Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2014 5:33:47 PM EDT
I'm looking a getting one of these as a carry gun and was looking for some feedback from anyone who has one.  

Be brutally honest.  

What are the pros/cons.

would you recommend this gun or have you had better luck/prefer another?

thanks
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry a Shield 40 now. Traded in my gen 3 Glock 27.

Pros: it's much thinner than my old Glock. It's easier to conceal (in my opinion) and nicer to shoot (again, opinion). Quite accurate for the barrel length.
Cons: it's not a Glock seriously, no real complaints. Trigger was nice compared to other M&Ps I've shot. I wish it had more magazine capacity but also like the small package.

I did toss Ameriglo night sights on mine and I carry it with the safety off.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently got one, like it so far. Its another tool in the box, more for deep concealment than EDC.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
40 SHIELD is one of my CCW choices

I like it a lot

I carry it most often

No complaints

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:09:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I am carrying a 40 shield. I used to carry a G 27. I have about 450 rds thru it. It has been flawless up to this point. I carry it a a back up to my Glock 22 when on duty and carry it everywhere off duty. On duty i carry it either in my front pocket or in an ankle holster. It is great for an ankle holster and while is a little bid for pocket carry it still works good with uniform pants but probably would not work for Levis. Off duty I carry it IWB either at the 1 o clock or appendix area or in the 2-3 o clock position. I t carries great and basically dispersal with a decent belt.

The only thing I miss about the G 27 is the magazine compatibility it has with a G22. I like the sights on the SHield better and the trigger is about the same nothing to write home about.

Overall a great carry piece.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:12:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a .40 Shield. I loved how slim it was and it was awesome to carry, however I wanted more mag capacity, so I made the jump to the 9c. Now instead of 6 and 7+1, I have 12+1 with a full size 17 round mag in my pocket.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I made the jump to the 9c. Now instead of 6 and 7+1, I have 12+1 with a full size 17 round mag in my pocket.
View Quote

I too enjoy that feeling.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#7]
After shooting my buddies Shield .40 I also opted for the M&P Compact as my first CCW pistol.

It could be that I don't have enough experience shooting sub compacts but I found the Shield to be too snappy. It also required too much manipulation to attain a good grip and finger placement. The slightly wider grip of the Compact is easier to naturally grip and the recoil is much easier to manage in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a 9mm shield. Love it. Honestly I can't stand the feel of the compact models, they are too thick for how stubby the grip is.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Double post... damn, my first one.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I pocket carry one almost everyday!  

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Love the Shield 40! It is accurate, reliable, small and has decent ballistics. Mine wears a CTC laser that was money well spent.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:34:25 AM EDT
[#12]
for those saying the 40 is too snappy I would look at the 9mm. It is a dream to shoot. Recoil is almost non existent.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Shot both and all things considered the 9 is the way to go.  And I am not a .40 hater.

My EDC is a G23 for 14 years.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I carry one almost every day, I love it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I got the 9mm version.  The trigger was actually very good and crisp.  That being said, the praise that everyone gave the Apex trigger convinced me to buy the kit.  The trigger is now incredibly awesome.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#16]
do it... i carry mine everywhere..

i love it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I use to carry a Glock 23, Now I have a Shield in 40 and love it, It takes some getting use to, But it is a great carry unit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:13:58 AM EDT
[#18]
The only con I can think of is that you lose capacity, only carrying 6 to 8 rounds instead of 13 - 15 rounds.  For me, I often wouldn't carry my G19 because it wasn't comfortable, so the extra capacity was made moot.  I carry my Shield 9mm everywhere except work, as I can't there.  To me, it's safer to carry a weapon with fewer rounds than to have the weapon with higher capacity sitting at home ;)
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:38:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The only con I can think of is that you lose capacity, only carrying 6 to 8 rounds instead of 13 - 15 rounds.  For me, I often wouldn't carry my G19 because it wasn't comfortable, so the extra capacity was made moot.  I carry my Shield 9mm everywhere except work, as I can't there.  To me, it's safer to carry a weapon with fewer rounds than to have the weapon with higher capacity sitting at home ;)
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:54:36 AM EDT
[#20]
9mm is better.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

9mm is better.
View Quote
They see me trollin....they hatin...

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
9mm is better.

Obvious troll is obvious.  

