Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2014 5:52:33 PM EDT
I used to not like the Beretta 92. I bought into the hype that they were too big, had poor ergonomics and shot too small a caliber. So I never looked into them much. Shooting my M9 in the military started to open my eyes a little and I started to realize there was something special about the pistol. The platform actually felt really good to shoot and the light recoil made quick follow up shots too easy. During my 9 months in Iraq I grew fond of my M9 and when it came time to part with it I already had a 92A1 waiting for me at home. As much as I resisted the Beretta it has become the pistol I shoot best and now sits on my nightstand every night just as my M9 used to in Iraq.

My M9 posed with a cigar arfcom member Echo Angel was kind enough to send to me while deployed:

I shoot my 92A1 at the range and USPSA/IDPA every now and then but it doesn't get carried often due to its size which I why I picked up a 92FS Compact INOX last week. My first impression of the 92 compact is how beautiful it is in INOX. The pistol feels a lot like its full sized brother but is easier to carry with .65" cut off the barrel and a shorter grip. The shorter grip results in 13 rd mags which I believe is still more than adequate for a carry pistol. The magazine also has a small extension which doesn't get in the way and is just enough to make the grip still feel full sized. The trigger and trigger guard are still full sized and allow for easy access even with gloves. The safety is in the normal spot for the 92 platform and performs as intended. I've never experience problems with them while gripping the slide from the rear.

I've only had the chance to fire a few rounds with this gun so far but I have no reason to doubt it's reliability given Beretta's history of making dependable pistols. The sights are of the three dot variety and are red instead of the normal white. I'm not sure what the reason for the change was but I feel like the red dots are harder to see. Like the standard 92fs, the rear is removable but the front sight post is fixed. The new compact also features the M9A1 style rail for those interested in using a light. However this makes holsters hard to find. It will fit M9A1 and 92 Vertec holsters but they usually have extra room on the end for the long slide. The trigger pull is very smooth and still the best DA/SA I've shot. That said the DA pull is very heavy, more than the full sized 92, probably north of 12 lbs. I highly recommend Beretta's DAO "D" hammer spring and have already changed mine. With the new spring the trigger is a delight.

The fit and finish on this pistol is fantastic. The front and rear of the grip are checkered beautifully. The guide rod is steel and adds welcomed weight to the front of the gun.

A lot of people complain about the Beretta's size, even the compact. But dimensionally it is very similar to the Glock 19, while having a little longer slide & barrel. The thickness of the two are as near as makes no difference however the Glock is noticeably lighter. Fully loaded the G19 weights 30.8 oz while the 92fs compact weights 37.7 oz.

Glock 19 on top of the 92fs compact:

Overall the 92FS Compact is a fantastic pistol. I'd like to see Beretta incorporate some things from the newer 92A1 with a removable front sight and captured guide rod. I'd also love to see a single stack "M" version without the rail but I don't know if we'll see that anytime soon. Even without those this gun is wonderful, it incorporates everything we love about the 92FS into a more usable size. Right now the gun retails for about $680 and includes two 13rd magazines, but if you look deals can be found around $600. It is a great carry gun for those who enjoy the full sized 92.

My Beretta family: (90-Two, 21A, 92FS Compact and 92A1 w/ TLR-1)

Update after shooting:
I had the opportunity to put about 140 rds through her at a USPSA match tonight. As would be expected, 100% reliability with no malfunctions and all brass thrown to the right and clear of the shooter. I used each of the 13rd compact magazines four times as well as 15 rd Beretta and Check mate mags, none of which had any issues even after being dropped in the dirt from previous stages. Since it has a M9A1 frame it has a nice bevel in the magazine well which aids in reloading.

The biggest down side for me were the sights, I am not liking the red dots. They are hard to pick up, I don't remember seeing the dots at all during shooting and had some issues hitting 6" steel plates. I plan on painting the rear sights in the semi circle M9 style (which is already depressed in the sight) and painting the front sight dot white so it's easier to pick up.

On the upside, the pistol shoots beautifully, feeling a lot like the full sized 92. Recoil was light and predictable, and the M9A1 checkering provides a solid grip. The trigger is smooth and breaks very clean but is still heavier than the full sized 92 with the same trigger spring. Holding them side by side, you can see the compact is about 1/2" shorter, which I believe is compressing the D spring more causing a heavier trigger pull.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats. Nice collection. The 92 is my favorite gun as well!
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice review...thanks!  After you do some more shooting, can you post more?  I wonder how it is to shoot a couple of hundred rnds or more in a session.

