Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2014 1:50:01 PM EDT
Topic pretty much says to all, anyone?
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Not yet. I want one, though. I can live with the trigger. It's a neat little gun. Good on them for going with a stainless steel barrel instead of staying with an MIM barrel.

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have shot one in .40, and I liked it. its an all around good package for me.
Got the next one to come in at a local shop, they have had quite a few already.
Mine will be a 9

scruff
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine will be a 9

scruff
View Quote

I didn't know they make a .40 or 9 in the bodyguard...thought it was .380?
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#4]
It is; he probably thought I was talking about the Shield.

Question still applies.

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mine will be a 9

scruff
View Quote

Fail

They seem to be taking complaints and working on them with it. I heard the trigger wasn't as awful
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine will be a 9

scruff

my bad. reading failure on my part.
carry on
scruff out
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot it at the Shot Show, the trigger on it was heads over shoulders above any bodyguard I had tried before.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Are there any no laser Bodyguard specific holsters out yet?
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They told us to expect ours in April.  We have 200 of LE/Military program models on order.
View Quote

Talked to a Smith & Wesson rep yesterday at Town Gun Supply's Smith & Wesson Days in Martinsville, VA who said they didn't start the production line of the M&P Bodyguard until last week. The run would have to be tested and then would be ready to fulfill orders. So April sounds about right.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#11]
a friend of mine bought one with the laser last weekend for his wife, he hasn't shot it yet though. There were three different dealers at the show that had one for sale and he paid $365 + tax for it. I looked it over a bit and it seemed like a quality gun.

ETA. his was just a regular Bodyguard, not an M&P. I didn't realize they were two separate models.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Thread needs pics
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Handled one today.  Could have bought it for $399 plus tax

I am so happy this has been released.  My other Bodyguard with laser had the laser securing screw back out at the range and it locked the gun up.  It took me over an hour to get the gun stripped and that's when I saw what happened.  Since the laser is held in my the crappiest screw, it never could get torqued in well as the allen wrenches were so dainty and small, you'd break the allen wrench trying to torque it down.

So after S&W fixed my Bodyguard, I traded it towards a Shield.  I'll never get one of those again.  And then, I run into this pistol in an email from Quantico Tactical today.  I had no idea it was being released.  I am sure to get one this year, just not sure when.  

From what I can tell, it's the only pocket .380 with second strike capability right?  I absolutely loved my Bodyguard, everything except how the laser mounted.  They should have used a pin horizontally through the frame to hold the laser assembly in, not one of the smallest screws in the world.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#15]
My FFL has a stack of these.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I traded it towards a Shield.  I'll never get one of those again.
View Quote

Can you expand on why?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Reposting from my reply in the picture thread.....

I purchased mine on at a LGS on 3/11,

Only found one issue with it so far, The mags would not go in without pressing the mag release slightly. I noticed it on the two other bodyguards at the store also but it was no deal breaker for me. I saw what was going on and it would be a quick fix. The angle of the ramp on the bottom of the mag release where the mag slides across it was not steep enough or low enough IMO. I also tried other mags and had the same issue.

I called S&W service Department when I got home told them what was going on. I asked if there were any other reports they said no (of course). She put me on hold for a moment to go ask someone else about it and they did not hear of any issue yet either. She then wanted me to send it in to get serviced. I asked what the turnaround time was and she said at least 4 weeks and a week to get your return label. I laughed, because it would take over a month for them to fix a simple mag release issue. But I gave her my info just so I had a label if I decided to go that route.

I ended up disassembling it later that night to the point where I could get the mag release out. I then increased the angle of the ramp slightly and "polished" the plastic with a dremel buffing wheel to clean it up. I did not touch the top of the release where the mag catches as to not affect it when the mag locks in place. I also polished the part of the mag that first slides across the mag release when you first insert it. Now the mags slide right in without pressing the mag release.

I was able to go out to the range on Saturday and put a 100 rounds through it. The gun had no malfunctions what so ever. I shot 50 rounds of American 95gr FMJ and 50 rounds of Winchester 95gr FMJ low recoil training ammo.  The only problem I had was the long trigger pull and reset.  There was several times where I did not release the trigger far enough to reset. I just need more trigger time to get used to it. Very low recoil IMO.  The gun did not bounce out of my hands like some others.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 2:59:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I handled one in my LGS the other day, with a buddy who was looking at it for his wife.  The thing had the easiest slide action I've ever seen.  Very glad to hear that the recoil isn't bad on it.  I think with what I've seen it would be a very nice carry gun.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can you expand on why?

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you expand on why?

