Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2015 4:58:59 PM EDT
Howdy all ! :)

I have pretty much narrowed it down as to what I want for a CCW & short-term home defense pistol. My long-term
plan for a home defense pistol is of course a DW Valor, which will have to wait for sufficient funds. And, my Beretta
purchase will have to wait until after we buy my wife whichever pistol she decides on :)

I have small hands, and the 92FS is just too wide for me. I don't need more than 10 rounds in a mag; 13 will be fine
if that is what I end up with....Capacity is just not high on my list. Most important to me is being able to get my right
hand around it with a certain feel to it.

I looked at the 92 Vertec Inox, because it has a narrower grip. It is full length like the 92 FS, and comes in 10 rd &
15 rd capacities. Is there a grip size difference (width) between the 10 & 15 rd versions?

Looking at the 92(M9A1) Compact (these are listed on budgsuns as 92FS Compact), there are options for 10 rd
& 13 rd as well. Is the grip narrower on these Compacts than the full size 92FS? I am guessing in these last
2 cases it is probably Kalifornia Kommunism Kompliance Kamerade.....?

If I remember right, switching from fire to safe on these models also decocks the hammer, which means there
would have to be a firing pin block involved. Do most people carry hammer down & safety off?

I will be taking rounds out of the chamber quite often. Is there any issue with these models where when
a round is chambered the bullet might seat deeper into the brass?

Do these models have a good reputation for feeding anything you give them? I would only be using
mildly shaped HP ammo.

Do these models have replaceable front sights? If they have adjustable rear sights, is there a way
I can easily switch them to fixed sights? I have no problem with the standard 3 dot sights on the
92Fs, but fixed combat sights is very high on my list....

Thanks in advance! :)
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The vertec has the more 1911 like grip which is narrower with factory thin grips, the difference in Mag capacity is for ban states.

The compact 92 is just that, a shorter grip and slide length. The mags are 10 or 13 and can also use full size mags also. The grip is standard 92 width.

Vz grips makes thin grips for beretta models, and Wilson combat sells grips too which are rebranded vz grips.

I carry mine safety off hammer down.

I've never had an issue with rounds chambered multiple times either

Edit - there is an older discontinued 92 compact that used single stack magazines and may be narrower but I've never handled one to know.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! :)

That narrows it down to the 92 Vertec Inox then in 13 rds. :) ;)

I will guess that this model also has some plastic parts in it like
the 92FS does? I will probably buy some steel replacement parts
for use many years down the road in case of any issues. From what
I have read so far I don't think I will have any issues at all; I just like
to prepared for worst case scenarios. My son will be getting all of my
gear one day, & I want to have things well prepared for him.

Regards,
              jebs

ETA: I forgot to ask, the Vertec will probably use very similar parts as far as
D-bar & fire control group, guide rod etc etc as the 92FS?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I put some of the Wilson Combat (VZ) grips on my Compact and it feels awesome.  The grip does feel a bit more slim.  

I, too, carry hammer down and safety off.

I have a Beretta 96FS Inox (.40), which was the first gun I ever bought.  I purchased it back in 2000 or so.  Anyway, between it and my new 92FS Compact, they eat everything.  I had one failure in the 96: I shot a box of Wolf thru it and one of the steel casings got stuck in the barrel so bad I had to have a 'smith get it out.  That casing broke the extractor tip off.  I don't shoot steel in it anymore.    Other than that I've never had any kind of feed, ejection, etc. failure in either of them.

I put a D-spring in my Compact to ease up and smooth up the DA pull a bit, and I also put the Wilson Combat Low Profile safety lever on my Compact.  Makes it a real nice carry gun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top