Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2014 12:01:30 AM EDT
Is there anyone who does not use the safety engaged while carrying the 92F?

Pros or cons??

I find it completely backwards from my 1911's......
Just wondering.

Thanks in advance.
-CG
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have always treated the 92's safety as a de-cocker and not a safety. I carried with it off.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Most I know do not. They use it as a de cocker.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Sigh.  The military does.  We have a "safety culture."  Which means we don't understand how guns actually work.  : (
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't know bout you but I carried my M9 with a round in the pipe, decocked, and on fire.  Standard procedure.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:40:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't carry, but can't see the point in having the safety engage while carrying with a 9-10 pound double action pull for the first shot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:57:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The only time that thing should be on safe is when you de-cock it, then it goes back on fire. (This is perfectly safe as long as your finger stays off the trigger until your sights are on target and you intend to fire)

Test it yourself.

If you don't have a PAC timer, download an app on your phone.

THEN

With the aid of a timer to capture data shoot 2 strings:

1.Bring the pistol to a full load, decock, put weapon on fire, holser, draw and shoot

2. Decock, put weapon on safe, holster, draw, disengage safety and shoot

Your times will tell you which method is faster.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Loaded magazine inserted, round in chamber, hammer forward/de-cocked selector on fire.  Pro's:  I don't have to fumble with the safety which helps me maintain a proper grip from the holster resulting in a faster first shot all be it double action.  Con's:  Nothing comes to mind.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know bout you but I carried my M9 with a round in the pipe, decocked, and on fire.  Standard procedure.
View Quote

That was the procedure for carrying our M9s as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I'm the only oddball then.  I carried a 92 for about 5 years total on patrol, first started carrying in a level 1, thumbsnap only retention, and I always carried chamber loaded, loaded mag, safety on.  I trained and trained to make sure I always snapped that safety off when grabbing the gun from the holster and presenting for fire, but due to the level 1 retention, I felt safer having the safety on in case a gun grabber wasn't familiar with the weapon.

I then switched to the Safariland SSIII holster, which was a triple-retention (one too many experiences with people grabbing at my gun in a crowded bar or night club) and just never got away from safety-on carry.

I haven't carried the Beretta at work for over 14 years now, and my off-duty Beretta is now a G model Vertec, so safety 'on' is no longer an option.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I guess I'm the only oddball then.  I carried a 92 for about 5 years total on patrol, first started carrying in a level 1, thumbsnap only retention, and I always carried chamber loaded, loaded mag, safety on.  I trained and trained to make sure I always snapped that safety off when grabbing the gun from the holster and presenting for fire, but due to the level 1 retention, I felt safer having the safety on in case a gun grabber wasn't familiar with the weapon.

I then switched to the Safariland SSIII holster, which was a triple-retention (one too many experiences with people grabbing at my gun in a crowded bar or night club) and just never got away from safety-on carry.

I haven't carried the Beretta at work for over 14 years now, and my off-duty Beretta is now a G model Vertec, so safety 'on' is no longer an option.
View Quote

I really don't think there's a huge difference between carrying with the safety on or off when it's decocked. The slide mounted safety hate is completely overblown and I chalk it up to the general "M9s/92s are bad, I read it on the internet!" hate that the pistols receive. I can disengage the safety on my 92s pretty damn fast on the draw. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Engaging the safety is kind of awkward, i will give the haters that, but why does it matter? Rendering a pistol safe is something you do when there is no longer a threat. Who cares if it takes an extra second to do?

When I did CCW my Berettas I carried with the safety on.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too. Rifles had a mag inserted, but otherwise incapable of firing until charging handle pulled and safety switched off.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 1:16:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Does the 92f have the half cocked notch?
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree with Bedouin2W.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 2:08:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, it does.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Depends on how you train.  I've always trained and carried my issue M9 and personal 92FS on safe.  Pushed the safety off after I cleared leather.  Also carried 1911s, Coonan's and CZ75s cocked and locked at the same time without issues.  Train, train and more training.

