Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2014 9:51:09 PM EDT
Boom.

Here it is guys.

First a short disclaimer.  I consider Randy and Scott personal friends of mine so this trigger kit was sent to me for evaluation.  To them, i am the layman, the simple guy that shoots, analyzes his shooting and is always on the lookout for interesting gear that will aid in performance on the range.  This trigger was sent to me for evaluation at no charge and the only request from the brains at Apex was that i do my very best to break it.  Given my history with their products, i doubt i am going to be able to break it but i will most certainly try.

Now that we have that out of the way, lets move into some details.  A lot of what i will share comes from the personal conversations ive had with Randy and Scott about the development of the trigger and why it exists.  When these two dudes talk, i shut my yak hole and listen.  Between the two of them, their collective engineering knowledge is staggering.  I liken them both to Sheldon and Leonard on The Big Bang Theory....at least in regard to the size of their brains.  They're not quite as abrasive and deserving of knee capping as Sheldon. :P  I will leave it up to you as to who is who.

Anyway, in laymans terms, the trigger was specifically designed to mirror a 1911 trigger or the characteristics that make the 1911 trigger so desirable.  As we all know, the less we influence the pistol when we press the trigger, the more accurate the shot will be.  With minimal movement in the actual trigger arc and throw, a shooter will always be more accurate.  Couple this with a world class trigger break and you've got the makings of a gun that is beyond easy to shoot well with the only limiting factor being the mechanical accuracy of the pistol itself.

The amount of thought, research and design time that went into the making of this trigger is staggering and every time Randy and Scott start brain storming and discussing design evolution, my head begins to hurt.  There are a ton of triggers on the market but very few with any real design intent behind them.  Simply machining a shoe out of aluminum is not the way to go about things.  Sitting down with design criteria and designing a trigger shoe around said criteria is the way to accomplish what Apex has accomplished with this trigger.  I will spare you the actual details involved with the ergonomic design criteria that the boys set forth for themselves and the trigger but it is REALLY impressive how they actually sat down and thought about how the human interacts with the trigger itself.  The trigger shape and length again are maximized to minimize the amount the human will influence the trigger press.

I am impressed, more so than i was with the original FSS and this trigger in my mind, takes things to the next level.

Lastly, as with everything that Apex does, this product is not about flash, lightning cuts, buzz words, tactical asshattery or flat dark earth Combatz.  This trigger is about results and man does it deliver.

The trigger kit will be available at Brownells and will retail for 169.95.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD14Dmocthg
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this the same as the standard FSS but with a flat-faced trigger?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Joe,

Not quite.  The trigger feel between the two is vastly different.  The traditional FSS feels like it is a rotating or hinged SOLID trigger whereas this feels like a 1911 straight push.

Its really quite impressive that they managed to accomplish this in a system that inherently has a pivoting trigger.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Will I be able to have Scott put it in my 45C?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Interdasting...
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Joe,

Not quite.  The trigger feel between the two is vastly different.  The traditional FSS feels like it is a rotating or hinged SOLID trigger whereas this feels like a 1911 straight push.

Its really quite impressive that they managed to accomplish this in a system that inherently has a pivoting trigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Joe,

Are any of the parts between the flat faced trigger kit and standard FSS kit different besides the trigger itself? If I already have an aluminum FSS kit installed can I simply swap to the new flat trigger?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Are any of the parts between the flat faced trigger kit and standard FSS kit different besides the trigger itself? If I already have an aluminum FSS kit installed can I simply swap to the new flat trigger?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joe,

YEP!  You will be able to swap JUST the trigger and as per Randy, the trigger shoe will by sold by itself.  I just want to confirm that you need the forward set sear and firing in block in order to make the flat faced trigger work.

In regard to the other poster, i dont think Scott does much gunsmithing these days but they do have gunsmiths on staff that are world class that would be happy to do the install for you. :)
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I just bought an m&p40 because of you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just bought an m&p40 because of you.
View Quote

Im having a hell of at time resisting...there are a TON of LE trade in .40's on the market and they're staring at me...calling my name...

Guys, i will have the overview video up, ideally tomorrow showing what comes in the kit.  Any questions, fire away!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it Ram compatible or need a specific slide stop?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it Ram compatible or need a specific slide stop?
View Quote

It IS ram compatible but you must use the included RAM spring.

You can run the setup with ANY gen slide stop.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
When can I get my mittens on this fine piece of craftsmanship?  These will work in a M&P Pro 9mm right.  I assume M&P means the whole line of M&P.

Whoohooo, got my Xmas stocking stuffer!  lol...
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#12]
They should be out this week.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I forgot to ask if it will work with a mag safety.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The mag disconnect?  Yes, it does but id probably remove that if it were my gun.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The mag disconnect?  Yes, it does but id probably remove that if it were my gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand most people hate em.  I had one in a 4506-1 and liked it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Roger that!  To each their own!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Know where to find the new style sear housing and ejector in Stock?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I need one of these.  I undercut the trigger guard on my MP45C so that I could comfortably get all my fingers on the gun with the small magazine floor plate, so that I wouldn't need that goofy extended one.  It worked, but now my trigger finger lands on a bad spot of my Apex polymer trigger.  The curve on the Apex is really strange, in that it does not allow a good trigger pull if you grab it high.  This probably would.  I hope they make a polymer version of this.  Would this work on an Apex duty/carry kit?  I have the FSS, but I was considering changing to the DAC.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#19]
What is the spring with the blue paint for? 3/16x 1/4 inch I can't see where it goes. Got the kit instaled and shot it yesterday. Like it quite a lot more than the duty/carry kit with Apex poly trigger that I was running
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#20]
went back to their web site and answered my own question, it's a RAM spring. Haven't seen one of the old sear blocks in a while.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
went back to their web site and answered my own question, it's a RAM spring. Haven't seen one of the old sear blocks in a while.
View Quote

Sorry i didnt get back to you sooner!!!  That spring is indeed the ram spring.

