Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2015 11:39:58 AM EDT
Do most of you replace your plastic parts?  
Has anyone had a plastic part fail?  Does the M9 use plastic parts too?
When did beretta start using plastic?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

View Quote
I suggest visiting Wikipedia to get a basic background knowledge of Beretta pistols you don't own before formulating your questions.

I have never had any part of my Beretta pistol fail, plastic or not.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The plastic parts are only an issue for the talking heads on Youtube.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
cool I wont worry about it then.
thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Plastic parts are a non issue.  The failure rate is minuscule vs. the amount of pistols produced.

Replace them if it makes you warm and fuzzy to do so, otherwise just shoot the piss out of the pistol and enjoy life.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The parts are plastic coated.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#6]
The only plastic parts on the Beretta are the guide rod and the grip panels.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only plastic parts on the Beretta are the guide rod and the grip panels.
View Quote

What about the mainspring housing, or lanyard ring, whatever Beretta calls it?  When taking everything apart on mine, this was the only part I felt like was flimsy.

I think Wilson Combat has a metal mag guide that replaces it, but I haven't had much time to look in to it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#8]
That's right.  The mainspring housing is plastic too.  

A lot of 1911s have had plastic mainspring housings for a long time now.  I view it as a non-issue based on the way these parts are retained in both pistols.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 4:49:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

To expand some on what others have said.

It depends on the person. Some people it bothers them that they have plastic/plastic coated parts. But other, like myself, it doesn't bother. And most of the parts that are plastic. Are actually plastic coated metal parts. Beretta went to these parts for cost savings as well as durability. The polymer coated parts are just as good, if not better for durability and reliability. The safety decocker for instance. Doesn't wear nearly as much in general being plastic coated. Beretta used to use a steel guide rod. Which is generally fine. But (bent, the ones that did) steel guide rods need lubrication and a bent guide rod could cause malfunctions. The plastic are self lubricating and less likely to cause issues. Even if bent. And yes, the military contract M9 and M9A1 use the plastic/plastic coated parts now. Have for several years. Not sure that anyone knows exactly when. But they use them just the same. The commercial M9 (as well as the 92 in general) are pretty much exactly the same as the contract M9. Minus different markings. Read this for more information: http://berettaforum.net/vb/showpost.php?p=911418&postcount=4

Beretta started using the plastic/plastic coated parts (not including the grips) on the commercial guns sometime in 2002/03. Not sure when the contract M9 started using them. But they do indeed use them. I've heard it could be around the same time Beretta started producing said parts. Regardless, in layman's terms. If Beretta has an idea for the M9 that they believe to be beneficial. They call up the military and tell them the idea. If it's approved. The idea is incorporated in the M9.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
berettausa.com website sells a all Stella upgrade kit for 69.00 I am going to order one for my 92fs both of my previous beretta 92f and 92fs were made in Italy and had all steel parts. My current 92fs is made in the USA and has the plastic parts. I am going to replace mine just because!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top