Thanks

The screw that holds the laser in doesn't do a good job. Did you read the part of my post where I mentioned that the screw backed out and rendered the gun useless?

The screw uses one of the smallest Allen heads. The same Allen head used for windage and elevation adjustment. It's so small that you can't buy the wrench at Lowe's or home depot. You have to go to a specialty tool store or go online to find this Allen wrench.

After s&w returned it, I decided to cut a groove into the screw head with a hacksaw. This let me use a screw driver to torque the screw in. Everything was ok until the metal piece that had the screw threads came loose.  S&w inserts a threaded metal round thing into the frame and somehow attaches it. The laser screws into this. Well, that thing came loose.

So I decided to epoxy it back in. The epoxy never held it in well enough for me, so I redid it until it was better and traded the gun. I wasn't going to put anymore time into making it acceptable for me.

It's poorly engineered. S&w needs to make a second generation Bodyguard where the laser is held in by a pin pushed horizontally through the frame, not a crappy screw, tightened by the smallest Allen wrench, into the weakest threaded insert.

Everything else about that pistol is awesome. I loved it. The feel, the looks, the double strike. It's definitely a tier above my keltec. I will be getting one of the non-laser models for sure...unless they release a gen-2 version of the laser model with a better laser fastening system.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The screw that holds the laser in doesn't do a good job. Did you read the part of my post where I mentioned that the screw backed out and rendered the gun useless?

The screw uses one of the smallest Allen heads. The same Allen head used for windage and elevation adjustment. It's so small that you can't buy the wrench at Lowe's or home depot. You have to go to a specialty tool store or go online to find this Allen wrench.

After s&w returned it, I decided to cut a groove into the screw head with a hacksaw. This let me use a screw driver to torque the screw in. Everything was ok until the metal piece that had the screw threads came loose.  S&w inserts a threaded metal round thing into the frame and somehow attaches it. The laser screws into this. Well, that thing came loose.

So I decided to epoxy it back in. The epoxy never held it in well enough for me, so I redid it until it was better and traded the gun. I wasn't going to put anymore time into making it acceptable for me.

It's poorly engineered. S&w needs to make a second generation Bodyguard where the laser is held in by a pin pushed horizontally through the frame, not a crappy screw, tightened by the smallest Allen wrench, into the weakest threaded insert.

Everything else about that pistol is awesome. I loved it. The feel, the looks, the double strike. It's definitely a tier above my keltec. I will be getting one of the non-laser models for sure...unless they release a gen-2 version of the laser model with a better laser fastening system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you expand on why?

Thanks

Well, then this problem is solved with the M&P Bodyguard since it doesn't have a laser.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Reposting from my reply in the picture thread.....

I purchased mine on at a LGS on 3/11,

Only found one issue with it so far, The mags would not go in without pressing the mag release slightly.
View Quote

I noticed this too with the display I handled.  I even checked with a regular Bodyguard magazine and it had the same problem.  The salesperson (being a salesperson) said I just needed to break the gun in.  He then smacked the bottom of the magazine, and it clicked in properly.  I tried it myself, and if you hit it hard from the bottom, it goes in without having to press the release button.  The Bodyguard with the laser that I had right beside it didn't have this problem.

I suspect that this affects all of the new Bodyguards, and I may wait for version 2.0 to ship before buying one.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I looked at one yesterday. The trigger was horrible, and this particular one had to have the mag release pressed to INSERT the mag...

I'll pass...
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you expand on why?

Thanks

Ah, I read it that you would never buy a Shield again. Sorry.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I looked at one yesterday. The trigger was horrible, and this particular one had to have the mag release pressed to INSERT the mag...

I'll pass...
View Quote

This is a known issue. The magazine catch has to wear/break in and then you won't have that problem. Couple of hard insertions with slamming the magazine into place and it is fine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is a known issue. The magazine catch has to wear/break in and then you won't have that problem. Couple of hard insertions with slamming the magazine into place and it is fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll pass...

Why is this different on the laser version?  Those seem to insert just fine.

From what you know, is there any redesign at all other than the front of the frame where the laser would go?  Did they do ANYTHING else to the gun except remove the laser, and streamline the frame?
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

From what you know, is there any redesign at all other than the front of the frame where the laser would go?  Did they do ANYTHING else to the gun except remove the laser, and streamline the frame?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll pass...

The magazine catch is the same from the BG380 to the M&P BG. Besides removing the laser, they used stainless steel for the slide and barrel and comes with two magazines instead of one. Mags all fit the same and sights fit the same as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I have an older one that's pre-mim barrel, the trigger isn't bad at all once it breaks in.