I am leaning towards one of these.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent and timely review, thanks. This is the answer I found as well whilst searching for a G19 sized double action. I'm considering the AGW slim single side safety, the D spring, Beretta Elite skeletonized hammer, trijicon night sights (orange front sight), and Beretta wood grips.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you use the standard sized D spring or did you buy a different one?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote
Same spring.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:26:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been carrying one off and on for about a year great little carry gun.  I've added the wolf trigger return spring and the d spring.  Reallllly cleans up the trigger pull.   I did have to modify the stock trigger to fit the return spring but it was worth the effort.  My next effort is hunting down one of the plastic full size guide rods and cut to length to lose some unneeded weight in the steel rod.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice review...thanks!  After you do some more shooting, can you post more?  I wonder how it is to shoot a couple of hundred rnds or more in a session.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks, I can defiantly post an update after I shoot it more. I'll shoot at the next USPSA match and get a better feel for it.

Quoted:

Thanks.

Yes, I used the full sized 92D spring. It's not quite as light as using the spring in a full size 92 but it's a huge improvement over the stock hammer spring.

Quoted:
I've been carrying one off and on for about a year great little carry gun.  I've added the wolf trigger return spring and the d spring.  Reallllly cleans up the trigger pull.   I did have to modify the stock trigger to fit the return spring but it was worth the effort.  My next effort is hunting down one of the plastic full size guide rods and cut to length to lose some unneeded weight in the steel rod.

Ironic, I want to find a captured steel guide rod for my 92A1 to add a little more weight to the front. I don't mind the extra weight when it has a favorable effect on shooting.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting. I have the 92FS and have been looking for a lighter EDC, this just might be it.

ETA: Do your other Beretta mage work with it? I know they're not ideal for carry, just curious.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I had one and liked it a lot. I bought it as a carry piece to complement my USPSA/IDPA gun (full size 92FS) and nightstand gun (M9A1). Ended up selling it because I live in a ban state and pre-ban 13 rounders were too damn hard to find. It was never reliable enough with the 10-round cripple compact mags for my liking. It was perfect with the 13 rounders though.

Also, if you didn't already know, Wilson Combat is doing Beretta 92 custom work now. Bill Wilson is a huge fan of the 92 series. I bought a couple of the short reach triggers and they work great. I'm seriously considering sending off my 92FS slide and converting it to a 92G.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm seriously considering sending off my 92FS slide and converting it to a 92G.
View Quote

Waste of money, in my opinion. I've had one for over twenty years and I've never had the safety switch itself on once. I really don't know why people obsess over this.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Waste of money, in my opinion. I've had one for over twenty years and I've never had the safety switch itself on once. I really don't know why people obsess over this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a non-issue. I agree its not a major issue like some people say, especially with proper technique/training, but it's not a non-issue either.

Performing malfunction drills, especially under any sort of stress (be it competition, training, etc), the risk of accidently knocking the safety on is real. I shoot the 92 exclusively for IDPA/USPSA. It has happened to me before at an IDPA match when I went to clear a doublefeed. Shit happens.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It's not a non-issue. I agree its not a major issue like some people say, especially with proper technique/training, but it's not a non-issue either.

Performing malfunction drills, especially under any sort of stress (be it competition, training, etc), the risk of accidently knocking the safety on is real. I shoot the 92 exclusively for IDPA/USPSA. It has happened to me before at an IDPA match when I went to clear a doublefeed. Shit happens.
View Quote

Fair enough. I suppose it's user dependent.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Interesting. I have the 92FS and have been looking for a lighter EDC, this just might be it.

ETA: Do your other Beretta mage work with it? I know they're not ideal for carry, just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, my 17 and 15 rd magazines fit just fine.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you, I've never inadvertently moved the safety when operating a 92. The only people I see have trouble with it are people who grip the slide overhanded, which I never understood anyway because it obstructs your view of the chamber and increases the risk of the slide biting your palm. It also puts your fingers close to the muzzle on smaller pistols. Solution, don't grip the pistol that way.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Full size mags work fine. I saw somebody cut out a piece of an AR15 A2 grip to use as a spacer on the full size mags when using them in a compact.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks, I can defiantly post an update after I shoot it more. I'll shoot at the next USPSA match and get a better feel for it.

Yes, I used the full sized 92D spring. It's not quite as light as using the spring in a full size 92 but it's a huge improvement over the stock hammer spring.

Ironic, I want to find a captured steel guide rod for my 92A1 to add a little more weight to the front. I don't mind the extra weight when it has a favorable effect on shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

Quoted:

Just personal preference in balance. I've shot it with my full length m9a1 rod in there just a scootch lighter and doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#17]
D spring in the compact should be exactly the same (trigger pull wise) as it is in the fullsize. Everything internally is the same size... Only the lanyard loop piece is shorter on the inside of the gun.

If you are comparing it to a well used Beretta with a D spring as well, realize that the trigger will lighten up a bit more with some use. I have about 5k thru my main 92FS. But at the 3k mark, I checked it with a trigger gauge. It was about 1/2 a pound lighter in the DA pull with a D spring compared to a brand new 92 with a D spring in it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
D spring in the compact should be exactly the same (trigger pull wise) as it is in the fullsize. Everything internally is the same size... Only the lanyard loop piece is shorter on the inside of the gun.

