Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2014 10:32:23 PM EDT
With everything NIB?  I've seen them sell for anywhere from $650 to $900 and was wondering what the consensus was on it's worth in that condition.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about, it's this (not my picture):

Link Posted: 5/25/2014 12:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You mean the Operation Enduring Freedom ones?

I've seen them asking in your price range.  I wish they made an Iraqi freedom edition but they didn't.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You mean the Operation Enduring Freedom ones?

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/9029190035/7422153/17a5ca16aca6711cc80e5fbd3c28a509.jpg

I've seen them asking in your price range.  I wish they made an Iraqi freedom edition but they didn't.
View Quote

Not a "Operation Enduring Freedom" one.  It's like the one pictured in the OP with the green boxes, mag pouch, holster, belt, paperwork, patch, and manual.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#3]
With rare, rare, RARE exceptions, a "special edition" isn't worth any more than a standard edition in the same condition.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
With rare, rare, RARE exceptions, a "special edition" isn't worth any more than a standard edition in the same condition.
View Quote

You sure? Because I've seen the box set (the green box with the mag pouch, holster, belt, etc) sell for $850 here on the EE.  Even more elsewhere.

Whereas the standard M9 seems to be in the $500-600 range and the lowest I've seen the special edition box set go for was $650 and that was good (at best) condition.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You sure? Because I've seen the box set (the green box with the mag pouch, holster, belt, etc) sell for $850 here on the EE.  Even more elsewhere.

Whereas the standard M9 seems to be in the $500-600 range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never seem any gun company make more "special editions " than Beretta .
They have made more special branch / military editions than you can dream up . Each of these so called special editions is limited to about 2000 pistols
I like beretta 92 platform , but I would never pay a premium for the "fluff" -
92a1 is the best variant made IMHO. You want a model with dovetailed front sight ( slide is a little beefier ) 92a1 has all the same upgrades Beretta put in to handle the .40 S&W (model 96 )
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Whereas the standard M9 seems to be in the $500-600 range and the lowest I've seen the special edition box set go for was $650 and that was in average (IIRC) condition.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Whereas the standard M9 seems to be in the $500-600 range and the lowest I've seen the special edition box set go for was $650 and that was in average (IIRC) condition.

Like everything else in life it is worth what someone will pay for it.  Educated shoppers would pay similar prices to run of the mill similar M9's as they are still in current production, they are not necessairly going to command the price premium you are looking for.  Unless you find that rare individual that finds their "must have" and will pay a premium for their desire to have one.

Many things that are priced more than double what they are worth fly off the tables at gun shows due to a captive audience that does not do their due diligence and research on prices before heading in the door with a pocket full of cash and a desire to have some specific item.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 4:34:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Like everything else in life it is worth what someone will pay for it.  Educated shoppers would pay similar prices to run of the mill similar M9's as they are still in current production, they are not necessairly going to command the price premium you are looking for.  Unless you find that rare individual that finds their "must have" and will pay a premium for their desire to have one.

Many things that are priced more than double what they are worth fly off the tables at gun shows due to a captive audience that does not do their due diligence and research on prices before heading in the door with a pocket full of cash and a desire to have some specific item.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, and you will usually see them on the various gun sales sights trying unsuccessfully to get their money back.  Winchester was another company that made every kind of special edition Model 94 you can imagine.  You can always find them "Special edition!! New in box!! Rare!!" for sale at some ridiculous price but never selling.  A Winchester 94 is an excellent rifle but the ones with whatever limited decorations on them aren't worth any more than a plain Jane model.  

This particular special edition Beretta seems to have a value nowadays around $700-800 for a pristine version.  There were 10,000 of these sold so they aren't exactly rare and they don't seem to be selling very well at those prices, a quick search found a LOT of these for sale.  I guess if someone was really into collecting military related stuff they may pay that $700-800 but there's no way I would.  They aren't actual military Beretta's just the same model given the M9 prefix but there is a degree of "neato" to the set so to the right person who knows.

I'll stick with my 92A1, I get to actually shoot it without ruining it's value
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Whereas the standard M9 seems to be in the $500-600 range and the lowest I've seen the special edition box set go for was $650 and that was good (at best) condition.
View Quote

A gun is "worth" only what someone is willing to pay for it. Doesn't matter what the original purchase price is/was, it's what someone is willing to pay NOW.

I've worked for gun dealers for over 25 years now, so yes, I have a pretty good idea on what the market does bear on "special editions". Not saying I'm always right or perfect on my predictions, but I get it pretty close most of the time. Anyone who is willing to pay $850 for one of those editions reminds me of the adage about a "fool & his money"..............  

But I also admit to overpaying for gun more than once simply because I wanted the damn thing & he wouldn't come off the price. So everything is relative, eh?  
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Love this myself and hope i can get one, one day. There was a guy locally selling one for $750 and i had just missed it. Go figure.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Those Special Edition M9s have something going for them that any of the other commercial M9s do not - they have the PM slide proof marking that all actual issue pistols have. None of the other commercial M9s have that mark.

It's a minor distinction, but one that might be important to a collector.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you have one for sale or looking for one?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't know the value now but bought mine in 1998. Came with holster and other accessories.
The smaller box is a Military shipping box.
The serial number is M9 xxxx. Other then that, it's identical to an Army M9.

Prior to that run, the only legit M9s were ex LEO guns and they were a premium.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you have one for sale or looking for one?
View Quote

Neither.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 2:03:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Without the box & accessories? Same as a used 92FS/M9

With the box & accessories & NIB? Maybe 15%-20% more than a NIB M9 IF you find a buyer.

Its still just a commercial M9 in a green box with a M12 holster kit, a patch, and a certificate.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:40:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They have made more special branch / military editions than you can dream up . Each of these so called special editions is limited to about 2000 pistols
92a1 is the best variant made IMHO. You want a model with dovetailed front sight ( slide is a little beefier ) 92a1 has all the same upgrades Beretta put in to handle the .40 S&W (model 96 )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt back in the day had it's fair share of special editions for this and that .
Sometimes a special edition will go for even less than a regular production one .
As a previous poster stated , If you shoot it it will decrease its value .
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not the ONLY legit M9s in civvy hands.

Don't forget about the retired GO guns.

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Pistols/M9-Serialnumber-OBSCUREDHALF.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Pistols/M9-Serialnumber-OBSCUREDHALF.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't know the value now but bought mine in 1998. Came with holster and other accessories.
The smaller box is a Military shipping box.
The serial number is M9 xxxx. Other then that, it's identical to an Army M9.

Prior to that run, the only legit M9s were ex LEO guns and they were a premium.

Not the ONLY legit M9s in civvy hands.

Don't forget about the retired GO guns.

<a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/user/HardShell/media/RWB%20-%20Pistols/M9-Serialnumber-OBSCUREDHALF.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Pistols/M9-Serialnumber-OBSCUREDHALF.jpg</a>

Forgot about those. Though I wondered how many actually bought them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#18]
If I owned one of those special editions I would hang onto it for a few decades and then sell once everyone gets all nostalgic for web gear.

Right now nothing in that package is remotely rare.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I have one of these, purchased in 1998.  the dealer saw me coming and talked me into this rather than a plain old 92FS I had put a deposit on.  I have had it at a local gun shop for some time with no luck.  bottom line is I am trying to sell the whole package, I have taken care of the green box with all the goodies, I have the wood grips and display box also.  I would let this thing go for $750, but considering what you could go get at the gun store, I would assume most people would rather go that route than deal with trusting a stranger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top