Edit: I don't have the magazine insertion issue either.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/275051-bodyguard-380-new-barrel-design-looks-bad.html
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had the new M&P BG380 for about 3 weeks and shot it a couple of times. I don't think the trigger is bad it is just very heavy, about on par with my model 586 in DA. I think they designed it that way for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've had the new M&P BG380 for about 3 weeks and shot it a couple of times. I don't think the trigger is bad it is just very heavy, about on par with my model 586 in DA. I think they designed it that way for pocket carry.
View Quote

Dry firing will help it break in a little faster.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I know it's kinda early but any reports of these breaking takedown pins? That was one of my issues with the original laser mounted BG.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I know it's kinda early but any reports of these breaking takedown pins? That was one of my issues with the original laser mounted BG.
View Quote

I didn't know about this issue until you brought it up.  I did know about the screw coming out in the laser models but was unaware about the takedown lever.  I googled the issue and found a few pages but those models appeared to be around the late 2010 and early 2011 era.  I didn't find a recall notice on it from that time frame so I guess the issue was fixed.  I do know that the first time I took my M&P bodyguard apart the takedown lever was a Bit** to rotate and get it out and I had to use padded pliers to get it to turn.  After that it is has been easier and can now do it with my fingers.  I have shot about 200 rounds and no issues so I will keep my fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:34:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Saw one a few weeks back. Didn't get to handle it though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, I found an M&P Bodyguard at a reasonable price this weekend, so I bought one.  $329.  
I've dry fired it close to 200 times with a snap cap, and I've cycled the slide about as many.  It will hopefully go to the range with me this weekend, and I hope to be up to 500 dry fires and slide cycles by then.  I expect a flawless turnout given the pre-break-in I'll be doing this week.

I can tell you, my forearm is weak now.  I've been switching hands to balance the workload, and my left forearm is feeling it from the trigger pulls.  Or maybe it's the slide cycles.  Those require a strong pinch, and it seems my thumb working in the pinch motion feels weak in the forearm.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Well I picked one up. I disassembled and cleaned it before I took it out. I fired 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense through it and 25 rounds of Fiocchi FMJ. All of the Critical Defense went off without and issues and one of the Fiocchi rounds required a second hammer strike but did go off on the second one. Other than that everything went good. After 50 rounds, I'd had enough for one day on that little guy. Accuracy was good. Trigger break is predictable.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well I picked one up. I disassembled and cleaned it before I took it out. I fired 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense through it and 25 rounds of Fiocchi FMJ. All of the Critical Defense went off without and issues and one of the Fiocchi rounds required a second hammer strike but did go off on the second one. Other than that everything went good. After 50 rounds, I'd had enough for one day on that little guy. Accuracy was good. Trigger break is predictable.  
View Quote

You're lucky.  Mine is having some feeding problems
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

Have you lubed it and how many rounds have you been through? How many failures?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lubed well, Light viscosity Slide Glide.  I'd consider using an even lighter lube...maybe some Mobile 1.  Before taking it to the range, I racked the slide 500 times or so as a pre-break-in.  I also dry fired it almost as many with snap caps.

My first 150 rounds were all flawless (Slide Glide used), and it was 3 boxes of Blazer Aluminum.  Since then, every other brand of ammo has caused a failure to feed.  

Fiocchi FMJ
Blazer Brass
Hornady Critical Defense
Gold Dots

If I put in a 6 round magazine, I am guaranteed a failure within that first magazine...usually after 2-3 round have been fired.  4 different magazines have been used, but I haven't kept track of each magazine and the frequency of failure.  I plan to number them on my next trip and document everything.

I need to get some more Blazer Aluminum to see if they still feed well, or if something in the gun has changed since the first 150 rounds.

Here are some pictures of the failures, and here's a thread I started in GD:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1620540_What_kind_of_failure_to_feed_is_this_.html

Link Posted: 5/8/2014 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Yikes. I better shoot mine some more to make sure nothing like this starts. It's weird that it started after 150 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I have one of the new M&P 380s. I am small framed and have a very hard time concealing my XD9SC with lighter summer clothing. The other gun I was looking at before the dealer showed me the M&P 380 was the Taurus TCP. The difference in fit and finish, as well as ergonomics, sold me on the M&P.  It just fit my hand a lot better than the Taurus. I haven't felt the need to add a grip to the M&P whereas everyone I know with a TCP has added a pachmyer sleeve. The stainless TCP and the M&P (stainless slide and barrel treated with black oxide) are similar in price, but far apart in quality. There was even a big scratch in the left side of the slide on the TCP they had in the display case.

