Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2017 7:08:29 PM EDT
For those of you who haven't seen it yet, this was posted earlier today.

Beretta M9A1 Reliability Test!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLlJRpBIHUA
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That video made me mad.

Because he has an M9A1 and I don't.

Really though, I am satisfied with the M9s performance. That is a hard test and I really believe you could run that test five times with the same gun and get different results. I do wonder about the hammer spring, I didn't catch if they said this was a new gun or not. Swapping out the hammer spring is one of the first things people do to a Beretta 90 series. I can't count how many used Beretta 92s I have come across over the years with either the D hammer spring installed or a cut down hammer spring. Not sure it would have mattered or not. It will be intresting to see how the P320 and M9A3 perform.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock 19 did worse
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm satisfied.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I can see dropping it water, sand, dirt and mud, but not all three and then have to shoot it without at least wiping it down or rinsing it off (if your around water), and he didn't just 'drop' it in there, he pressed it in there.

If your in a firefight and have to rely on a pistol and dropped it in dirt, then stepped on it so it was really in the dirt, I'm pretty sure you are probably not going to have a chance to pick it up, it'll probably be left there for your 'adversary' to pick it up, wipe it off and use it once you've fled, been killed or captured.

That being said, there is a reason the military chose that side arm years ago and have used it all this time. I don't have the M9, but I do have the 92fs I purchased new and never had a problem with it. I don't think most people would treat their firearms like that anyway. Most will take care of it and use it like it was intended, not throw it in muck and say it's a failure.

I take mine out, shoot it a crap ton, bring it home, clean it, reload some more ammo and get ready to take it out the next weekend. I've got about 2500 rounds through mine since I've had it and it has never had a failure, I've also never dropped it and if I did, I would defiantly make sure it was not damaged before I used it again.

Not trying to piss anyone off, and maybe I'm wrong. I've been wrong before. but that's my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can see dropping it water, sand, dirt and mud, but not all three and then have to shoot it without at least wiping it down or rinsing it off (if your around water), and he didn't just 'drop' it in there, he pressed it in there.

View Quote
They're pretty open that "these are not scientific test." The gauntlet is not meant to be a practical test, but to push the weapon to failure. He did rinse it off with dirty water at the end and it functioned 100%.

The M9 may be the most tested pistol in the world, and like you mentioned, has always done extremely well. The average reliability of all M9 pistols tested at Beretta U.S.A. is 17,500 rounds without a stoppage. During one test of twelve pistols fired at Beretta U.S.A. before Army supervision, Beretta-made M9 pistols shot 168,000 rounds without a single malfunction. The Beretta 9mm pistol was the most reliable of all pistols tested in the 1984 competition which resulted in the award of the M9 contract to Beretta. Two-thirds of all M9 pistols endurance tested at Beretta U.S.A. fired 5,000 rounds without a single mal function or, at most, with only one malfunction.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That being said, there is a reason the military chose that side arm years ago and have used it all this time.
View Quote
Because the Beretta M9 was cheaper than the Sig P226. That said, the Sigs I've seen MAC test haven't fared so well either. 
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They're pretty open that "these are not scientific test." The gauntlet is not meant to be a practical test, but to push the weapon to failure. He did rinse it off with dirty water at the end and it functioned 100%.

The M9 may be the most tested pistol in the world, and like you mentioned, has always done extremely well. The average reliability of all M9 pistols tested at Beretta U.S.A. is 17,500 rounds without a stoppage. During one test of twelve pistols fired at Beretta U.S.A. before Army supervision, Beretta-made M9 pistols shot 168,000 rounds without a single malfunction. The Beretta 9mm pistol was the most reliable of all pistols tested in the 1984 competition which resulted in the award of the M9 contract to Beretta. Two-thirds of all M9 pistols endurance tested at Beretta U.S.A. fired 5,000 rounds without a single mal function or, at most, with only one malfunction.
View Quote
The other part of this is the M9s that are in service are very abused. Subjected to abuse that typical service pistols in law enforcement or concealed carry use are not. Even then they still do pretty well. If the military would maintain them properly with recoil spring changes and better quality magazines I doubt there would be so much hate by service members. The M9 properly maintained is an exceptionally good pistol and as you pointed out has been tested in more ways than any other pistol on the planet. I'm happy with my Beretta 90 series pistols.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I like that after being thoroughly fucked up with the gauntlet, a dunk in its own dirty water restored it to 100%.

An M9a3 vs. P320 showdown would be very interesting.

Quoted:
Because the Beretta M9 was cheaper than the Sig P226. That said, the Sigs I've seen MAC test haven't fared so well either. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That being said, there is a reason the military chose that side arm years ago and have used it all this time.
They performed equally and Beretta underbid Sig. Why not choose Beretta?

Besides that, it's got a manual safety. I don't know about you, but while I may trust experienced shooters with nothing but trigger discipline between them and a ND, random 18-22 year-olds are another story entirely. I've got an ND from one of them about 3 feet from me to reinforce that as well. Fortunately pointed in a safe direction.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd say that did ok. At least as well as the g17 and the 320
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top