Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been happy with the stock trigger and DCAEK in my M&Ps, but I'm curious - how similar does the Polymer AEK trigger feel to a Glock trigger?  I haven't given the AEK much thought because I don't want a short travel trigger in a defense gun and I've always seen the comparisons to 1911 triggers.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Installed the FSS kit on my M&P9 this weekend. The 4lb. spring is in the gun right now, and I'm currently flirting with putting the 5.5lb. spring they provided in instead.  The trigger uptake and reset is noticeably shorter (as it should be.) Put 100 rounds through the gun today and it performed just like I wanted it to, with clean predictable breaks and a solid reset. I never felt the gun was "just going to go off."

Accuracy improved a little bit, and it's definitely a shooter. I know a lot of people say a shorter trigger on a defensive gun is a no go, but I would compare it to a high quality single-action 1911 trigger pull, and I am perfectly comfortable with it.

The slide and grip work done by ATEi are a nice touch too

If I ever figure out how to post pics, I'll throw a few up.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a question about the function after the APXDCAEK install.

I have to pull the striker back manually in order to get the USB to pop up all the way so it blocks the striker moving forward.

then The striker is blocked. I push the USB in and the striker can move forward

now when I let the USB go, the USB does not come up all the way and the striker is not blocked unless I pull the striker back a hair and then then the USB pops up.

Is this normal?
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Your spring could be pinched under your rear sight after installing the USB.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 12:58:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FishKepr] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Impavido:
Accuracy improved a little bit, and it's definitely a shooter. I know a lot of people say a shorter trigger on a defensive gun is a no go, but I would compare it to a high quality single-action 1911 trigger pull, and I am perfectly comfortable with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Impavido:

Interesting analogy.  With the lighter spring would you say it's like carrying a 1911 cocked and UNlocked?

Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:
My current favorite in a duty/ccw M&P is the Polymer AEK with USB and Hard Sear. I find this produced the best trigger pull weight that can safely be used for carry and still deliberate enough trigger pull in that time is life moment.

Would you elaborate on this?  With the weight approximately the same, what makes the hard sear 'safer' than the FSS?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 2:20:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FishKepr:

Would you elaborate on this?  With the weight approximately the same, what makes the hard sear 'safer' than the FSS?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FishKepr:
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:
My current favorite in a duty/ccw M&P is the Polymer AEK with USB and Hard Sear. I find this produced the best trigger pull weight that can safely be used for carry and still deliberate enough trigger pull in that time is life moment.

IMO, the FSS closely mimics a 1911esque trigger and because of it I wouldn't use it for duty or carry use unless I had a TS on my M&P, like 1911s do.

The AEK trigger with hard sear bridges the gap between a decent stock trigger and the FSS trigger.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By heavyduty:
I've been happy with the stock trigger and DCAEK in my M&Ps, but I'm curious - how similar does the Polymer AEK trigger feel to a Glock trigger?  I haven't given the AEK much thought because I don't want a short travel trigger in a defense gun and I've always seen the comparisons to 1911 triggers.
View Quote

Anyone?  What is the total trigger travel like for a polymer AEK trigger compared to a stock Glock trigger?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Anyone?  What is the total trigger travel like for a polymer AEK trigger compared to a stock Glock trigger?
View All Quotes

It seams pretty different to mean. The glock trigger being rounder and setting farther forward then the M&p.

Anyways i recently installed the Poly AEK and Duty springs and hard sear. And found the trigger to be just as heavy as before. I had to put all the stock springs back in to get any reduction in trigger pull. Anyone else have this problem? This is a recent production M&p.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By Morbidbattlecry:
It seams pretty different to mean. The glock trigger being rounder and setting farther forward then the M&p.

Anyways i recently installed the Poly AEK and Duty springs and hard sear. And found the trigger to be just as heavy as before. I had to put all the stock springs back in to get any reduction in trigger pull. Anyone else have this problem? This is a recent production M&p.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Morbidbattlecry:

I've got an 9mm compact that's a couple of years old.  Trigger pull on it is pretty smooth.  I never understood all the complaints about the "gritty" trigger".  I purchased a couple more 9s, as well as a 40 and 45 over the summer.  WOW!  NOW I understand!  It literally feels like someone poured sand in the housings on those guns!

I replaced the crappy trigger on one of the "new" 9compatcs with the Poly AEK, duty springs, hard sear, and the Apex sear release plunger (I forget what it's called).  While it made an IMMENSE difference on the trigger for that gun...it still feels just about the same as the trigger on the "good" (stock) older M&P.

