Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2014 12:29:11 AM EDT
I am an amateur gunsmith and like to do my work myself. I know it won't be as good as custom as Wilson Combat pistols but if figured I put all their parts in it will be better than stock. No it won't have the color change and some of the other modes to the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Just dropping in parts will not automatically make it better than stock.

Fit the parts to your needs or requirements, then it may become better for you.

It starts off as a very good pistol right from the factory and most people are better served in applying money towards ammo and practice to become proficient. Then start adding parts as needed
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Other than a G conversion and a paint job, all Wilson can do to a Beretta is give it light primer strikes.

Seriously.  A 92 is about the most reliable handgun in the history of the planet and the trigger is pretty good too.  What are you really gonna do to it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I've owned a 92 since 1989.  Other than springs every 5,000 rounds I haven't done a thing to it and can't imagine why I would.  It works and any "improvements" will only mess it up.  Mine has been 100% reliable with every kind of ammo imaginable.  Accuracy is at least as good as any other 9mm I've owned (and I've owned most of them).  The trigger is perfectly acceptable for a duty gun.  

The only reason I could see for tweaking a 92 is to make a serious run at Distinguished in CMP Pistol.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I earned my distinguished on an army team with a stock rack beretta. I had the chance to ransom rest the rack guns and they were all 2&1/4 inch group or better at 25 yards. They opened up to about six inch groups at fifty yards but are one of the most accurate off the shelf 9mm pistols around. I did see many people try to play tricks with springs and in every case all that resulted was money spent and misfires
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Other than a G conversion and a paint job, all Wilson can do to a Beretta is give it light primer strikes.

Seriously.  A 92 is about the most reliable handgun in the history of the planet and the trigger is pretty good too.  What are you really gonna do to it?
View Quote

You've gotten light primer strikes on a Beretta with a wilson trigger job? I ask because I have close to 700 rounds through mine now without a hiccup using all kinds of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

And what exactly is your experience with Wilson Beretta 92 pistols?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]
My WC 92A1 has 1500 rounds thru it without a light strike.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My WC 92A1 has 1500 rounds thru it without a light strike.
View Quote

That's good to know. I just sent mine off this week. Can't wait to get it back.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just dropping in parts will not automatically make it better than stock.
View Quote

Allow me to disagree. By changing the springs in a bone stock 92FS (especially an older model), one immediately improves the gun over stock condition. Specifically, swapping in a reduced power mainspring, reduced power trigger return spring & upping the recoil spring by 2-3lbs.

Now before someone begins to chant about light primer strikes, I have done all of those things to all three of my 92's & have NEVER had the first light primer strike. Is there such a thing as too light of a mainspring? No doubt. But as long as one doesn't go below the 14lb (IIRC) rating of the DAO mainspring, one should never have issues.

I would also contend that swapping in an all-metal trigger over the newer plastic coated triggers offers an improvement as well.

Feel free to disprove any of these.............    
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the plastic trigger is an improvement over the metal one.  Guiderod too.

Plastic trigger is less likely to break springs and is not slippery like the metal one.  

What is the purpose of upping the recoil spring 2-3lbs?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm guessing to lessen felt recoil and lessen wear on the gun if you're shooting +P/+P+ ammo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think the plastic trigger is an improvement over the metal one.  Guiderod too.

Plastic trigger is less likely to break springs and is not slippery like the metal one.  

View Quote

I agree that the less slippery plastic trigger is indeed nice but im not sure how this trigger is less prone to breaking trigger springs?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure how a metal trigger was breaking springs?  

When the mainspring is dropped to a DAO spring, the hammer gives less resistance to the slide cycling. When robbing Peter, one must then pay Paul. By adding 2-3lbs to the recoil spring, it makes up for lowering the mainspring poundage.

Actually, I always bump up my semi recoil springs by 2-3lbs over OEM anyway as I don't shoot light target loads. It certainly helps protect the bbl block as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I agree that the less slippery plastic trigger is indeed nice but im not sure how this trigger is less prone to breaking trigger springs?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't a dab or two of silicone rubber or some friction tape fix the "slippery" trigger issue? I have a metal trigger and I have never noticed it being slippery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top