If you are comparing it to a well used Beretta with a D spring as well, realize that the trigger will lighten up a bit more with some use. I have about 5k thru my main 92FS. But at the 3k mark, I checked it with a trigger gauge. It was about 1/2 a pound lighter in the DA pull with a D spring compared to a brand new 92 with a D spring in it.
View Quote

Makes sense, I noticed after changing it that the pull was a huge improvement but still not as good as my full sized 92. Guess I need to shoot her more.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#19]
M4A1Carbine,

What holster are you using, or which holster models have you found that work?
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
M4A1Carbine,

What holster are you using, or which holster models have you found that work?
View Quote

Mine fit in a generic 92 Vertec leather holster and my 92A1 Desantis leather holster but both will leave extra material on the end of the muzzle. Wilson combat has an OWB holster that says it will fit the railed version but it is pricy and there's no IWB option.

I'd really like to find a leather IWB 92fs compact holster that will fit the railed model.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#21]
2 of my daughters have the compacts, they love shooting them, and are good with them, will get better in time, both useing the desantis open top 92a1 holsters, they work, if i carry one i use a desantis for the vertec.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 92A1 that I love and I've been wanting a compact INOX version for awhile but I'm holding off for one with a removable front sight because night sights would be the first modification.  I love the looks of that INOX!
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had the opportunity to put about 140 rds through her at a USPSA match tonight. As would be expected, 100% reliability with no malfunctions and all brass thrown to the right and clear of the shooter. I used each of the 13rd compact magazines four times as well as 15 rd Beretta and Check mate mags, none of which had any issues even after being dropped in the dirt from previous stages. Since it has a M9A1 frame it has a nice bevel in the magazine well which aids in reloading.

The biggest down side for me were the sights, I am not liking the red dots. They are hard to pick up, I don't remember seeing the dots at all during shooting and had some issues hitting 6" steel plates. I plan on painting the rear sights in the semi circle M9 style (which is already depressed in the sight) and painting the front sight dot white so it's easier to pick up.

On the upside, the pistol shoots beautifully, feeling a lot like the full sized 92. Recoil was light and predictable, and the M9A1 checkering provides a solid grip. The trigger is smooth and breaks very clean but is still heavier than the full sized 92 with the same trigger spring. Holding them side by side, you can see the compact is about 1/2" shorter, which I believe is compressing the D spring more causing a heavier trigger pull.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice review -  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I like them, though I marginally like my M92 Compact without the light rail a little more.

If Beretta made a Compact model with replaceable sights and in "G" configuration, decock only, they'd have a lot more happy owners.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I love my 92a1 and I hope to get a 90two and an FS soon too!
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 3:59:22 AM EDT
[#27]
you know it sucks, I still haven't shot my 92c yet. it's an Italian made one from 2011.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Inox 92fs that I got back in the late 90's.

It has seen at least 15,000 to 20,000 rounds through it since it was bought new.

It was carried with the old school surefire 6volt taclight in a 6004 holster.

The night sites are dead and I have yet to change out any parts but it still shoots like the day i pulled it out of the box.

Funny I pulled it out this weekend and am going to be using it for my bedside, bump in the night gun.

I have found used compact 92's going for $650 to $800 and they had been beat up.

If I can find one in good shape I will grab it but they sell for a lot around here when you can find them
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It has seen at least 15,000 to 20,000 rounds through it since it was bought new.

The night sites are dead and I have yet to change out any parts but it still shoots like the day i pulled it out of the box.

Funny I pulled it out this weekend and am going to be using it for my bedside, bump in the night gun.

I have found used compact 92's going for $650 to $800 and they had been beat up.

If I can find one in good shape I will grab it but they sell for a lot around here when you can find them
View Quote

Picture of the gun with the light?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have to send you a pic and have you post it.

Funny i just took a pic with the phone two days ago.

Its the 6volt surefire that mounts to the gun by replacing the take down lever.

in the 90's the first and i think only gun that came with a rail was HK USP with the UTL light everything else u had to rock a surefire. I know they made surefire mounts for the Beretta, Sig and 1911 only.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok add this:
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=7&f=148&t=930500
to this:
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=7&f=148&t=856003

My Beretta is Inox and i bought the gun and light in 97 / 98 and used a 6004 thigh rig for duty for about 4 years.
Both work great still and the light has been under water a few time while fighting bad guys. Only thing  i have had to do is replace batteries.

Its old tec but still works great. In fact i just pulled the holster out of the storage
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a 96 Compact Inox from the early 2000's, and it's easily one of my favorite guns.    Doubt I will ever part with it!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top