And correct.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:52:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I got the 9mm version.  The trigger was actually very good and crisp.  That being said, the praise that everyone gave the Apex trigger convinced me to buy the kit.  The trigger is now incredibly awesome.
View Quote

Did you install it yourself ? If so, how hard is it to swap out ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The in-gun work is easy. Drive a couple pins out, remove parts, replace parts, reassemble. Hour job if you take it slow and steady, max.

However, then sear block is located under the rear sight and is it's whole special animal. You'll need a vice, a big hammer, a big punch, and some patience.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
9mm is better.
View Quote

At what, pissing felons off?

Couldn't resist...
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:42:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I carry this gun as often as I can. I'm on active duty so I can't carry on post. That being said it stays on my hip when I am off duty. Pistol conceals exceptionally well and is very comfortable. It has a good amount of recoil but is definitely manageable with a little bit of practice. I am looking to upgrade to an APEX trigger just because. The stock trigger isn't bad at all. The only con I can think of is the recoil if you are not used to shooting a .40
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:06:25 AM EDT
[#27]
If you are confident in your ability to manage .40 S&W out of such a small firearm... go for it.  I had trouble initially with my M&P 40c and learned to control it and how important a proper firm grip was.  If it was me, I would get the .40 Shield and order a 9mm barrel.  That way you have options if you find the recoil isn't manageable for you.  I have a preference for .40 S&W so I overcame my inexperience and worked on my technique and I deal with it just fine, out of the M&P 40c that is easier to overcome than with the Shield.  More info on the conversion below:

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did install it myself, but if I had to do it over again, I'd have a smith do it.

You can't get the sights out without the proper tools.  I found a cheap sight pusher online for like $60 or so.  It worked eventually, but the pusher has a few scars to show for it.  S&W REALLY puts those sights in, especially the front one.  The back one is easier, and it's the only one you need to mess with for the trigger.  I happened to buy a set of sights to replace mine, and did everything in one step.

Not 100% sure, but if you only need the back sight taken out, a delrin rod and hammer may be all you need.  I never tried it that way though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#29]
I carry a Shield 40 most of the time and love it, It is easy to conceal, Like the feel of it and I don't know it is there like my Glock 23. I carry IWB using a Sticky holster.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa115/bkaradimos/Guns/DSC_5099.jpg~original

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa115/bkaradimos/Guns/DSC_5104.jpg~original
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[div style='text-align: center;']I carry a Shield 40 most of the time and love it, It is easy to conceal, Like the feel of it and I don't know it is there like my Glock 23. I carry IWB using a Sticky holster.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa115/bkaradimos/Guns/DSC_5099.jpg~original

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa115/bkaradimos/Guns/DSC_5104.jpg~original
View Quote

I carry the Shield 9mm every day and can't love it more. That said, if i were a .40 man I would still carry the Shield in .40.

craig
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for all the great replies.

I went to the LGS today and compared the shield vs the core, and the shield felt way better in my hand.  The extended mag really offered a nice grip, and I was impressed with how slim it was.  

I also like that it has a safety

I've always been a big fan of the .40, and that what I intended on getting,  but I find myself leaning towards the 9mm

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#32]
get the 40
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
get the 40
View Quote

This
Love my .40 shield
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I pocket carry the Shield .40. I dont feel it is snappy at all for a .40cal especially considering the size of the pistol. The trigger was good out of the box.. but I dropped in an APEX trigger for a small but noticeable improvement. TBH the improvement in trigger feel offered by the APEX kit  for the Shield is not near as dramatic as it is for the Fullsize M&P. If I could do it again I wouldn't  do the trigger change.

All in all it is my favorite CCW pistol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#35]
My .40 shield is my first carry gun, bought it in July last year. Been carrying it on a daily basis and it's very comfortable. It's a bit snapper, just hold it tight and let it snap your hands ;) I use a Foxx Kydex from Amazon. I put over 400 rounds through it. Going to take it to FPF training concealment course this weekend in Culpeper VA.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
for those saying the 40 is too snappy I would look at the 9mm. It is a dream to shoot. Recoil is almost non existent.
View Quote

Have only shot the my 9mm Shield, but I have an XDM40 and had a PF9 for a few months before getting the Shield.

The PF9 wasn't fun to do a 250rd break in. The Shield 9 is, as said, a dream. Based on all this, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 40SW Shield.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top