Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2014 3:08:07 PM EDT
I am a vehement supporter of Trijicon HD sights with the yellow front.  I literally have them on every handgun I own, and now I have come into a slight dilemma.

The M&P9 VTAC that I ordered eons ago finally, is coming in, and as you all know it has some very elaborate sights.

I was hoping to get some feedback from users of the VTAC sights and determine if I should waste my time, or just replace them right off the bat with HD's, and flip the sights on the EE.

My biggest concern is the rear sight being busy during the day.  I am used to a "blacked out" rear ala the HD, but I figured worst case I could simply cover the fiber optic window to reduce the visibility during the day.  The tritium is fine as is, so thats not a concern.  

I'd replace the rear with a 10-8, but then I'd have a really expensive factory VTAC rear laying around that would be worthless, and I DO like a 3 dot sight picture with tritium.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious of this as well.  In the market for some sights for my M&P.  They definitely look interesting, I can't see paying $240 for them to try though so I'm kind of stuck.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm curious of this as well.  In the market for some sights for my M&P.  They definitely look interesting, I can't see paying $240 for them to try though so I'm kind of stuck.
View Quote

Good new is depending on where you are in IL, you may be able to get a chance to see em up close
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard they have problems working loose and falling off.  Hopefully fixed by now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I like mine. They are bright in the day and bright at night.

I've never really picked up on all 6 dots and felt they were too busy
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, I have had the gun since they came out. I will be honest, they take some getting used too.
The night sights, you can not see during the day, I couldnt anyways.
The fiber optics on the Vtac sights are super bright. So bright that people normally cover the tops of the back sight to subdue the brightness during the day. Doesnt bother me though.
I like the sights, I really do. Some do not, but its a personal preference thing. To be honest, if you like and are used to blacked out rear sights, you probably wont like them.
40 Vtac
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've heard they have problems working loose and falling off.  Hopefully fixed by now.
View Quote

I guess it was a problem one the earlier models, but on the newer ones I read that they were covered with some sort of transparent epoxy to seal them inside.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got my M&P Vtac, I like the sights.  I don't even notice the tritium sights during the day.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good new is depending on where you are in IL, you may be able to get a chance to see em up close
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be awesome, I'm in the Western suburbs - St. Charles/Elburn area.  Sadly can't make the HTF meetup you guys have going, I'll be at the zombie shoot though.  I'm curious to what your first opinion is once you get your hands on it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Will they fit on a full size 45 ?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

All the M&P sights are the same height, so yes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for the Pro and L models.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have HD's on my Pro 5" and L and they have the same POI as my 4.25's with the same sights.

The .180 front on the Pro usually makes the round impact behind the fiber optic dot, rather that at the top of the sight post, at least that is what I have discovered in my limited experience.  I've put "regular" sights on 3 5" guns with the same results.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll be honest, the VTAC sights are some of the sights I like least out of all the styles I have (Trijicon HDs, Mepros, Dawson, ect...) they're busy IMO and the POA/POI is odd for me personally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top