Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2015 6:59:48 PM EDT
So I was shooting my M9A1 a couple of months back. I had my wedding ring on my right hand because it was cold out and I was afraid my ring would fall off of my left hand; it fits tighter on my right.
Anyways, after 60 rounds or so, I noticed the finish was completely gone where my ring finger was.
I know scratches on a gun are normal after a time, but this is in such an odd, non-normal wear area that I'd like to get it fixed if possible.
Any ideas as to whether this is a warranty issue, or am I just out of luck? The gun is still in the warranty period.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Your kidding right?  You're really worried about a scratch?

There is a product called Aluminum Black.  Google it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#2]
What is your ring made of?  If it's precious metal it's most likely a transfer and you can remove it from the finish.  If you have a tungsten or titanium ring, or a cheap ring- you might have harmed the firearm's finish.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Not warranty, what is your ring made of tungsten?

I would expect gold,silver,platinum to be much softer than the anodized finish, but tungsten is very very hard and am not at all surprised to see it eat the finish off if this is the case.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Either way, FPNI.  Alumablack.  Even if it's a transfer, I'll bet Alumablack does its thing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Hope I did this right.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hope I did this right.

https://i.imgflip.com/hkitq.jpg
View Quote

Nahhhh...but this will fix it the ARFcom way

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Own that scratch mister! Be proud that you are out there shooting ever if it means your pistol gets a few dings and scratches.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Own that scratch mister! Be proud that you are out there shooting ever if it means your pistol gets a few dings and scratches.
View Quote

AMEN!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
lol
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Show it to the wife and tell her that's how much you love her.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:02:18 AM EDT
[#11]
put a set of Hogue wraparound grips on it and you will never see that scratch
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
put a set of Hogue wraparound grips on it and you will never see that scratch
View Quote

Or gloves.
I do both.

People think I'm an operator with my tac-kool  gloves.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#13]
My first question is why do you wear a wedding ring?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What is your ring made of?  If it's precious metal it's most likely a transfer and you can remove it from the finish.  If you have a tungsten or titanium ring, or a cheap ring- you might have harmed the firearm's finish.
View Quote
This post sums it up nicely.

And OP--No, I don't think beretta will care about that for warranty; if memory serves the owners manual specifically excludes normal wear and tear from safe and normal operation of the firearm.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My first question is why do you wear a wedding ring?
View Quote

My guess is because he's married. Warranty will not be covering YOUR scratches. Warranties are usually only covered by performance issues not personal dings and scratches. (normal wear and tear)
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Why do you think this is a warranty issue?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#18]
The gun is not warrantyable and essentially useless at this point. Ill give you scrap metal value for it, and thats a gift
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#19]
My main concern is just wondering if there was an issue with the finish itself, or if it's normal for a wedding ring to wear off the gun's finish in such short order. If that's a normal thing to happen, then no biggy. It is a tungsten carbide ring, so that might explain it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

My main concern is just wondering if there was an issue with the finish itself, or if it's normal for a wedding ring to wear off the gun's finish in such short order. If that's a normal thing to happen, then no biggy. It is a tungsten carbide ring, so that might explain it.
View Quote

Of course it's not normal! It only happens the left-handed

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah with a TC ring, that will happen.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the input. I'll just keep the damn thing in my pocket when I'm out shooting, or wear gloves, which usually happens here anyway in the summer when it's 100+ degrees, with a black gun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Or if your into it you can take it off and be tatted with a wedding ring tat. Win,win for you and the wife.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Your kidding right?  You're really worried about a scratch?

There is a product called Aluminum Black.  Google it.
View Quote

Seriosuly...

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Tell your wife that scratch shows her how much you love her

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Your kidding right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top