Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2014 11:34:59 PM EDT
Where can good mags be had at the best price?
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 2:26:52 AM EDT
[#1]
DSG
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Midway has CMI 15rd mags for $16 and Beretta 15rd mags for $20.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Aren't CMIs crappy? Which M9 mags should be avoided?

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Midway has a clearance sale on 20 round mec gar magazines for 22$
You won't find that anywhere else.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
I know mecgar makes good stuff usually, but how are their 92 mags?

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with current production CMI mags. Ever since they switched to the dry film finish they've been fine.

MecGar mags are excellent as well.

I'd avoid ProMags. I've heard nothing but bad things about them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had some of their 18rnd flush fit mags, and they were fantastic.  Never had a feeding issue, and you can tell by looking at them that they are high quality.  I never use the factory mags anymore, they just sit in my SHTF surplus storage thingy.  I'd buy Mecgars all day long.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out www.berettausa.com

They are running a Fathers Day sale until Friday 25% off everything, and if you use the FB code FBFAN13 it takes another 10% off.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They are running a Fathers Day sale until Friday 25% off everything, and if you use the FB code FBFAN13 it takes another 10% off.  

View Quote
what a deal @ $35/each

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
what a deal @ $35/each  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what a deal @ $35/each  

Reading comprehension is apparently optional.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what a deal @ $35/each  

They weren't marked as discounted on the website.  Maybe you have to add them to the car first.  Even then, they are still $23.62/each. Ouch.

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#12]
When you put them in the cart it automatically discounts them.  92 mags are still a little high, but I'm going for the ARX160 mags,

cheapest I've seen with the discount.  Also, if in the market for one, new barrel can be had for about 80 bucks
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Speaking of mags, how often do 92 mag springs go bad?  I may have a line on some used police trade in mags for a cheaper price and wonder if its worth it to buy them and if I should replace springs.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure, I bought my 92 used with 3 mags.  The pistol was made in 1986 so I just assumed mags were of same age,

bought some Wolff springs to replace with.  So far so good.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't bother with 15rd mags unless you can get them for really cheap, when you can get the 18rd Mec-Gar mags.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I wouldn't bother with 15rd mags unless you can get them for really cheap, when you can get the 18rd Mec-Gar mags.
View Quote
How cheap is really cheap? Like $15 each, $10 each, etc?

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

local army surplus store got me 4 for 20 OTD, I did have to buy a m65 jacket liner though too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
local army surplus store got me 4 for 20 OTD, I did have to buy a m65 jacket liner though too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HA, that will never happen in San Antonio.

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They weren't marked as discounted on the website.  Maybe you have to add them to the car first.  Even then, they are still $23.62/each. Ouch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what a deal @ $35/each  

Also you have to factor in the shipping !!!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Check-Mate magazines can be had from their website for I think around $18.74 each for 15 round mags.  FWIW I have some Check-Mate mags and they have been good to go.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I found some USGI surpluses mags at a pawn shop and they are asking $7.95/each for them. They are CMI (2002-2010, various years), PB, MDS, and Airtronic. Are any of the USGI mags really terrible? Do they just need new springs? What were the specific issues with USGI mags?

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#22]
The only real issues with the early, pre May of 2004 Checkmate mags were the thick, heavy park-finish (that Uncle Sam-spec'd) that tended to catch and hold the fine sand over in the MIddle East.  This issue was solved by the introduction of the light-gray, "teflon"-type finish applied by CMI post 2004 and still in use today.  They even went so far as to coat the actual follower in the same finish for a few years afterward!  

That being said, I've always had good luck with the early Checkmate magazines myself.  I simply run a large handful of "OO" steel-wool (bottom to top) thru the magazine-body a few times to smooth out the park inside.  Makes for a very smooth and reliable magazine.  The later mags are already good-to-go.  As with most magazines, they either work well or they don't.  You'll find out quickly if there is an issue.  

The only other issue you can find with the Factory Beretta magazines (P.B. or MDS) is that one CAN re-assemble the magazine spring UPSIDE DOWN and/or backwards after cleaning and disassembly.  The weapon will still function reliably (for the most part) but the slide will fail to lock-back on an empty mag.  Both Checkmate and Airtronic solved this issue by semi-permanantly attaching the magazine-base/lock to the mag spring.  Good luck.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for that great info!  I have also heard reports of Beretta magazine springs setting and no longer working well after being fully loaded for years at a time.  I know this is opposite of conventional wisdom I have heard in general rearding leaving mags loaded.  Is there an issue with Beretta mags in general? Or are the springs just as good as other magazine springs?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#24]
In my experience, Factory Beretta magazine-springs are pretty hardy.  I've never replaced a Factory-spring due to it "taking a set" or even wearing-out for that matter.  I wouldn't spend extra money on buying replacement springs unless and until you've found that they are actually defective or worn-out.