Comparing the two side by side, I would say trigger pull weights are very comparable.  Enough so that I thought "it would be a waste to put this stuff in the gun with the good factory trigger".  I may still replace the trigger, though.  I hate that split design.

Link Posted: 11/26/2013 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Ill be ordering the poly fss kit soon
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Got my poly fss kit today and I must say, it looks great. Cant wait to get it in! Gun is already currently at the gunsmith getting cerakoted. It will be a totally different gun when I get it back!
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought a brand m&p9 full size and after 50 rounds I bought the dcaek kit and the ram. Upon receiving items and breaking the gun down,  there is no recess/ channel to install ram,  FYI.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 10:25:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Daytona955i] [#13]
Originally Posted By tamdar:
I just bought a brand m&p9 full size and after 50 rounds I bought the dcaek kit and the ram. Upon receiving items and breaking the gun down,  there is no recess/ channel to install ram,  FYI.
View Quote

The new sear blocks don't have the space for it. However, if you have the right slide stop:

You probably don't need the Ram.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I think I'm going to try a polymer AEK trigger for my 40c the next time I see a vendor offering free shipping.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]
What parts will make the m&p trigger most closely resemble the glock trigger?
I love Glocks, but I can't get over no safety. I shoot them the best, but I like the feel of the M&P best.
It looks like the AEK will give it the glock-style safety, so what parts do I need to get the pull right?
I like glocks because you pull through the take-up and then hit the "wall", and you know exactly where it is going to fire.
With the M&P's, I always had trouble because the break-over point wasn't as "solid", it just felt kind of mushy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my poly trigger and forward set sear kit. It resembles the Glock trigger in my opinion but seems to be smoother and lighter.it does have the same type of glock safety and I feel confident for every day carry with this trigger kit even using the 4lb spring. the stock trigger simply was horrible and there's no comparison with the apex kit. So far I've gotten 1000 rounds down range with apex kit and I've had no issues.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey. I am new to the forums and have just read the whole topic and discussion here and can't find an answer to my question. I tried searching the forums, But no matter what I searched for it said I had no results.. Soo... idk... Anyway I just recently got my first reliable hand gun. M&P Pro 9mm 5inch and it was made in December of 2013. The spent casing fire date was on the 4th of December. My question is will the FSS work with my gun? It has absolutely no safety or anything on it. I have seen stuff about the RAM not working on some newer M&Ps, but haven't found anything about the FSS trigger kit not working on them, But its way to expensive of a mistake to make. Buying it only to find out it will not work in my gun... Even if I was able to return it. I would still be out around 30 bucks for shipping back and forth.. One thing I hate is to waste money. Don't have much of it as it is and have to save up to long just to get part like this..
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#18]
My poly AEK arrived today, and I installed it into my older 40c that already had a well broken in DCAEK and RAM.

I like it!  I really do prefer the "bladed" trigger feel, and the reduction in pre and over travel is noticeable. I had to make a slight tweak to the trigger bar loop as shown in Randy's installation video, an easy job.

I already went ahead and ordered one for my 9FS, hopefully Apex will do a poly version for the Shield, too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ghandi:
Hey. I am new to the forums and have just read the whole topic and discussion here and can't find an answer to my question. I tried searching the forums, But no matter what I searched for it said I had no results.. Soo... idk... Anyway I just recently got my first reliable hand gun. M&P Pro 9mm 5inch and it was made in December of 2013. The spent casing fire date was on the 4th of December. My question is will the FSS work with my gun? It has absolutely no safety or anything on it. I have seen stuff about the RAM not working on some newer M&Ps, but haven't found anything about the FSS trigger kit not working on them, But its way to expensive of a mistake to make. Buying it only to find out it will not work in my gun... Even if I was able to return it. I would still be out around 30 bucks for shipping back and forth.. One thing I hate is to waste money. Don't have much of it as it is and have to save up to long just to get part like this..
View Quote

Yes it will fit, the RAM won't due to changes in the sear. Watch the video a few times if you are thinking about installing it yourself. Especially because it may require having to tweak the loop on the end of the trigger bar. Everything else just drops in and it is very simple.

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#20]
All four of my MP have thumb safeties and all have the APEX duty carry kit no issues so far.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Tactical Coyote, is the FSS kit the same as a DCAEK and a AEK combined? I got the impression you personally felt the FSS was too much for a carry gun (especially for one lacking an external safety). Is this correct?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#22]
The FSS is NOT the same as the dcaek and apex aek trigger.

