Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 2:07:26 PM EDT
I've got a 40c and a factory 9mm barrel and 2 17 round 9mm mags.  About once every 50 rounds or so with 9mm mags and  barrel I will have a stovepipe or a double feed.  Never any problem with 40 doing this?  Is there a way to make the 9mm feed and cycle more reliably?  I like the versatility of being able to purchase either 40 or 9mm because when 9mm is scarce I can usually get 40, but when 9mm is plentiful it is about $20 per 250 rounds to shoot 9.  My wife hates shooting the 40 and has a 9mm, so i've been thinking about getting rid of the 40 so I don't have another caliber to buy for, but if I could get the 9mm to work reliably in the 9mm barrel and mags then I would just keep it as it is.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#1]
9mm Extractor? There actually is a few thousands difference between the two. A 9mm ejector might be in order too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
9mm Extractor? There actually is a few thousands difference between the two. A 9mm ejector might be in order too.
View Quote

Wouldn't that eliminate the ability to shoot 40?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#3]
With my glock I swapped the barrels. With my HK I had to swap the recoil assembly as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I understand the only difference between the .40 and 9mm M&Ps (other than magazine and markings) is that the tang at the rear of a 9mm barrel is a tiny bit smaller than the .40 S&W.  Everything else has the same part number.  

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure all that stuff is identical.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
So let me ask you this, if for some reason you couldn't buy 40 ammo would you feel confident enough to trust your life to 9mm out of the 40 with a 9mm barrel and 9mm mags?

*edited to fix typo
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So let me ask you this, if for some reason you couldn't buy 40 ammo would you feel confident enough to trust your life to 9mm out of the 40 barrel and 9mm mags?
View Quote

I hope you got that mixed up.  The answer to the question asked is a definite no.  If what you meant to ask is if I would trust my life to a 9mm barrel in my .40 compact using 9mm mags the answer is a definite yes.  I have had nothing but great results out of a Storm lake conversion barrel for my compact.  I would trust my life to an inexpensive 9mm OEM barrel as well.  When I was looking to buy mine they were impossible to find so I got the SL.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I want to clarify... I would trust my life with it after testing it thoroughly (couple hundred rounds for me to be confident).
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:01:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:04:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

9mm out of a 40 barrel? No

A 9mm barrel and mags out of a 40 gun? Yes, if properly tested and showed to be reliable.

After I got the 9mm barrel and mags, my 40 ran flawlessly for over 1500 rounds before I got out of the 40 caliber.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So let me ask you this, if for some reason you couldn't buy 40 ammo would you feel confident enough to trust your life to 9mm out of the 40 barrel and 9mm mags?

A 9mm barrel and mags out of a 40 gun? Yes, if properly tested and showed to be reliable.

After I got the 9mm barrel and mags, my 40 ran flawlessly for over 1500 rounds before I got out of the 40 caliber.

Yeah I made a typo on that I i meant 9mm out of 9mm barrel in 40 gun.  I just wish I could get it to cycle right for me.  Maybe I need to try some different ammo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#12]
A couple of things...

How many rounds are through the slide and frame in total?  Both .40 and 9mm.

Can you take a couple pictures of the 9mm barrel, particularly the feed ramp?  Maybe a side by side with the .40 barrel as well?

What is your S&W test fire date or production date for your 40c?  There have been small changes to parts such as slide stop assembly, barrels, magazine feed ramp, etc.  If you have under 5k rounds through your firearm I doubt any of these things would be an issue but it could be more data to help figure this out.

I do not know an obvious reason that you would have problems with a 9mm barrel in your .40.  So, I would closely examine the firearm for any issues.

After gathering all this info I would then start to point at form and if maybe your thumbs are interfering with the slide or slide stop.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I shoot IDPA with a .40pro with a 9mm storm lake conversion barrel. no issues.

I have always wondered if the extra space at the barrel hood of a factory 9mm would allow lateral movement of the barrel when used with a .40 slide.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

New.  I guess I'll try to shoot it this weekend and see if I notice any of the things from above.  I'll have to check the manufacture date etc when I get home.  

Did you buy the mags new or used?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I made a typo on that I i meant 9mm out of 9mm barrel in 40 gun.  I just wish I could get it to cycle right for me.  Maybe I need to try some different ammo.

New.  I guess I'll try to shoot it this weekend and see if I notice any of the things from above.  I'll have to check the manufacture date etc when I get home.  

Did you buy the mags new or used?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A couple of things...

How many rounds are through the slide and frame in total?  Both .40 and 9mm.

Can you take a couple pictures of the 9mm barrel, particularly the feed ramp?  Maybe a side by side with the .40 barrel as well?

What is your S&W test fire date or production date for your 40c?  There have been small changes to parts such as slide stop assembly, barrels, magazine feed ramp, etc.  If you have under 5k rounds through your firearm I doubt any of these things would be an issue but it could be more data to help figure this out.

I do not know an obvious reason that you would have problems with a 9mm barrel in your .40.  So, I would closely examine the firearm for any issues.

After gathering all this info I would then start to point at form and if maybe your thumbs are interfering with the slide or slide stop.
View Quote

Maybe 300-400 40 and 100-200 9mm

Test fire date is Marcy 2009.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top