If you are able to locate good, used Factory 15rd Beretta PB or MDS-marked magazines for $8.00 per, I'd double-check the feedlips for straightness and/or damage and buy as many as you like.  I wouldn't worry about the springs.  If you are able to locate good, used Checkmate mags for $5.00 or $6.00 per, as long as the feed-lips are straight and undamaged, I'd buy those as well.  I wouldn't worry about them either, unless or until they fail to lock back the slide when emply.  In my experience the only thing good used Factory or Mec-Gar Beretta magazines ever really need is a good cleaning.  Especially the USGI mags.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Here! Iv got a bunch listed in the EE. Factory M9 15rd mags. PM sent
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Here! Iv got a bunch listed in the EE. Factory M9 15rd mags. PM sent
View Quote
Thanks, but I guess I should have updated the thread. I got nine USGI mags for $7/each and 20 Beretta mags for $10 each in the last two days. I guess there are better deals out there, but I snagged an excellent 1990 Beretta 92FS for $299 at the same time, so I did ok I think.

I couldn't find your EE ad, by the way.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#27]
I wouldn't spend over $10 for a NIW M9 magazine (CMI or Airtronics). The magazine spring is still a weak point on M9 magazines.

Stick with Beretta/MDS/Mec-Gar
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I wouldn't spend over $10 for a NIW M9 magazine (CMI or Airtronics). The magazine spring is still a weak point on M9 magazines.

View Quote
Why are the springs bad?

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:21:12 AM EDT
[#29]
The mec gar beretta mags are gtg, if the 20 rounders are still on sale at midway I highly recommend picking some up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:53:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why are the springs bad?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are the springs bad?  

Mag springs wear out much faster on M9 mags compared to OEM. You can always buy a replacement from Wolff/Beretta, but you can buy factory mags for cheaper when you factor the price for new mag springs.

Not to mention OEM 15 and 17 round mags are $20 a pop at Midway 24/7 (even back during Obamamania).

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Mag springs wear out much faster on M9 mags compared to OEM. You can always buy a replacement from Wolff/Beretta, but you can buy factory mags for cheaper when you factor the price for new mag springs.

Not to mention OEM 15 and 17 round mags are $20 a pop at Midway 24/7 (even back during Obamamania).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are the springs bad?  

Can you show some data or research on that claim ? ive been reading pretty positive reviews of the GI mags ( not counting the older checkmate problems.).
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Can you show some data or research on that claim ? ive been reading pretty positive reviews of the GI mags ( not counting the older checkmate problems.).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are the springs bad?  

Does owning over a dozen Beretta 92 variants and a boatload of Beretta & M9 mags count?

The only malfunctions I've had on Beretta 92s (that were not related to ammo or lube) were FTEs with used Airtronics & Checkmate mags. The same magazines would instantly stop malfunctions with a new Wolff mag spring.

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Does owning over a dozen Beretta 92 variants and a boatload of Beretta & M9 mags count?

The only malfunctions I've had on Beretta 92s (that were not related to ammo or lube) were FTEs with used Airtronics & Checkmate mags. The same magazines would instantly stop malfunctions with a new Wolff mag spring.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are the springs bad?  

So those were used mags , with unknown round counts and use.  What's your experience with new Airtronic or Checkmate mags ?

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So those were used mags , with unknown round counts and use.  What's your experience with new Airtronic or Checkmate mags ?

View Quote

NIW CM & Airtronics work fine, but the mag spring still wears much faster compared to OEM.

I've had to replace mag springs in some that only had about 2 years of use before they went belly up (worked fine with new springs). Compared to factory Beretta M9 mags bought used & abused with a mag spring still going

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Botach has Beretta 17 round mags for 17.99 free shipping.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#37]
What's the word on Airtronic Services Inc. military contract mags?  I picked up four from a buddy after I tried them the range.
They functioned fine but should I trust them for carry or just range mags. Springs are tight and feel like my OEM mags.
Fit is good with no gap, drop free real slick.  Came with the flat metal base plate but I swapped them for standard.
Date stamped 04/2006.

I have never heard of Airtronic but they seem like a quality mag.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I got mine from Midway as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Greg Cote

Here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top