Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2017 5:28:57 PM EDT
At this point in time I have 6,150 rounds through my P226 SAO Legion and have never had a malfunction.  I’ve never had a gun, including the Glock’s I’ve owned, go that long without multiple malfunctions.  Over the next couple of months I’ll be shooting more than I ever have in preparation for a 6 day class at CSAT (Combat Shooting And Tactics), so it seemed like a good time for a reliability challenge.

I just finished giving my P226 a nice deep clean and it’s ready for action.  Covering the rails is Super Lube Synthetic Grease, a PTFE lubricant.  Everywhere else has Shooter’s Choice FP-10 oil.  From this point forward it will not be cleaned and receive no more grease or oil.

The ammo used will consist of Aguila, American Eagle, Browning, and Federal.

The challenge stops when the malfunctions start.  Along the way I’ll give periodic updates.  How many rounds do you think it will take?

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it will go around 1256 rounds from here before it is too gummed up to continue on.
I think your putting excessive wear on it by trying this challenge without cleaning and lube but hey,
I aint your momma, Go for it!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to note, the recoil spring was replaced when I cleaned it today.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you testing the gun or testing the once applied lubricant?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you testing the gun or testing the once applied lubricant?
View Quote
The gun.  I just named the lubricants for those who are interested in such things.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#6]
8787 rounds
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a P226 I got back in 1988 and it has about 20,000 round through it.

In all that time it has never had any parts changed and there was only 1 malfunction.

My ex wife (but wife at the time) was using it in a shooting match and had the gun pressed up against a door way.  On each shot, the groves on the back of the slide took a small bit of wood off the door way until she pressed the gun so hard against the door that the slide didn't go all the way forward.  That was the lone "malfunction".

When she removed the gun from the door, the slide closed and the gun was back in action.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]
The first 250 went down the barrel this morning.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
How many drop test will be performed?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think it will go around 1256 rounds from here before it is too gummed up to continue on.
I think your putting excessive wear on it by trying this challenge without cleaning and lube but hey,
I aint your momma, Go for it!
View Quote
LOL doubt it.  I've fired that many and nothing happened other than it was dirty.

Mine has malfunctioned with reloads and frankenmags but never with factory mags and factory ammo.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Should go a long time.

The longest for me that I kept track of was a Canadian born Para P14-45.

The first mag through the gun I had one failure, I chalk that up to break in.

Malf 2&3 were mag spring related in one factory mag at about 2000 in, and malf 4 was the same, about the same count. Those springs were already showing weakness, and I had the Wolff springs already. After replacing the Wolff springs, there were no more mag related malfs.

I had also ordered a new recoil spring from Wolff at the same time, and decided to see how long the oem spring would go. It went about 500 more rounds and I had malf 5 due to that. I was at the range when it happened, and replaced the spring there, and put another 150 or so rounds through it.

The gun then went from 2500rds to 12,500rds without any other failure, so basically 10,000+ , all but a few boxes were hand loads, of every weight and type imaginable in the 185-230gr lead, plated, fmj, and xtp types. The gun was cleaned every few thousand and the spring replacement schedule was followed.

I sold it and bought a cheap RIA single stack in 2011, and it had two malfs in the first factory mag, since then it's not had any malfs of any kind, having gone through the same ammo types as the Para. It's got around 4,000rds on it, fed by Chip McCormick mags as primaries, and factories as backups. I clean it about every 500 to 1000 rounds.

Both hand guns were lubed with a mix of Mobile 1 synthetic oil and enough synthetic atf Dextron / Mercron to turn it reddish. I've tried slip EWL and others, but nothing worked nearly as well.

That Sig should exceed those guns easily.

The little RIA is going to a new home this week, and I'm adopting a H&K P30L, and also one for my son. That old Para is still going strong too, or was last I heard.

I think any modern gun should do well though there are obvious models to stay away from and the occasional lemon.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Go for it!!!! Keep us posted, this is interesting stuff.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Going to that try getting some dirt and water on/in it or this strictly round count? Not trolling but I'm curious about environmental factors. After watching a video about some minimal environmental factors and malfunctions.....I'm curious of what people have found.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Going to that try getting some dirt and water on/in it or this strictly round count? Not trolling but I'm curious about environmental factors. After watching a video about some minimal environmental factors and malfunctions.....I'm curious of what people have found.
View Quote
More round count based.  Sticking them in mud and dirt has been pretty well documented.  I'm trying to limit the factors to the gun and normal use.  Part of that for example is my mag springs are starting to get light so I'll be replacing them soon.  If I encounter malfunctions I want to make sure it isn't related to weak springs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I think the rails will be damaged by the time the failures start,
I'm thinking around  3000 rounds
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think the rails will be damaged by the time the failures start,
I'm thinking around  3000 rounds
View Quote
Damaged how? Galling, broken, or do you just mean wearing through do.e of the anodizing. Because the latter isn't necessarily damage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are you seeing how long it will run without being lubricated? I wouldn't do that with a metal frame sig
View Quote
That was addressed in the 1,000 round update.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:33:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Cool thread. Thanks for sharing, OP.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#24]
So when are you throwing the pistol in water, sand, dirt, then mud?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I have 2 P226 pistols and neither are as nice as yours.  I would call it a day and not risk damaging it as those are not cheap.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So when are you throwing the pistol in water, sand, dirt, then mud?  
View Quote
If that were to ever happen it wouldn't be on purpose and I'd probably be having a really bad day.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Galling
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Galling
View Quote
Pickle
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Agree with this. Post some of those pics here!
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks for doing this!