I can't speak to long term durability as I don't have many rounds through it (50rnds Remington UMC and 25 rnds of 90gr Hornady FTX Critical Defense. I have had no issues so far. The only thing I liked better about the TCP was the trigger. I plan on getting the Galloway kit as soon as they're back in stock. The sights are actually usable (nearly invisible on the TCP) and it shoots pretty well for being so small. As mentioned earlier the slide moves very nicely. The scallops are nicely milled and the slide release and safety are crisp and positive. Takedown and reassembly is a bit fussy as the directions are wrong regarding the orientation of the takedown lever and the pin is a bitch to get back in. There are some youtube vids that show where it has to be for removal and insertion on the new M&P 380 as it is different from the old Bodyguard with the laser.

I have two holsters for it: A SM2 Sticky and a 2ART Remora tuckable. It fits great in both, but the Sticky is a bit thinner and easier to get in and out of a pocket. It works nice IWB as well. I have a Remora 2R tuckable coming as well because it is supposed to fit a bit tighter. We will see if there is much difference between that and the 2ART when it gets here.  I use a horsehide White Hat Max Tuck with my XD so these sticky holsters are a bit new to me. I very much like them so far and I might order one for the XD to expand my ability to carry it.

I paid $379 at Gander Mtn, but no one else near me had it in stock and I would have spent more in gas trying to save a few bucks. I'm very happy with it so far. It is VERY easy to carry, but I'm used to shoving a double stack in my pants. I think I'll look at the Shield / XDS sized stuff next.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I tried a new one at the range last week.  Didn't care for it.  Too small, hard to grip, not that accurate.   Tried the Shield and loved it, bought it.   Great grip, no kick, very accurate, very easy to conceal.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Lubed well, Light viscosity Slide Glide.  I'd consider using an even lighter lube...maybe some Mobile 1.  Before taking it to the range, I racked the slide 500 times or so as a pre-break-in.  I also dry fired it almost as many with snap caps.

My first 150 rounds were all flawless (Slide Glide used), and it was 3 boxes of Blazer Aluminum.  Since then, every other brand of ammo has caused a failure to feed.  

Fiocchi FMJ
Blazer Brass
Hornady Critical Defense
Gold Dots

If I put in a 6 round magazine, I am guaranteed a failure within that first magazine...usually after 2-3 round have been fired.  4 different magazines have been used, but I haven't kept track of each magazine and the frequency of failure.  I plan to number them on my next trip and document everything.

I need to get some more Blazer Aluminum to see if they still feed well, or if something in the gun has changed since the first 150 rounds.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1620540_What_kind_of_failure_to_feed_is_this_.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/E1derful/20140503_133355_zpse72b0224.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/E1derful/20140503_133630_zps4acd204c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/E1derful/20140503_133704_zps6fbc0ffa.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fiocchi FMJ
Blazer Brass
Hornady Critical Defense
Gold Dots

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/E1derful/20140503_133355_zpse72b0224.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/E1derful/20140503_133630_zps4acd204c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/E1derful/20140503_133704_zps6fbc0ffa.jpg

I had some issues with mine as well. Got it brand new, lubed it up with some CLP, and took it to the range for its first outing. Needless to say I had a few problems. I was getting some failure to feeds. Not like yours, but where the slide would not go fully into battery. I could tell by looking how the guide rod sat when it was properly chambered and when it wasnt. Gave it a tap on the back of the slide and then it would go into battery. I only fired about 30 rounds before I got frustrated and put it down. I would have a few times where I could fire maybe 3 or 4 in a row but then I'd get that same FTF. Now I did not break this gun in at all by firing it with snap caps or racking the slide over and over. I kinda have a feeling thats why this is happening, because it isnt broken in yet. Another thing that happens is when a round is fully chambered and the gun is properly in battery, it is EXTREMELY hard to rack the slide and clear the gun. Now I put this into caps because I mean its impossible to do while holding the gun in the firing positing with my right and using my left. I need to take it and use my right hand, while putting my fingers kind of over the tip of the barrel and jam that thing back really hard to extract the round manually.

Overall I like the look, fit, and finish. The only downsides for me are the trigger and these problems I'm having. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to fix these problems?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Handled one a few days ago. Trigger was absolutely full-retard heavy. I mean SERIOUSLY heavy.

I've never handled the previous model so I'm not sure if the trigger is better/worse/same, but it certainly wasn't good.

Fit and finish was fantastic though if that accounts for anything.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#43]
One of worst triggers I've fired.  But Shield is great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top