Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2014 11:55:19 PM EDT
I bought an old 92 not used much got it cheap but I was wanting to upgrade the parts on it and was looking what people have done! Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Springs is about the only upgrade I've done to mine in the last 25 years, and I consider that routine maintenance rather than an upgrade.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Trade it in for a glock

Seriously though http://www.wickedgrips.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=64
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Spring change throughout the gun & grips are what I changed on mine. I use mine in USPSA & it runs like a Swiss watch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the D-series spring.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I put the Hogue wrap around grips on mine, and I absolutely love it. Seems to fit the hand better. They can be had for around $15.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]
"D" spring is by and far the best upgrade.  Cheap and easy to do as well.

The Wolff unbreakable trigger spring would be high on the list if you have a steel trigger.  

New style locking block would be a consideration, depending on what you actually have in there.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#7]
If it helps, I rebuilt my 1993 92FS a few years ago.  I used a wolf spring kit, wolf INS trigger, d spring, latest version locking block and new barrel.  It isn't a looker, but shoots just like a new gun.

I picked up a 2005 96FS Vertec last week.  I'm thinking a D spring, wolf INS trigger and elite hammer.  I've already upgraded to a metal guide rod and new recoil spring.  I might try a heavier recoil spring too.

There has always been one thing I wanted to try before I buy.   A larger mag release.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#8]
There is nothing that a Beretta needs as a rule.

For myself, I add grip tape to the front and back strap.

A slower twist barrel from KKM Precision will make it shoot a lot better.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a brigadierre slide...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I would trade it for a different gun, but since you obviously want to keep it, the only thing I would do is put a Wolf mainspring in it. Don't change grips, they may cause a malfunction.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought the Wilson Combat "D-Spring" and Short Reach Trigger. It arrived today so Ill post up if I like them or not. The gun certainly didnt need it, but I had some spare cash laying around so thought I would give it a shot
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't change grips, they may cause a malfunction.
View Quote

Say what............?????    
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on the ammo used. I've busted clays on a berm from 50 yards with a bone stock 92FS & cheap FMJ ammo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Depends on the ammo used. I've busted clays on a berm from 50 yards with a bone stock 92FS & cheap FMJ ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A stock Beretta will occasionally hold a 50 yard repair center. With a match barrel, these guns will shoot a sub-2" group repeatedly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Under the right grip is the trigger bar and trigger bar spring. A set of grips by an aftermarket company (esp. rubber grips) may contact either or both of these when they are installed. They may test fire fine, but should the grips contort ie, swell, shrink, expand, whatever, due to weather or contact with solvents, they may even cause the trigger bar spring to disengage. I have seen this happen a few times on mil M9 pistols. When I was in the army and M9s were the only pistol available I wouldn't let my guys change the factory grips. They would either obtain a spare set of stock grips and stiple the outside w/ a soldering iron or stretch bicycle inner tube over the existing grips if they preferred a "sticky" feel. Skateboard tape will work but is known to peel off in hot weather and leaves a mess.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Under the right grip is the trigger bar and trigger bar spring. A set of grips by an aftermarket company (esp. rubber grips) may contact either or both of these when they are installed. They may test fire fine, but should the grips contort ie, swell, shrink, expand, whatever, due to weather or contact with solvents, they may even cause the trigger bar spring to disengage. I have seen this happen a few times on mil M9 pistols. When I was in the army and M9s were the only pistol available I wouldn't let my guys change the factory grips. They would either obtain a spare set of stock grips and stiple the outside w/ a soldering iron or stretch bicycle inner tube over the existing grips if they preferred a "sticky" feel. Skateboard tape will work but is known to peel off in hot weather and leaves a mess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds more like a specific mfg/material of grip in question rather than "if you use anything other than stock you will have problems" issue.

rubber, ok, maybe. but what about plastic (that's what the factory ones are), G 10, aluminum, wood, etc..............

One of the first things i do to a 92 (i own several) is put a pair of VZ grips on, they aren't any thinner, but have an excellent feel and offer much better traction. I use them on my CZ's as well.

i have had zero issues caused by the grips over the years, nor have I ever heard that changing the grips on a 92 will cause failures.

specific products i can see, but as a rule of thumb, I gotta call B.S.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

sounds more like a specific mfg/material of grip in question rather than "if you use anything other than stock you will have problems" issue.

rubber, ok, maybe. but what about plastic (that's what the factory ones are), G 10, aluminum, wood, etc..............

One of the first things i do to a 92 (i own several) is put a pair of VZ grips on, they aren't any thinner, but have an excellent feel and offer much better traction. I use them on my CZ's as well.

i have had zero issues caused by the grips over the years, nor have I ever heard that changing the grips on a 92 will cause failures.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info on the grips. I've got a set incoming for a 92A1 that I have on layaway and was curious as how they compared to the stock grips. I recently put VZ's on my 1911 and Browning HP and really like them a lot, figured I couldn't go wrong putting a set on the Beretta.
I also ordered three Mec-Gar 20 rounders and a Beretta 30 and lastly, a steel guide rod. The plastic guide rod in my 226 failed while at the range,I learned a lesson and will never let that happen again.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:22:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would trade it for a different gun, but since you obviously want to keep it, the only thing I would do is put a Wolf mainspring in it. Don't change grips, they may cause a malfunction.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:35:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have tried to I really do not like it but no one wants to trade or buy it! Nice weapon looks to be new only put one mag through it when I got it other then that I would say its 95%+ new. Would trade it off for a XD/XDM Glock 21,22,19 maybe a 17.

cassellracing24 here if you want it have three mags with it
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#20]
dumb question: just put a new wolff 13# recoil spring in a 92s. The other spring that comes in the wolff packaging, that isn't a "D" spring, is it?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

dumb question: just put a new wolff 13# recoil spring in a 92s. The other spring that comes in the wolff packaging, that isn't a "D" spring, is it?
View Quote
No,it's a firing pin spring.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I recommend the "D" spring.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#23]
The "D" spring will aid quite a bit. Very easy to replace if you are mechanically inclined. Other than grips, the 92 is well built. The biggest problem you will have to encounter, is the different variants you will want to collect-Elites,90-two, etc..
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:40:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been looking at the replacement safety lever from Wilson.  It's a low profile unit that gets rid of the tab on the right side of the gun and something along the lines of what S&W uses.  Basically it allows you to grasp the slide and grip it and rip it during a reload without engaging the safety as a result.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:43:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Best place to buy?
Quoted:
Quoted:
No,it's a firing pin spring.

Worth while to install?
Quoted:
I've been looking at the replacement safety lever from Wilson.  It's a low profile unit that gets rid of the tab on the right side of the gun and something along the lines of what S&W uses.  Basically it allows you to grasp the slide and grip it and rip it during a reload without engaging the safety as a result.

That's cool.
I feel like I need a sight upgrade, bad. These 30yr old 92S sights are less than ideal

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top