Hows the kit treating you?

I went ahead and filmed an overview of what the kit includes that would have answered your question if i had gotten to this thread earlier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBnWVvFGoYs
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#22]
If my dad wants my M&P 9 w. FSS I will get a .40 and add one of these, though I am still reeling from my recent Shield Carry/Trigger Kit install from earlier this week (as an aside, as a friend of theirs, could you gently break the news in a constructive way that their installation videos f$#*ing suck a donkey's raging @!#* and aside from fabricating a Johnny Cash tribute ala San Quentin for my hate of this kit as installed it, I also devised a drinking game wherein the viewer takes a drink every time the word "articulate(d)" is stated in the damned video).

Based on the sheer PITA of the install, I would rather sell an Apex gun and replace new than replace an Apex with an Apex. They are absolutely worth the upgrade from the HORRIBLE stock trigger (and any improvement over the already-great standard FSS would mean an AMAZING trigger) but it is not worth spending money to undo all the time and money spent on the initial upgrade done the first time.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If my dad wants my M&P 9 w. FSS I will get a .40 and add one of these, though I am still reeling from my recent Shield Carry/Trigger Kit install from earlier this week (as an aside, as a friend of theirs, could you gently break the news in a constructive way that their installation videos f$#*ing suck a donkey's raging @!#* and aside from fabricating a Johnny Cash tribute ala San Quentin for my hate of this kit as installed it, I also devised a drinking game wherein the viewer takes a drink every time the word "articulate(d)" is stated in the damned video).

Based on the sheer PITA of the install, I would rather sell an Apex gun and replace new than replace an Apex with an Apex. They are absolutely worth the upgrade from the HORRIBLE stock trigger (and any improvement over the already-great standard FSS would mean an AMAZING trigger) but it is not worth spending money to undo all the time and money spent on the initial upgrade done the first time.
View Quote

The only part i had any problem with was that trigger roll pin. That was terrible. Easier since they're now starting the pin, but getting it lined up was a pita.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The only part i had any problem with was that trigger roll pin. That was terrible. Easier since they're now starting the pin, but getting it lined up was a pita.
View Quote

Interesting that you note that. My Shield came pre-started as well. The install video shows the trigger bar "snapping in place" into the pre-hammered trigger. I place my trigger bar  and... nada. I gingerly manage a few taps. Nothing. I give it a good whack. still flush (and evident nobody pre-hammered to the convenient depth as claimed by the video). WHACK - Nothing. WHACK WHACK - Nothing. WHACK WHACK WHACK... somewhere in all that nonsense it went too far and then it was a "whack attack" to drive it back, followed by the old trial and error to get the hole to line up on my own as I drove the pin through the bar and trigger. The resulting shit-beating of the pin also compressed/bent the trigger body which squeezed the trigger bar, necessitating a careful readjustment with a flat-tipped screwdriver inside the groove where the trigger bar was mounted.

Again, top notch design and workmanship, but piss-poor delivery with respect to getting the end-user to drop one into his weapon.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Interesting that you note that. My Shield came pre-started as well. The install video shows the trigger bar "snapping in place" into the pre-hammered trigger. I place my trigger bar  and... nada. I gingerly manage a few taps. Nothing. I give it a good whack. still flush (and evident nobody pre-hammered to the convenient depth as claimed by the video). WHACK - Nothing. WHACK WHACK - Nothing. WHACK WHACK WHACK... somewhere in all that nonsense it went too far and then it was a "whack attack" to drive it back, followed by the old trial and error to get the hole to line up on my own as I drove the pin through the bar and trigger. The resulting shit-beating of the pin also compressed/bent the trigger body which squeezed the trigger bar, necessitating a careful readjustment with a flat-tipped screwdriver inside the groove where the trigger bar was mounted.

Again, top notch design and workmanship, but piss-poor delivery with respect to getting the end-user to drop one into his weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You screwed up the install and its somehow someone elses fault?

These kits arent marketed as drop in.  The DCAEK kits are marketed as drop in but even then, gunsmith installation is recommended.

The thing about Apex is that they listen to their customers.  The trigger pin was originally a separate piece and after receiving feedback from their beta testers, apex went ahead and started the pin to ease the installation.

A trick to getting the pin installed and in place is to NOT hammer it.  Put the trigger in a padded vice and PRESS the pin through the trigger bar by simply tightening the vice.

Then again, maybe you should take it to a gunsmith?  Given how much difficulty you had in using a hammer you're liable to burn your house down trying to use a bench vice.  Good luck bud.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top