Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2015 2:04:52 PM EDT
I am no stranger to shooting, and I use the contemporary straight thumb technique when firing all of my pistols. This varies some, as say with a glock I must be careful not to place too much lateral pressure near the slide stop, but with a 1911 this is no concern.

However I have noticed, both while in the Army and with my own recently purchased 92g I have tremendous difficulty avoiding keeping the slide stop from not functioning. I am tempted to go back to a traditional thumb-over-thumb technique but I don't want to start having training inconsistencies between my various pistols.

Is this a common problem for you guys?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope,but my hands are the size of a teenage girls.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I do the same thing. I thought it may have been my 92fs but I later bought a 92g and the same thing happens. Mostly when I'm wearing gloves while shooting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the same issue sometimes. I just have to tweak my grip a little until I find that sweet spot that doesn't impair the function of the slide release.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
This might help even though it's about SIG's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiLuLKLQCMc
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the same problem with my 92FS. I'm constantly hitting the slide stop.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, when I first bought my M9 I thought it was something wrong with the gun the first few times I shot it because the slide wouldn't lock back.  After years of shooting and trying to figure out what works for me, I went to thumb over thumb.  Or low thumbs, interlocking thumbs.  However you want to call it.  The gun I carry the most is my 442.  And before that I carried a Colt Detective Special.  Shooting revolvers pretty much requires this kind of grip.  And I have just carried it over to my autos and don't notice a huge difference.  I do think you get a bit more control with high thumbs as the gun sits a bit lower in the hand.  But for me it's not enough to matter and I like keeping things simple.  And with the Beretta I don't ride the slide stop.  So.....  I also don't think it makes me any less accurate.  

Heck, half of these polymer guns have a nice indent to put your right thumb and it works really well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Good stuff. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#10]
It's so funny because I've heard some instructors tell you to get at least your support thumb tight on the frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top