Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2014 1:55:53 AM EDT
My dad texted me a picture of his model 59 saying he needed replacement grips.  I'm not sure I've seen the pistol in person, so I hope that's the right model.

Anyhow, can someone recommend the best place for replacements?  I'm hesitant to buy from eBay unless I can't find them elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it a M59 or m59XX series. Or does it have panel grips or one piece wrap around grips?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#2]
If its a Model 59 I have a like-new set laying around somewhere.  Sold my 59 a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I got this guy to make me some grey ones for my mod 59.
http://www.tillandergungrips.com/index.html
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it a M59 or m59XX series. Or does it have panel grips or one piece wrap around grips?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good question, I don't know. Here are the pics he sent.

Quoted:
If its a Model 59 I have a like-new set laying around somewhere.  Sold my 59 a few weeks ago.

Do yours match the pics above?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Your Dad's 59 has a set of aftermarket Pachmayr grips on it.  If he likes the Pachmayr's a new set shouldn't be too hard to find, like these:  
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/590832/pachmayr-signature-grips-with-backstrap-s-and-w-59-459-rubber-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Might also pick up some new grip screws:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/510530/smith-and-wesson-stock-screw-s-and-w-39-439-539-59-459-559-blue?cm_vc=ProductFinding

The grips I have are the original black plastic grip panels

ETA:  The ripped part on the backstrap is removable.  The rest of the grip doesn't look too bad.  You could probably just remove the backstrap panel if you wanted.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your Dad's 59 has a set of aftermarket Pachmayr grips on it.  If he likes the Pachmayr's a new set shouldn't be too hard to find, like these:  
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/590832/pachmayr-signature-grips-with-backstrap-s-and-w-59-459-rubber-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Might also pick up some new grip screws:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/510530/smith-and-wesson-stock-screw-s-and-w-39-439-539-59-459-559-blue?cm_vc=ProductFinding

The grips I have are the original black plastic grip panels

ETA:  The ripped part on the backstrap is removable.  The rest of the grip doesn't look too bad.  You could probably just remove the backstrap panel if you wanted.
View Quote

Thanks, Mike. What are your thoughts on the 59? I don't know anything about it, but wish he had something more modern (that I'm familiar with and know to be reliable).
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]
S&W semi-autos of this era are uber reliable. Mine will eat anything and will even feed empty cases for failure drills. Something which none of mine have ever done in actual use. Can't say the same for every other pistol I've owned/used. That includes M&P's, XD's, Glocks and HK's.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
The model 59's weren't noted for all being reliable but the pistols I was around were.  When I went through the Police Academy in 1977 the range issued model 59's to Officers who's dept used autos and model 64's to revolver agencies.  The 59's were not liked by the range staff but most problems were related to ammo, training and personal bias.  The autos weren't as common in LE in the 1970's so it was a hassle to have a few auto shooters in the class.

A friend had a nickel 59 which was one of the smoothest shooting pistols I ever shot but parts breakage did happen on 39-2's and 59's.  I had a hammer go bad on my 39-2 with only a couple thousand rounds.  I've also heard of extractor failures and hammer drop safeties wearing out.  I never heard of alloy S&W frames cracking like was common on Colt Commanders.   Most feeding problems could be resolved by ammo or polishing the feed ramp and chamber.  The later 2nd and 3rd generation S&W are superior in design and reliability compared to the 39/39-2/59.  

My Department discontinued using the 3rd Generation S&W and transitioned to Glock because of the safe action trigger and not requiring hand fitted parts.  There were advocates in the department who argued the safety of the DA/SA design but they lost out due to the Glock ease in training new cadets.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
These might work.... if you don't want the front and back strap....

Grips
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top