Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2014 1:30:38 PM EDT
My dad just gave me his 4006 to do with what I want. It as 4 mags with it. He used when he was with the police. The night sights are almost out.  I was going sell it and buy another glock.

Then again, it could be kept as a solid garage gun. I know LEO's are attempting to dump them.

I just wondered if those bricks will still be worth hanging on to. I know its a personal choice. There is no sentimental value to it....

Pros or cons......help me see something I'm not thinking about......thanks ahead of time.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
With what they sell for it probably has much better value as a garage gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Garage gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Garage gun.  I'd try to keep at as an heirloom though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
How old are you?

I'll bet you'll regret selling an heirloom later in your life for something as simple as a run-of-the-mill Glock.  Given how cheap they are, I would just buy a Glock if you want one and hold on to your dad's service weapon.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Garage gun.
View Quote

Yup

Those guns are pretty rock solid.  But S&W isnt supporting the 3rd gen guns any more.  

Nothing truly special about it as an heirloom really other than sentimental.  

I'd personally rather have a PD trade Glock 22
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
You might be able to trade it for a trade-in G22. I would hang on to it, it's not like you have a ton of money tied up in it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How old are you?

I'll bet you'll regret selling an heirloom later in your life for something as simple as a run-of-the-mill Glock.  Given how cheap they are, I would just buy a Glock if you want one and hold on to your dad's service weapon.
View Quote

The biggest reason that I got rid of mine was the 11 round capacity.  Considering the Glock 22, 23, 27, M&P 40, and Compact, I just couldn't see keeping it.  However, I can guarantee there will come a day, God forbid, maybe your fathers funeral that you will wish that you kept the gun he carried as a LEO.  Trust me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Thankyou all for your perspective. I am likely going to keep it now.

My question though, is it still serviceable? Can I still get parts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad you're going to keep it. There really is no substitute for showing your kids grandpa's service pistol and even more when they show their kids great-grandads service pistol...especially when all they have is phased plasma rifles in the 40-watt range.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The biggest reason that I got rid of mine was the 11 round capacity.  Considering the Glock 22, 23, 27, M&P 40, and Compact, I just couldn't see keeping it.  However, I can guarantee there will come a day, God forbid, maybe your fathers funeral that you will wish that you kept the gun he carried as a LEO.  Trust me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How old are you?

Yep.  

My wife's dad had 5 kids - 3 boys and 2 girls.  3 of his kids served in the military and 2 didn't.  All of his kids were successful.  My wife is an Air Force IDMT, 1 became an Air Force pilot, 1 became a CBP officer, 1 became a lawyer, and 1 works manufacturing for Ryobi.  Despite having sons who love guns, somehow my wife and I ended up with his Beretta 96G he got when he retired from the ISP, her grandfather's S&W 66 he got when he retired from the ISP, and her grandfather's S&W 4506-1 he carried as a police chief after retiring from the ISP.  I believe we got them because the intent was for them to be passed down to our sons since we have the only male grandchildren in the family.  I was never told that was why, and I certainly have no attachment to the 4506-1, but those pistols will reside in my safe until my kids come of age and show interest or until the day I die, whichever comes first.  They are family heirlooms, meant to be passed down as a link from one generation to the next.  Most anything in my safe can be replaced.  I can't replace these.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Serviceable?  Yes.

Spare parts?  Check Gunbroker, Numrich, etc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

It would be prudent to do a full spring replacement.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#13]
All the Smith 3rd Gen pistols are built like tanks. They've also hit the bottom of their depreciation curve and are starting to go back up.

It's my understanding that Smith will now make 3rd Gen spare parts in batches instead of continuously stocking them, so still repairable.

I'd hang on to that 4006 if I were you
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd try to keep at as an heirloom though.
View Quote

Just like my grandfather's 1911 that was built in 1914 would bring major $$$ today, it stays in the safe and I carry/compete with Glocks. You'll regret selling it.

I'm still pissed at my now deceased alkie uncle that sold the other things that my grandfather had that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe Trijicon will re-lamp your night sights for about $50 IIRC. All you have to do is send them the slide. As mentioned earlier, S&W has not abandoned this pistols yet. Sometimes it just takes getting a knowledgeable person on the line when calling customer service.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks all for your input....greatly appreciated....
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
With what they sell for it probably has much better value as a garage gun.
View Quote

this, keep it around
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd keep it.  4006's are solid guns that are superbly reliable.  And if it fails you can beat your opponent to death with it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#19]
They're great guns and glad you're hanging on to it.

I love my 4006 TSW... it's my bedside gun right now.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep it and save your $ for the Glock. I had to sell my first duty gun due to $ issues and I wish I was able to keep it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top