CD
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have always treated the 92's safety as a de-cocker and not a safety. I carried with it off.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Safety off.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I as well carried/carry my issued M9 and personal 92FS on safe. On my 1911s locked and cocked just the same. I have also used mine in combat situations with no ill effect.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Carried in DA with safety off. I would only turn the safety on when I took off my weapon and left it in the holster.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Carry with the safety off and just treat it as a decocker.  That's what I did while deployed in the military, and when some idiot wanted to enforce the regulation (written by people who do not understand firearms, as another poster mentioned) I just sort of placed my hand over the holster or otherwise made it less obvious that the safety was off. Anyway, just treat the Beretta safety as a decocker.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 1:50:33 AM EDT
[#21]
So this is what I did do....used the safety only as a decocker.
Practiced, then spent 2 days training with it (Patrol Rifle taught by MCSO).
I know use it in competition.

I am a dedicated John Browning disciple....is it wrong that I like the Beretta?
Back story, I inherited it from my late uncle ...  my aunt was thrilled that I used it in training and said my uncle would've been very pleased.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#22]
My dad was LASD, and they carried safety on. I started carrying safety on, but decided to go safety off once I got comfortable with it. I still practice both draws, however, and would not hesitate to put safety on if I needed to get close to a bad guy (the safety might buy me a second if the gun as grabbed). Its nice to have options.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I only carried one while deployed.  I always carried it chambered and on-safe outside the wire, off-safe and chamber empty when on the FOB, except for one mission I went on that was commanded by an Air Force officer who insisted that they be off-safe.  Didn't bother me terribly, but that was the only time I did that.  I don't own one right now, but I'm tempted to get one.  I liked it well enough, and it's a smooth shooter.

I think that the shooter should make an informed decision, and always carry it the same way, so that there will be no cognitive dissonance should the piece ever have to be used in an emergency.  "oh, noes, is my safety on or off?"

I think either carry method with the Beretta has merit, and is safe.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 1:11:20 AM EDT
[#24]
When I was doing the mp thing I carried mine one in the pipe safety off hammer down.  The few times an nco looked under the holster flap and saw the safety off it was chalked up as an oooops.  I've always treated it as a decock only.  Yeah I'm a rule breaker when the rules get in the way of common sense and life or death.

Relying on fine motor skills to flip a safety off instead of gross motor skills in just pulling the trigger will get ya dead when your under life or death stress and fine motor skills go out the window.  Police use the handgun is more imediate self defense than anything else.

My philosophy of handgun manual safeties is they serve no purpose other than getting in the way.  I still carry a m9 as a civilian for ccw/oc its hard to beat 20+1 in the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Walking around our base or doing missions without my armor on or in civi clothes I carried my M9 in a Comp Tac IWB infidel with a mecgar 20rd magazine loaded with the safety off and on halfcock.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes, it does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it does.

The "half cock" is not designed for a method of carry. It is only a safeguard in case of mechanical failure to prevent the hammer from falling.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The "half cock" is not designed for a method of carry. It is only a safeguard in case of mechanical failure to prevent the hammer from falling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it does.

If you carry it on half cock it takes great force to move the lever into safe.  Its not going to happen by accident.  Try it.  If your worried about it moving to safe by accident just carry half cock.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you carry it on half cock it takes great force to move the lever into safe.  Its not going to happen by accident.  Try it.  If your worried about it moving to safe by accident just carry half cock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Veddy interesting.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:52:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it does.

If you carry it with safety off and de-cocked, can something hit the hammer and cause a discharge?

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you carry it with safety off and de-cocked, can something hit the hammer and cause a discharge?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it does.

No its also got a firing pin block.  The trigger has to be fully depressed for the firing pin block to rise (little block cutout in the slide ahead of the rear sight) high enough to clear the firing pin allowing it to go forward enough to strike the primer
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No its also got a firing pin block.  The trigger has to be fully depressed for the firing pin block to rise (little block cutout in the slide ahead of the rear sight) high enough to clear the firing pin allowing it to go forward enough to strike the primer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it does.

That should clear up any questions anyone should have on what is the best method for carry then.

I have read some legitimate arguments in favor of carrying de-cocked with safety on and de-cocked with safety off.

I guess its up to the individual as to how they prefer to carry.

I found this little animated drawing helpful http://www.genitron.com/Basics/beretta92/NBTour.swf

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Very handy, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:06:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:20:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Why would you use the safety on a gun with a decocker and a 75 mile long double action pull?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

First Post & All That...

It was a .GOV requirement, not really needed.  Should have purchased the 92 G model (Decocker - not a safety).

