Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2017 10:16:03 AM EDT
Morning,

Seen a New P228 in a local store last night. Wondering if the "new" can be assumed to be the 229 frame. I understand the 228 was discontinued and was surprised to see one on the shelf. I don't have pics yet just wondering your thoughts, generally speaking.

Planning to stop by again today after work for a close up. Thoughts are appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I got an "old" W. German P228 and I have a Made in USA P229 (before the dash 1 magazines).

As far as I'm concerned.......it's no big deal between the two.  OK, the P229 has a rail and could become a .40 cal S&W if I wanted.  LOL.  I don't use the rail and have no plans for a .40 S&W.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I was just surprised to see a 228 on the shelf as new. Doesn't bother me either way however it would temp me a little more if it was a "complete" 228. Still planning on checking it out soon.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a "new" model P228. It uses the old 9mm P229 frame; which is far as I can tell, is just a P228 US made frame. Accepts regular P228 magazines.

I changed out the trigger and take down lever with original ones. Came with the slim trigger and current TD lever.

Made in 2014. It's honestly a lot more interesting to me than an original P228, due to its uniqueness. The slide rollmark is also done in SIG's current style, instead of the old way.

Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Could be new-old stock.  In other words, sitting on a shelf in the back and they forgot about it.  

I've seen a lot of LGS mis-label pistols, so it also could be a M11-A1 that had "P228" on the grips, when it really is a P229.

I suppose its also possible it was pre-owned, but never fired.  Someone bought and it just sat in the safe until they decided to trade in on something else.  Though I'd kinda expect that to be labelled "used" even if never fired.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#5]
So to provide closure, the pistol was a M11.  The sales tag said P228.  Very nice pistol but not in a rush to purchase it. I would have bought it if it was a legitimate 228 though.  Thanks for the pictures and feedback.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I own both.  I bought the W. German P228 back in 1993 and my only regret is that I did not buy more than one.  It was my carry gun for many years and never a single failure.  Not one.

I bought an M11-A1 some time ago, which admittedly is a P229 with no rail, a number of nice options, and wearing P228 grips.  Whatever.  It rocks.  The trigger is better than my KD P228.  I love it.

I'm not a gun hipster.  I'll never give up my P228 because it was the first pistol I ever bought, but the M11-A1 is a damn fine pistol.  

The two of them, with their P series little brother:

Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#7]
@scuba

Very nice pics. I'm torn. Don't really need a new one but the 229 / M11 is on my short list. They have an alledged police trade-in, with no box and 1 mag, for 430 DAO. I like the feel of it but I'm very hesitant.

The serial is AL 64xxx. Any thoughts on the DAO? I have two da/sa pistols so not sure if chancing it for $4ish or getting a new one.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@scuba

Very nice pics. I'm torn. Don't really need a new one but the 229 / M11 is on my short list. They have an alledged police trade-in, with no box and 1 mag, for 430 DAO. I like the feel of it but I'm very hesitant.

The serial is AL 64xxx. Any thoughts on the DAO? I have two da/sa pistols so not sure if chancing it for $4ish or getting a new one.
View Quote
I'm a huge fan of DA/SA, especially when it has Sig's high-quality confidence-inspiring decocker.  Yeah, the first round when uncocked is tough, but the SA is amazing...and I have always really liked having the DA as my safety.  It's no accident the internet isn't full of folks who have shot themselves in the leg with their P series Sig.  

Wouldn't be as quick to jump on a DAO.  Some folks prefer the consistent pull, but I would miss that sweet SA.

Of course, I own two P320s, so there is that.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm a huge fan of DA/SA, especially when it has Sig's high-quality confidence-inspiring decocker.  Yeah, the first round when uncocked is tough, but the SA is amazing...and I have always really liked having the DA as my safety.  It's no accident the internet isn't full of folks who have shot themselves in the leg with their P series Sig.  

Wouldn't be as quick to jump on a DAO.  Some folks prefer the consistent pull, but I would miss that sweet SA.

Of course, I own two P320s, so there is that.
View Quote
I hear you. I have da/sa HKs and glocks as well. Sigs appeal to me is their da/sa trigger. My experience is, it is slightly better then the HKP30. I'm a fan of the decocker and no safety as well. Decisions...  I need to save more and get a new one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top