Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2012 8:40:44 AM EDT
While shopping for the parts needed to fix up a pile of PD trade in 92s, I noticed Brownell's has a parts listing for the Combat & Stock models.

My idea for the perfect Beretta 92 model is a Single-Action-Only Centurion.  But with Beretta abandoning the Centurions and full size SAOs models being specialty offerings; I figured it would never happen.  However, with the Combat parts available, would it be possible to start with a 92D Centurion, add a pile of Combat pieces, and have my dream 92 variant?

It won't be cheap, ~$200 for the safety levers and sear and other C/S specific parts.  I have never seen a Combat/Stock/Steel in person, let alone had them apart to see the differences, if any, in the frames.  Any body know for sure?

Link Posted: 5/2/2012 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I seriously doubt the frames between a DA/SA and SAO 92 are identical, and I can promise that the slides are different.

That said, surplus 92s are cheap enough that I'd consider filing on one if it were otherwise possible.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I seriously doubt the frames between a DA/SA and SAO 92 are identical, and I can promise that the slides are different.

That said, surplus 92s are cheap enough that I'd consider filing on one if it were otherwise possible.

I know the DA/SA slides are different, they have safety levers which the Combat models obviously would not, with the frame mounted safety.

That is why I am thinking a of D model for the base gun.  The Combat and Stock have slick slides, some what like the Ds.  I can see safety lock notch similar to a 1911 in the slide, which would be no problem to cut in.  With the FCG entirely in the frame the D model is the most similar to the C/S models.  

I would have thought the frames were very different as well but the parts schematic, which is some what detailed, does not show extra holes.  Which is what has got me thinking it might be possible.  I don't fear grinding on a LEO surplus 92D, if it will make the parts fit correctly.  I don't want to get invested into several hundred dollars worth of pistol and parts to find the hammer pin is in a completely different location than the FS/G/D models.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Go ask at the beretta forum. There is a guy there turning a vertec frame into a SAO model with a 92. But,he is doing a LOT of work to it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go ask at the beretta forum. There is a guy there turning a vertec frame into a SAO model with a 92. But,he is doing a LOT of work to it.

Thank you!  Is this the thread you are referring to?  There is some obvious work around the hammer pin hole.  However, the majority of the work described is grip and frame alterations which are not directly related to the frame safety mod.

Thanks again for the reference.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
While shopping for the parts needed to fix up a pile of PD trade in 92s, I noticed Brownell's has a parts listing for the Combat & Stock models.

My idea for the perfect Beretta 92 model is a Single-Action-Only Centurion.  But with Beretta abandoning the Centurions and full size SAOs models being specialty offerings; I figured it would never happen.  However, with the Combat parts available, would it be possible to start with a 92D Centurion, add a pile of Combat pieces, and have my dream 92 variant?

It won't be cheap, ~$200 for the safety levers and sear and other C/S specific parts.  I have never seen a Combat/Stock/Steel in person, let alone had them apart to see the differences, if any, in the frames.  Any body know for sure?

Yes, this is possible.  I have 3 with a fourth at the gunsmith now.  See this thread:  Frame Safety Mod thread.  These conversions are made from measurements and tooling created using a 96 Stock and a 96 Steel for models.

My avatar shows the first one converted––a 92D Centurion.  It now has all black parts.  The conversion was done by a professional (non-WECSOG) gunsmith.  All of mine are single action only because the trigger is much better with the over/under-travel adjustment screws that go with the SAO.

Since you specifically asked about a SAO Centurion, I will tell you mine shoots like a dream.

IM me if you have any questions.  I have the grocery list for parts (depends on donor frame).

Marshall

Edit for NOTE:  I am not performing this work and am not offering to sell anything; however,  I do know the gunsmith that does the work.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The basic frames start as the same on slide safety, DAO, and frame safetied Stock/Combat.  The DAO frame has the sear pin hole drilled, even though there is no sear.  The frame safetied pistols have modifications to the frame around the hammer pin hole.  The Stock and Combat have checkered front and backstraps instead of the standard serrated on the other frames.  The Billennium and Steel do not have the same frame as the others because both of these are steel frames.  The SAO frames also have trigger over/undertravel adjustment screws in the frame behind the trigger that are accessed from the top of the magwell.  

The slides are obviously different, as well as the firing pin.  These pistols do maintain the firing pin block (rectangle that "pops up" from the top of the slide when trigger is pulled) and the slide retainer (the "S" in "FS" that prevents a broken slide from coming off the back of the frame).
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!  Is this the thread you are referring to?  There is some obvious work around the hammer pin hole.  However, the majority of the work described is grip and frame alterations which are not directly related to the frame safety mod.

Thanks again for the reference.

Yes, that is the one
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And here is the guy that was getting this done about 2 years earlier.  Frame safety and single action only (the OPs request)?  Yep, been there and done that three times so far. I am happy enough with these that I sold a 96 Steel, 96 Stock, and Billennium.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, this is possible.  I have 3 with a fourth at the gunsmith now.  See this thread:  Frame Safety Mod thread.  These conversions are made from measurements and tooling created using a 96 Stock and a 96 Steel for models.

My avatar shows the first one converted––a 92D Centurion.  It now has all black parts.  The conversion was done by a professional (non-WECSOG) gunsmith.  All of mine are single action only because the trigger is much better with the over/under-travel adjustment screws that go with the SAO.

Since you specifically asked about a SAO Centurion, I will tell you mine shoots like a dream.

IM me if you have any questions.  I have the grocery list for parts (depends on donor frame).

Marshall

Edit for NOTE:  I am not performing this work and am not offering to sell anything; however,  I do know the gunsmith that does the work.

Your SAO Centurion is exactly what I have in mind, other than a threaded barrel.  I knew it would be a good looking pistol.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Might I ask how much you have into converting into the SAO?

I have a 96d Centurion that I've wanted to change up for years but have never done anything with it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Might I ask how much you have into converting into the SAO?

I have a 96d Centurion that I've wanted to change up for years but have never done anything with it.

Parts and labor would likely run between $500 and $600 at current prices.  These guns haven't been produced for US sale in several years and parts are not particularly common.  I have a customized Beretta 92 (see my posts on Beretta Forum under same username) that combines a Billennium and Stock for less than I sold a Billennium for.  You'd probably have under $1000 in a custom Beretta (maybe much less––I've seen D series pistols go as low as $200).
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a SAO Beretta 92.  I've tried to like it cause it is damn sexy but I just can't seem to make it grow on me.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've got a SAO Beretta 92.  I've tried to like it cause it is damn sexy but I just can't seem to make it grow on me.  

http://vmedia.rivals.com/UserMedia/FanPagesPhoto/Gallery/599/O279243.jpg

That's a nice looking gun. Is it a 92 Steel?  With a WAL (Beretta Forum member) barrel bushing?  Very nice.

He was the one that got me headed down this road.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a nice looking gun. Is it a 92 Steel?  With a WAL (Beretta Forum member) barrel bushing?  Very nice.

It is a 92 Steel I, and that pick does show it with an Inox barrel that WAL hand fit a conical bushing.  The whole thing feels like it is on ball bearings but I could never get used to the grip (at least without the Houge Hand All)  It is OK with the Houge but it will obviously never be one of my favorites.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a 92 Steel I, and that pick does show it with an Inox barrel that WAL hand fit a conical bushing.  The whole thing feels like it is on ball bearings but I could never get used to the grip (at least without the Houge Hand All)  It is OK with the Houge but it will obviously never be one of my favorites.  

I'll send you $50 and a call tag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top