Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 6:03:06 PM EDT
I just picked up my first M&P the other day used and they said it came with an Apex trigger in it. Is there anyway to see from these photos if this is true ?
http://i59.tinypic.com/xde2q.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/2m64l00.jpg
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#1]
No, even with a close look at the sear it is tough to tell by a photo of the frame components. The best indicator is the striker block (visible in the underside of the slide) - if it is smoothly rounded then it at least is an Apex part, whereas if the angled edges are sharp they are more likely stock parts.

Feel is probably the best indicator. If the trigger feels long and smooth, chances are it is an Apex. If it has lots of bumping and crunching, it is the stock trigger.

ETA: Strictly speaking PineappleDevil is correct in saying that the trigger itself is a stock part (as opposed to the Apex FSS), but that is not unusual and does not mean you have been misled. When most folks say they have an "Apex trigger", they are referring to upgraded Apex internal fire control components (sear, striker block, springs etc. - collectively the Apex DCAEK) which make a meaningful improvement in feel with no externally visible changes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:21:29 AM EDT
[#2]
That is not an Apex trigger. As far as it having other Apex parts in it (sear, striker safety, etc) I'd have to see it to know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Factory sears have a shiney finish on them, apex sears have a matte finish on them.

Hard to tell based on that picture since only half of the sear is in it.

Also take a picture of the striker block.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Well the sear looks dark. It is probably an Apex sear. As said though the trigger is definitely a stock articulated M&P trigger. The Apex trigger is beefier and has a Glock style trigger face trigger safety. It's possible all it has is the Apex sear. The DCAEK setup includes a new trigger spring (the Apex spring does not have the foam inside it and appears more tapered), sear, sear spring , striker block (this is also dark and not shiny), and striker block spring.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:07:16 AM EDT
[#7]
(the Apex spring does not have the foam inside it and appears more tapered)
View Quote

It did on my Shield kit. Both springs (stock and Apex) had them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#8]
It looks like an Apex trigger return spring and sear at least.  Hard to tell about the rest.  Definitely not a FSS trigger.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:25:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I disagree about the sear. Compare your sear to the picture of the Apex sear, they look to have completely different angles (especially on the lower 'shelf.'

Definitely not the Apex trigger itself.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#10]
If I could pull the trigger I could tell you. The original sears are more of a silver color, the Apex sears are darker in color. If you have an Apex sear the the springs are probably their as well.

eta On a Shield the S&W springs are yellow so they don't confuse them with the reg M&P springs.

If it's better than any stock Glock trigger you've ever shot then it's an Apex.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(the Apex spring does not have the foam inside it and appears more tapered)

When I asked Randy Lee about it a few years ago he said that the Apex trigger return spring is shot peened and the foam core isn't necessary to reduce fatigue on the spring. He said the Apex spring should be good for some absurd number of trigger pulls (a million maybe?). Perhaps this has changed, but when I bought mine they did not have a foam core and that was why Randy said it didn't. For some reason my messages on the M&P Pistol Forum regarding this are gone or I'd post them. Bizarre that they disappeared. I have the e-mail notifying me in Gmail that I had a private message from Randy and I wouldn't have deleted them but somehow they disappeared.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Curious as to who is "they?"

Did you buy the pistol NIB?

Better, clearer pictures of the sear in better light from multiple angles would be useful. It looks stock from those photos. What is that to the left of the sear in the photos - something having to do with the safety?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Best way to tell without taking the gun apart is to pull the trigger back so there is no pretravel left, but before it breaks. The should be between 1/8" and 1/4" left before the trigger hits that bump stop on the frame. Stock set up breaks much earlier in the trigger movement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top