You should post some of those awesome pix here and liven this thread up a bit.
View Quote
My pleasure, sir.

After Photobucket screwed everyone I haven't setup a new service yet and since nearly every forum handles pictures differently it was easiest to post links.  I'll setup a new service and throw in some from the next update.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I suppose the recoil spring sacking out could cause premature wear?
View Quote
Spring maintenance continues on schedule.  It got a new recoil spring when the test started and will get a new one at 5,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#36]
My OCD wouldn't let me go to sleep at night if I had something that dirty in the house and didn't clean it
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hope you don't mind, here's a few from your 3000 update...
View Quote
Don't mind at all, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Any updates OP?
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#39]
FWIW - I have a 226 that is about 4 1/2 years old, with over 12,000 rounds through it.
The only real problem I've had with it is the locking insert broke. Called SIG, got a replacement and its still running fine.
I do clean and lube every 500 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Any updates OP?
View Quote
Soon.  Had a week long shooting class then got back and had to move.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Spring maintenance continues on schedule.  It got a new recoil spring when the test started and will get a new one at 5,000 rounds.
View Quote
Dont know if you've been to the armorer's class or not, but Sig's part replacement schedule is as follows:

Recoil Spring                        - 5k rounds
Decocking lever spring          - 10k rounds
Slide Catch Lever & Spring    - 10K rounds
Trigger Bar Spring                - 10k rounds
Extractor & Extractor Spring  - 20k rounds
Firing pin & Firing Pin Spring - 20k rounds
Safety lock spring                - 20k rounds
Take down lever                  - 20k rounds
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dont know if you've been to the armorer's class or not, but Sig's part replacement schedule is as follows:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing. Why would The take down lever ever need to be replaced? It's not a stressed part.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I havent the slightest idea to be honest with you. But that's what the Armorer's Manual states and Sig requires.

The take down lever is what holds the locking block in place, so I guess it gets some stress.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Can the locking insert be replaced?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, but why?
It's stronger than the frame of the gun. I mean if you lost it after doing a full frame breakdown for cleaning, sure. But I cant think of a reason you'd need to that wouldnt also involve purchasing a new gun.

I'm just an armorer, not an engineer, so there may be valid reasons to replace it, but I cant think of them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yes, but why?
It's stronger than the frame of the gun. I mean if you lost it after doing a full frame breakdown for cleaning, sure. But I cant think of a reason you'd need to that wouldnt also involve purchasing a new gun.

I'm just an armorer, not an engineer, so there may be valid reasons to replace it, but I cant think of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, but why?

The one in my 226 broke around the 9000 round mark. Don't know why as I replace the recoil spring around 5000 rounds. Got a replacement from SIG and have out another 3000 rounds through the gun with no problems.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
 Next time you will get an account warning for trolling
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many drop test will be performed?
 Next time you will get an account warning for trolling
I know he was trying to make a joke but my old 226 has been drop tested. Hot summer day and I slipped coming around a barricade, banged the gun against the barricade as I went down and it went clattering out of my sweaty hand onto the ground in front of me.  Gun did what it was supposed to, no bang, just dirty.  I had been doing well up to that point but got DQ'd.  It happens.  

And yeah, my OCD wouldn't let me run a gun that dirty.    I bought it NIB in the 80s and I think it has somewhere around 10,000 rounds through it; I've never changed anything in it including the recoil spring, still runs fine.  I've got replacement springs waiting for it but it's like the Energizer bunny, it just keeps going.  I take that back, I lost a grip screw at a match and had to replace it.  I finished that match with a piece of cloth tape around the grip.  I've also got a Sig factory threaded barrel that's boringly reliable as well.  It's still my favorite handgun.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I havent the slightest idea to be honest with you. But that's what the Armorer's Manual states and Sig requires.

The take down lever is what holds the locking block in place, so I guess it gets some stress.
View Quote
Thanks. I'll add it to my schedule.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top