Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2015 11:27:02 PM EDT
http://www.all4shooters.com/en/home/pistols/2015-news/Beretta-APX-semi-automatic-pistol-9x19mm-9x21mmIMI-40-Smith-Wesson-IDEX-Abu-Dhabi/
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I was just thinking 2days ago,"I wonder when Beretta will enter the glock market?"
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like these two had a bastard child.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Naw Bro, ten beers and I still wouldn't take that one home.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#5]
That is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen.

I get that they wanted a departure from the lines of the 92 series to appeal to a different/younger audience, but why not at least follow the lines of the PX4?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Do not want
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen.
View Quote

This, definitely. The APX looks hideous.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I'm the odd man out, cause I like it.

Will be interesting to see what MSRP is.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh boy, yet another polymer wonder nine Glock copy. As if there aren't enough of those already
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Notice that when the Marines approved the Glock, magically Beretta releases their version of a Glock? Weird coincidence.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I like it. I just wonder why they chose to use a new magazine instead of PX4 or 92 mags.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe, looks to have potential. I'll have to put my hands on one and see how price works out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Is the APX a true SA?
I would definitely be on board with a DA/SA with a decocker.
I don't see why they couldn't mfg both?
I think it would draw both sides on the Glock, Beretta  argument.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Notice that when the Marines approved the Glock, magically Beretta releases their version of a Glock? Weird coincidence.
View Quote

A variation of this will be their MHS entrant.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Gross.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Jesus, I'm actually liking the looks of this pistol (ugly and all)
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Beretta says that the pistol has been in development for three years. Their lineup is missing a full-size, striker-fired service pistol, after all.

What's strange to me is that it's not going to be out until 2016.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I seriously doubt they designed the pistol in a matter of a few weeks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#21]

“Grooved finger rest”, because lord knows, my finger gets awful tired when I hold sight picture for extended periods of time.  I MUST have somewhere to rest my weary digit.  
“Reversible Magazine Release”… a must have in the field of battle.  
“Serrated for improved cocking” means it’s a Ginsu cheese knife for ease of cut cheese removal.  
The grip is like a bastard downs’ cousin of the H&K.
The mag base plate is identical to the FN models, without the flush fit, trimmed up, or all around sexy German lederhosen beer chugging girlfriend of a the best summer of your life kind of sex appeal.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

“Grooved finger rest”, because lord knows, my finger gets awful tired when I hold sight picture for extended periods of time.  I MUST have somewhere to rest my weary digit.  
“Serrated for improved cocking” means it’s a Ginsu cheese knife for ease of cut cheese removal.  
The mag base plate is identical to the FN models, without the flush fit, trimmed up, or all around sexy German lederhosen beer chugging girlfriend of a the best summer of your life kind of sex appeal.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think that this is a better thought out gun than the recent Sig, Walther, and HK offerings.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Grooved finger rest "   ABOVE THE TRIGGER !   a place to put your finger so its not on the trigger, grooved to remind you your finger is in the right spot, or as some  have called it a memory pad.

"Serrated slide "   for gloved hands or in wet sweaty conditions.

the mag base is contoured to help removal of the mag when stuck and over built for hard use.

Maybe you should stick to a pistol for civilians, not so tuff on your hands.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Since I like the looks of my SD9VE, I don't mind the looks of it at all. The P320 and VP9 aren't going to win any beauty contests either.

Actually kind of interested is this.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:46:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Time will tell how good of a performer it is but I'm pretty surprised that Beretta, the style guru's of the gun world, would put something out that common looking.  That gun does not scream Beretta like every other gun they manufacture.  Doing something new and completely different can be a good thing but just from an aesthetic point of view, the APX was a mistake.  If it turns out to be a fantastic performer, it'll still sell but not as well as if it was more "Beretta".
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Time will tell how good of a performer it is but I'm pretty surprised that Beretta, the style guru's of the gun world, would put something out that common looking.  That gun does not scream Beretta like every other gun they manufacture.  Doing something new and completely different can be a good thing but just from an aesthetic point of view, the APX was a mistake.  If it turns out to be a fantastic performer, it'll still sell but not as well as if it was more "Beretta".
View Quote

More Beretta like the Storm. ?    

They did great with that one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I just hope it uses 92 mags. Haven't seen any official word on that yet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The gearscout article says it doesn't.

Considering it uses a frame insert, an enterprising company could make 92 compatible frames.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering it uses a frame insert, an enterprising company could make 92 compatible frames.

No.

It almost certainly does take the same body shapeas the 92, just like SIG, Walther P99/PPQ, and others use, Mecgar makes a ton of money off that shape.... But if you have looked at how the magazine works and releases from the APX, you'll quickly realize that no one is going to make 92 mags work.

No other mag will work with the APX by merit of the unique way the mags are held in and released from the gun. And that is not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
No.

