Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 4:43:17 PM EDT
Greetings,

Has anybody had issues with the 7rd Shield 9mm mag? On most occasions it will not drop free. I tested with full, partial, empty mag in addition to the slide off the gun. It drops about an inch when I press the mag release. Then I am forced to pull it out the rest of the way.

As I can't call S&W during the times they are open due to work, I sent them an email today and awaiting response but wanted to see what ARFCOM experiences are.

Craig
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#1]
No problems with mine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Just checked mine. The (unloaded) mag pops out fine. Even if I hold the gun side ways the mag still comes almost all the way out. Is it possible your fingers or hand are interfering with the mag when you hit the release?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:20:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Haven't noticed the issue with mine, with the 7 round or 8 round mags.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just checked mine. The (unloaded) mag pops out fine. Even if I hold the gun side ways the mag still comes almost all the way out. Is it possible your fingers or hand are interfering with the mag when you hit the release?
View Quote

I have tried holding the frame sideways to ensure no finger is in the way.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
The only force that sends the magazine out is from the magazine spring right?  Does an empty magazine go further out when the slide is closed as opposed to locked open?  Mine does as the slide catch puts more force on the follower when closed.

I'd look close at the slide catch as well as the magazine spring...and don't forget the mag catch.  I've found that if I hold the magazine somewhat in while releasing, and release the mag catch button, the friction caused by the mag catch on the body of the magazine will stop it in its tracks.  

All of these statements apply to an empty magazine.  

Here's a test you can do:

Insert an empty 7rd magazine and lock the slide open.  Then point the muzzle upwards and try to make the handle (grip) perfectly level.  Then, while only only holding the slide, press and hold the mag release as hard as you can and keep the button in all the way.  The magazine should come out as far as the #7 round inspection hole of the magazine.  If not, try angling it down a tad bit and do it again.  All it takes is  a slight decline in angle and the magazine will damn near slide out for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:21:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Greetings,

Has anybody had issues with the 7rd Shield 9mm mag? On most occasions it will not drop free. I tested with full, partial, empty mag in addition to the slide off the gun. It drops about an inch when I press the mag release. Then I am forced to pull it out the rest of the way.

As I can't call S&W during the times they are open due to work, I sent them an email today and awaiting response but wanted to see what ARFCOM experiences are.

Craig
View Quote

email S&W
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top