As for the feller asking which will make it most like the glock.... the answer is truthfully none of them. The pre travel  on the m&p compared to the glock is what is the main difference and the FSS will be you closest bet. Will it be better than a stock glock trigger with 3.5# connector and polished internals, IMO unfortunately not.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JesseCJC:
View Quote

So I wouldn't need to be concerned about carrying the DCAEK and AEK together correct? FWIW I carry a HK with the LEM trigger now or a Glock 20.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#24]

As for the feller asking which will make it most like the glock.... the answer is truthfully none of them. The pre travel  on the m&p compared to the glock is what is the main difference and the FSS will be you closest bet. Will it be better than a stock glock trigger with 3.5# connector and polished internals, IMO unfortunately not.
View Quote

In my M&P the FSS is way better than any Stock Glock trigger.  I like Glock triggers, I like the FSS, if I had it to do all over again I probably would not go with the FSS in my carry gun. It is too light and short.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#25]
The way I looked at it was that I had to spend 160 bucks just to get the trigger to where it needs to be, and should have been from the factory. So compared to 15 bucks in parts with my glock, it's not "better". Just my opinion.

As for the DCAEK and AEK trigger. You should be fine as it will marginally reduce pre/over travel in the trigger. It still retains the trigger safety, just adds more comfort and shorter, not lighter pull.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#26]
The way I looked at it was that I had to spend 160 bucks just to get the trigger to where it needs to be, and should have been from the factory. So compared to 15 bucks in parts with my glock, it's not "better". Just my opinion.

As for the DCAEK and AEK trigger. You should be fine as it will marginally reduce pre/over travel in the trigger. It still retains the trigger safety, just adds more comfort and shorter, not lighter pull.
View Quote

I dont look at cost versus results, that does not make sense to me.  I bought the M&P knowing that I would put an Apex Trigger in it.  As is commonly said around here, if you want to stay Stock Go Glock, if you want to mod your gun to be what you want go M&P.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Cool, thanks for the info. The AEK is available in polymer and metal correct?
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#28]
So just picked up a new full size m&P 45 and also scored a new dcaek for it on the EE here.

So reading up it seems that i have 2 options when installing, either using the supplied apex trigger and sear spring or keeping in the originals.

I have heard using the apex springs brings the trigger pull to around mid 5's and above, while using the stock springs gets it under 5 pounds and more like a 4.5lb break. Gun wont be a carry gun anytime soon, just want a good/better feeling trigger then it was out of the box.

Any info here from people that have installed parts by piece and seen what it did?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#29]
So, I've installed the trigger....and I notice that the "safety action" part of the trigger is a bit more inset as compared to the pictures I see you guys/gals post.  Cause for concern? What is the issue here, if there is one?

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By LSUmakemewanna:
So, I've installed the trigger....and I notice that the "safety action" part of the trigger is a bit more inset as compared to the pictures I see you guys/gals post.  Cause for concern? What is the issue here, if there is one?

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/lsumakemewanna/trigger_zpsee98443b.jpg
View Quote

Is the back part of the trigger safety inside the frame?
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Daytona955i:

View All Quotes

I'll have to check after work.  I can't recall at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

looks like it is deactivated there. if that is it's normal position, it is pointless.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By mustangfreek:
So just picked up a new full size m&P 45 and also scored a new dcaek for it on the EE here.

So reading up it seems that i have 2 options when installing, either using the supplied apex trigger and sear spring or keeping in the originals.

I have heard using the apex springs brings the trigger pull to around mid 5's and above, while using the stock springs gets it under 5 pounds and more like a 4.5lb break. Gun wont be a carry gun anytime soon, just want a good/better feeling trigger then it was out of the box.

Any info here from people that have installed parts by piece and seen what it did?

thanks
View Quote

I used the factory springs except for using the Apex USB spring and I have a 4.5# pull on my full size
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

There's nothing exposed on the backside of the trigger if that's what you're asking.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 11:04:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daytona955i] [#35]

There's nothing exposed on the backside of the trigger if that's what you're asking.
View All Quotes

Sounds like something is installed incorrectly, or perhaps your trigger is bad. The safety should contact the frame on the backside unless it is depressed. There could be several little adjustments or issues that may cause that, the best thing to do is to call Randy at Apex directly in the morning.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I put the Poly Fss kit in my Pro CORE 9, the took the Pro sear that came out of the 9 and put it in my 40c with a Apex poly trigger and both guns are so much better than they were from the factory. If you don't have their Armorers Block you are missing out, it makes disassembly and re assembly a pleasure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a new M&P9 FS test fired in February 2014. It has a very nice, audible reset but the takeup is gritty and once the trigger hits the "wall" the pull is very heavy (my uneducated guess is at least 7 or 8 pounds).

