doesn't get shot or carried much anymore but is still my bedside gun.

I'd still like to find a clean 3953!
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They still have the 3914s (which I kind of prefer).

Sportsman's Superstore 3914s
View Quote

Just checked this again and am astonished that these aren't sold out yet.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#17]
That's a GREAT carry gun.  I have the 3953, the DAO version of the same gun.

I carry it in a Remora No Clip IWB.  I'm a forester and in the woods most of the time and that holster stays put.  They make it in a left hand version and the price is very reasonable.  

http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/category-s/3183.htm

My 3953

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That's a GREAT carry gun.  I have the 3953, the DAO version of the same gun.

I carry it in a Remora No Clip IWB.  I'm a forester and in the woods most of the time and that holster stays put.  They make it in a left hand version and the price is very reasonable.  

http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/category-s/3183.htm

My 3953

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/slagueux/Pistols/A550A576-1F69-4A13-99F4-2AAC8E86D346_zpsvddzrgkp.jpg
View Quote
If I had a 3953... I'd do this.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked up my 3913LS today - initial impression is that it's pretty good.

Negatives:
- I only got a cardboard box, and by that I mean the box it shipped in - no S&W blue plastic box
- One of the magazines is for a CS-9.  This isn't really a negative, considering I own a CS-9, but I kind of wanted two 3913 magazines, and not a single one.

Neutral:
- The frame is in good shape - there's noticeable holster wear on the trigger guard, and the dust cover is starting to show wear on the edges (but it hasn't worn down to bare aluminum).  The rails are solid and don't appear to have much mileage on them.
- The grips are decent.  I ordered new ones preemptively, but I probably won't throw them on for a while.

Pros:
- The bore is in excellent shape - further evidence that this was a holster queen.
- The slide has some shine spots from the holster, but if I get motivated enough, I think I can glass-bead the slide back to original state.

Would I buy it again for $398 shipped?  Probably.  The extra magazine is worth $25-$35, and the holster is worth $15-$20.  The condition is good enough to justify at least a $380-$400 price tag for the pistol alone, not withstanding the extra mag/holster.  I had one before this one that was in slightly better shape, and I sold it for $460 shipped, with one magazine.

I'll post up pics once I have a few decent ones.  My next step is to fully disassemble the frame, clean everything, and then polish the draw bar, all the internal safety levers, and the pin-plate that's under the grip.  Maybe the sides of the hammer, too.

Last, does anyone know where 3906 magazines are available for less than $40?  I'm a fan of buying magazines for the next model size up, in order to gain a little extra capacity.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Finally got a pair of Hogue grips on her....

OMG it is soooo perfect!

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Finally got a pair of Hogue grips on her....

OMG it is soooo perfect!

http://i.imgur.com/WlgeN1A.jpg
View Quote

The Hogues are good grips.  The rubber will wear through on the bottoms with enough carry.  I also have a set of the Hogue wood grips for mine (they were bought to be my dress grips when going to court or ceremonies when it was my duty gun).
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#22]
The 39/40/4513 series are some of the most underrated guns out there for carry but I miss my 3913 more than any gun I ever sold
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Definitely like the 3913!  Other than the 6906, it's the only other Smith auto that interest me.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I would LOVE a Lady Smith.  I've been a huge fan of the 3rd gen S&W's since my Model 59.  Someday, when I can afford one, I'll buy a LS, hopefully with the Lady Smith gun rug.  This thread has made my gun lust much worse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top