The Frenchies did it right!
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 5:16:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I see no real reason to carry with round in chamber and safety ON, for the simple reason it's the same as carrying a revolver and it's drop-safe due to the firing pin block safety.  The only reasons might be if someone is a gun-grabber, it might delay them in firing the weapon, or to prevent effects of inadvertent trigger pull when firearm is entering or exiting holster.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  Why would you use the safety on a gun with a decocker and a 75 mile long double action pull?
View Quote

Because the organization that thought the safety on a decocking gun w/ a 75 mile long double action trigger pull was a good idea in the first place tells you you have to?
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#39]
There's no need to use the safety.  Treat is as a decocker or better yet get a G model
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 4:35:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There's no need to use the safety.  Treat is as a decocker or better yet get a G model
View Quote

The safety is there for a reason, so I say use it- not for carry, but to cycle the first round, clear the weapon, and field strip- it's literally 'fool-proof' to use the safety for those functions- and eliminates entirely the possibility of a ND when doing so.

Anyone who cycles that first round in chamber in their home, car, or anywhere but downrange and at the range with safety OFF is literally a fool.

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 4:43:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it does.

That is an interesting point.  Of course, that eliminates the longer DA pull.  

Frankly, I do not understand why it is not recommended with this firearm.  Perhaps someone in the know can chime in.

Perhaps it may, over time, lessen the 'hammer drop catch' safety feature that it boasts.

Update:  The manual does state hammer should not be carried on half-cock to prevent 'hammer spur impact damage'.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The safety is there for a reason, so I say use it- not for carry, but to cycle the first round, clear the weapon, and field strip- it's literally 'fool-proof' to use the safety for those functions- and eliminates entirely the possibility of a ND when doing so.

Anyone who cycles that first round in chamber in their home, car, or anywhere but downrange and at the range with safety OFF is literally a fool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, if you're following the rules this shouldn't be an issue regardless of the manual safety.  However, plenty of us cycle a round into the chamber on weapons that don't have manual safeties all the time.  Are we fools as well?

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Not if such a safety mechanism is non-existent.

Thanks for the rhetorical question!
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not if such a safety mechanism is non-existent.

Thanks for the rhetorical question!
View Quote

Then it's not unsafe if the lever does exist either....
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't  understand your reasoning.

Simply stated, it is a 'sin' not to use the supplied safety when it is available for the functions mentioned.  

The Beretta M9 is a much safer firearm than the 1911, no doubt about it!  That's probably one of the reasons the old 1911 was booted out on its a** as LESS SAFE than the Beretta.  It's much easier to get into trouble with a 1911, just ask old 'Tex' on YT.

But little doubt I am preaching to the choir.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Simply stated, it is a 'sin' not to use the supplied safety when it is available for the functions mentioned.  

The Beretta M9 is a much safer firearm than the 1911, no doubt about it!  That's probably one of the reasons the old 1911 was booted out on its a** as LESS SAFE than the Beretta.  It's much easier to get into trouble with a 1911, just ask old 'Tex' on YT.

View Quote

Um. Not sure about that. The 1911 is plenty safe.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah...

So it's a "sin".  But it's not unsafe, because otherwise all the many handguns that omit that safety would be unsafe...  

The 1911 is not less safe than the M9.  It just has less moving parts and is simpler and easier to use, though it's not my preferred handgun.

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I really don't think there's a huge difference between carrying with the safety on or off when it's decocked. The slide mounted safety hate is completely overblown and I chalk it up to the general "M9s/92s are bad, I read it on the internet!" hate that the pistols receive. I can disengage the safety on my 92s pretty damn fast on the draw. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Engaging the safety is kind of awkward, i will give the haters that, but why does it matter? Rendering a pistol safe is something you do when there is no longer a threat. Who cares if it takes an extra second to do?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue I have with the frame mounted safety is that it affects how I handle the weapon. While there's obvious training issues, I just can't manipulate the slide like I do with other guns I'm more used to (M&Ps, 1911, and SIGs). I've run the slide only to find I've safed it.

As for carry? Because most of my experience actually shooting the M9 is limited to EIC matches (and training for EIC matches) I elect to carry it safe just for repeatability due to rules. When it comes to handguns I much prefer to have safety-less guns and a quality holster that covers the trigger. With my personal M9, due to the light setup, I'll be carrying it with the safety on mainly because of how exposed the trigger is, even in the holster.

All that said, I don't see decocked, safety off as an un-safe method of carry. Having a lot of time on SIGs and striker guns makes me more comfortable without a safety than with one. A holster is BY FAR the best mechanical safety available for a handgun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Safety Off.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Safety Off.
View Quote
Me too.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top