Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2017 7:57:59 PM EDT
I've no doubt this has been raised before but since I don't remember it, I'm raising it again.  

Once the change over to the Sig 320 series is complete for the US Mil, what does everyone think (not hope, think!) will happen to the M9's? Surplused out? Given to some 3rd World cesspool army? Melted down? What?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
im still waiting for the 1911's.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#2]
what will happen?

What ever takes the longest, cost the most, and pisses me off the best.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig hasn't even started production of the M17 passed trial guns. They haven't even started field trials yet
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Not withstanding any other challenges I believe congress needs to authorize (and the president sign) the transfer of the weapons to the CMP.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
What both of the two guys above me said. Beretta has delivered over 600K M9 pistols. Also, Beretta is still filling a 2014 5yr contract for 20K new M9s. That contract isn't scheduled to be completed until 2019. Even if the P320 clears the hurdles it still faces to become the new sidearm it will be years before the P320 finds it's way into the supply chain and the M9's are phased out. As I recall the M9 while selected in 1985 or 1986 didn't really get issued until 1989-1990. I suspect the M17 will be much the same way.

As others have noted the M1911s still haven't found their way to the CMP so I am not holding my breath for the M9 to make a speedy transition to the CMP either. Not that I don't want them to because I do very badly. I just hope the military doesn't crush or chop them up. As I understand it the military has whole warehouses filled with unissued pistols and spare parts for the M9.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I really wouldn't want a surplus M9. You would spend a ton of money refurbishing it to make it a shooter. Just get a new o e from Beretta.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sig hasn't even started production of the M17 passed trial guns. They haven't even started field trials yet
View Quote
Congress hasn't funded it yet either.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The M9 is still a perfectly viable modern handgun, so even assuming the military buys enough M17s to replace every single M9 I would wager that the CMP would still pretty much be the last option.

They're hardly outdated, still use the NATO standard sidearm and SMG round and variants are still produced by the manufacturer for the civilian market and probably other countries, so I would imagine the military's first choice is to stockpile them in warehouses to either use in WW3 or sell off piecemeal to the whatever militia or military of the week that we're sending weapons to.  It's a heck of a lot easier to store pistols than tanks, and a heck of a lot cheaper to ship someone a few thousand M9s as "military assistance" than trying to find a way to get them some humvees.

There's also always the national guard to give some to or other military auxiliaries.

And to echo a previous poster, because I have just listed out a few perfectly logical reasons to keep or sell them abroad, they'll probably just crush them all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I really wouldn't want a surplus M9. You would spend a ton of money refurbishing it to make it a shooter. Just get a new o e from Beretta.
View Quote
Yeah, those spring sets are way up there at $20 per set............  
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:03:07 AM EDT
[#10]
The 1911 was replaced in 1985 - Still waiting for those to show up on the surplus market.

Parts may be surplussed.  You might find inexpensive replacement parts that were amassed and then surplussed is my guess.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:49:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What both of the two guys above me said. Beretta has delivered over 600K M9 pistols. Also, Beretta is still filling a 2014 5yr contract for 20K new M9s. That contract isn't scheduled to be completed until 2019. Even if the P320 clears the hurdles it still faces to become the new sidearm it will be years before the P320 finds it's way into the supply chain and the M9's are phased out. As I recall the M9 while selected in 1985 or 1986 didn't really get issued until 1989-1990. I suspect the M17 will be much the same way.

As others have noted the M1911s still haven't found their way to the CMP so I am not holding my breath for the M9 to make a speedy transition to the CMP either. Not that I don't want them to because I do very badly. I just hope the military doesn't crush or chop them up. As I understand it the military has whole warehouses filled with unissued pistols and spare parts for the M9.
View Quote
John McCain helped try to keep CMP from getting 1911s.

Senator John McCain Wants To Destroy the Govt Surplus of 1911 Pistols

Is Uncle Sam Set to Melt Civilian Marksmanship Program 1911 Pistols?

Surplus DoD guns could head to scrappers under pending bill
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:50:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The 1911 was replaced in 1985 - Still waiting for those to show up on the surplus market.

Parts may be surplussed.  You might find inexpensive replacement parts that were amassed and then surplussed is my guess.
View Quote
Parts will be scrapped
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#14]
ZERO chance of the CMP getting M9s.

We will most likely give them away to Saudi Arabia... so they can give them to ISIS, Jabhat al Nusra, and other al Qaeda franchises worldwide.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

John McCain is a giant twat.
View Quote
I was going to call you out and give you an internet bitch slap. I thought you said John McClane.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top