This is a defensive gun not competition. Would the Polymer AEK trigger + DCAEK kit be the way to go for me?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Basticle:
I have a new M&P9 FS test fired in February 2014. It has a very nice, audible reset but the takeup is gritty and once the trigger hits the "wall" the pull is very heavy (my uneducated guess is at least 7 or 8 pounds).

This is a defensive gun not competition. Would the Polymer AEK trigger + DCAEK kit be the way to go for me?
View Quote

I'd sure as hell try it, that sounds very much not right.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 1:15:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I installed the DCAEK, poly trigger, and the RAM today and now I have a question. Are the sear spring in the DCAEK and the sear spring in the Poly trigger kit the same spring or will using one over the other yield a different over all trigger pull weight? If anyone else has this combo I would like to know so that I can decide if I would want something heavier or lighter or if it is not possible to adjust without going back to the original factory sear spring. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Gents,

I have a new 9pro5.

I love the pistol,  hell it has me looking at replacing my glocks with smiths.

Anyway, I do wish the trigger had a cleaner take up and audible reset.

She is a paperpuncher but has recently taken up a bedside gun manner.

Without reading 8 pgs....Recommendations on the apex parts needed to make her perfect?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By sgwlower:
Gents,

I have a new 9pro5.

I love the pistol,  hell it has me looking at replacing my glocks with smiths.

Anyway, I do wish the trigger had a cleaner take up and audible reset.

She is a paperpuncher but has recently taken up a bedside gun manner.

Without reading 8 pgs....Recommendations on the apex parts needed to make her perfect?
View Quote

I did the APEX AEK polymer trigger, simply because I hate the hinged trigger. This alone made both my pro's 10x better and more enjoyable for me to shoot, apex says a 20% reduction in pre travel, and I believe it. I also added the APEX RAM to help with the reset, I personally could not tell a difference with the RAM installed.

Next I checked to make sure my Pro's had the latest parts, in which they did have the "H" stamped trigger bars, but not the newest slide release with the "bump" on the right side to give the better felt reset. I ordered 2 and installed them and the reset is better and more noticable.

If you want to go on the cheap, APEX AEK polymer trigger, Factory "H" stamped trigger bar, and revised factory slide release.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Just ordered the FSS for my M&P45... Cant wait to install it!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Have the FSS (polymer) on my 45.  I'm not feeling any reset.  I'm at work and am unable to check for the latest trigger bar and slide release (as mentioned by an above post).  Is there perhaps another issue in not feeling a reset in the trigger?
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Dogs_of_War:
View Quote

would love to hear the results.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Installed mine and love it! The takeup and break is crisp! I kept the original spring that kept the trigger at about 5lbs instead of the 4lb for the provided 'green' spring.

Only problem I see is that there's still no noticeable reset but I ordered the newer trigger bar to see if that helps!

9.5 out of 10 stars!
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Rocksarge:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rocksarge:

Ran into a problem with mine. I'm trying to resolve the issue with Apex.

When I pull the take up the trigger seems to "bind" then will break cleanly after that.
Not really sure what the problem is as it does not do it every time. It feels as though the trigger bar is binding against the side of the frame.
There is an audible click when the binding occurs.

Ill post up again when I resolve the issue.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By nj0ywatch1np0rn:

Installed mine and love it! The takeup and break is crisp! I kept the original spring that kept the trigger at about 5lbs instead of the 4lb for the provided 'green' spring.

Only problem I see is that there's still no noticeable reset but I ordered the newer trigger bar to see if that helps!

9.5 out of 10 stars!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nj0ywatch1np0rn:

9.5 out of 10 stars!

Glad you like yours! I agree with the reset though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 2:00:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Has anyone heard more about the universal RAM that's in development?  I just picked up a new 45c and it's sorely in need of a RAM - reset is almost undetectable.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Has anyone heard more about the universal RAM that's in development?  I just picked up a new 45c and it's sorely in need of a RAM - reset is almost undetectable.
View Quote

I'd pay double the price for one if it existed for the 45C.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:42:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I stopped at the range on the way home tonight and put 150 rounds of hardball through the new 45c, enough to tell me it won't need to go back to the mothership for warranty work.

When I got home I installed a DCAEK and poly AEK, they made a huge improvement in the trigger pull and even helped the reset feel a little. This 45c had a particularly bad trigger from the factory, but the Apex parts worked their usual magic.  This is the first poly AEK I've installed that didn't need to have the trigger bar loop twiddled with.

Randy, please - release the universal RAM!
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top