It almost certainly does take the same body shapeas the 92, just like SIG, Walther P99/PPQ, and others use, Mecgar makes a ton of money off that shape.... But if you have looked at how the magazine works and releases from the APX, you'll quickly realize that no one is going to make 92 mags work.

No other mag will work with the APX by merit of the unique way the mags are held in and released from the gun. And that is not a bad thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

I hope Beretta has a way to get the mags out at a decent price. Nothing sucks more than a good pistol with expensive or unobtainium mags. The 92 mags are common and cheap, so I assumed they would stick with that.

Looking at the magazine release and the locking bit on the mags, I wonder if a separate mag release will be offered to make it 92 mag compatible. As long as the body and the height of the release are the same as the 92, a new mag release would be a simple swap and cheap.

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Other than the floor plate being wide and having a funky shape those look really similar to 92 mags, hopefully the make a version that accepts 92 mags, no need to reinvent the wheel here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I hope Beretta has a way to get the mags out at a decent price. Nothing sucks more than a good pistol with expensive or unobtainium mags. The 92 mags are common and cheap, so I assumed they would stick with that.

Looking at the magazine release and the locking bit on the mags, I wonder if a separate mag release will be offered to make it 92 mag compatible. As long as the body and the height of the release are the same as the 92, a new mag release would be a simple swap and cheap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

I'm pretty sure APX mags are wider than 92 mags, making it impossible to easily convert. The 92 is like a lot of 70's vintage pistols in that it's mags are really too narrow for .40. Even with Mec Gar optimum mags the 96 can only hold 13 rounds, while Beretta says the APX is going to have a capacity of 15 in .40.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Other than the floor plate being wide and having a funky shape those look really similar to 92 mags, hopefully the make a version that accepts 92 mags, no need to reinvent the wheel here.
View Quote
Absolutely there is a need to reinvent the wheel, if you're a manufacturer here.  If your target is military customers, if you use an existing mag pattern the military will invariably consider their 15 round mags as "good enough", meaning the manufacturer takes a bath on the mag design.  And then their design loses to any competition whose mags hold another round or two due to having been developed in the last 25 years.

Sucks for us as consumers, but makes total sense.  Design something different so that the military cannot bitch about it, and that addresses the military's complaints--real or imagined.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Absolutely there is a need to reinvent the wheel, if you're a manufacturer here.  If your target is military customers, if you use an existing mag pattern the military will invariably consider their 15 round mags as "good enough", meaning the manufacturer takes a bath on the mag design.  And then their design loses to any competition whose mags hold another round or two due to having been developed in the last 25 years.

Sucks for us as consumers, but makes total sense.  Design something different so that the military cannot bitch about it, and that addresses the military's complaints--real or imagined.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention there are 92 mags out there with known issues that would invariably make it in an APX and potentially cause problems.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Not to mention there are 92 mags out there with known issues that would invariably make it in an APX and potentially cause problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.  Nothing like checkmate mags to make everyone love your firearm

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well, considering that the frame is not serialized since it uses a trigger pack insert (like to P250/P350), that means that in theory one could build an entirely new frame system that allows for the use of whatever magazine you wanted to. Yes, it wouldn't be compatible with the APX mag catch, but you'd just need that frame to have the appropriate mag catch for the magazine.

The only issue with regards to magazine type is how the breech face interfaces with the mag feedlips.

Using the chassis system you should be able to make APX and P320s that take M9, Glock, M&P, etc. mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Well, considering that the frame is not serialized since it uses a trigger pack insert (like to P250/P350), that means that in theory one could build an entirely new frame system that allows for the use of whatever magazine you wanted to. Yes, it wouldn't be compatible with the APX mag catch, but you'd just need that frame to have the appropriate mag catch for the magazine.

The only issue with regards to magazine type is how the breech face interfaces with the mag feedlips.

Using the chassis system you should be able to make APX and P320s that take M9, Glock, M&P, etc. mags.

This is a fair point, but new frames will only come if the pistol is a success. I'd point to the number of alternate frames the Sig P250 has right now as an example... That said with the P320 initial success, the 250 will be getting more attention.

On the mags... Over-insertion is an issue with Mecgar's typical Beretta, SIG, Walther mags. Not so with Glock or I suspect the APX. Just another aspect one would want to consider for a modular framed handgun.

My only cautious concern currently with the APX is that the recoil guide feature on the bottom of the slide! It's tiny. So tiny in fact that it currently looks impossible to take a long slide and stick it on the smaller frame because there would be exposed guide rod. The SIG P320 on the other hand, has a longer boss here so you can swap frames around. All the photos of the APX so far show me this is a no-go unless Beretta made small grips (Glock19 sized) for the long slide (Glock17 sized) which I doubt they would know to do on their own. All Beretta would need to do is lengthen this out which would be fine because their sights are dovetail (no need to machine from the bottom likely) but of course they will likely not catch this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top