Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2016 3:41:11 PM EDT
I've been putting a few assorted spare parts kits together for my two P226s (mk25 and a Legion 9mm DA/SA) and I'm going to grab a spare extractor or two for each kit. Sucks that they use different extractors, but hey, they're both great guns regardless. Gonna grab the associated springs and pins also.

Have any of you ever worn out or broken a long or short external Sig extractor? If so, details please.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've worn out extractors, but I probably shoot my guns more than most...
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The Mk25 sees about 4-5k rounds a year, and the Legion is fairly new.

What's your pistol and approximate round count? Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Mk25 with ~35k on it.  Almost ready for a second "rebuild", per our maintenance schedule.  Legion 226 SAO with ~10k.

Every 20k should be Extractor and extractor spring, Firing pin and firing pin spring, safety lock spring, takedown lever

Every 10k should be decocker lever spring, slide catch and spring, trigger bar spring.

ETA:  I have a P320F in 9mm that has ~18k.  I don't intend to do anything to it until it stops running.  We have instructors at the SIG Academy who have 10's of thousands through several different platforms.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have a Mk25 with ~35k on it.  Almost ready for a second "rebuild", per our maintenance schedule.  Legion 226 SAO with ~10k.

Every 20k should be Extractor and extractor spring, Firing pin and firing pin spring, safety lock spring, takedown lever

Every 10k should be decocker lever spring, slide catch and spring, trigger bar spring.

ETA:  I have a P320F in 9mm that has ~18k.  I don't intend to do anything to it until it stops running.  We have instructors at the SIG Academy who have 10's of thousands through several different platforms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I'v seen a number of them break over the years. I'd say most of the guns had well over 10k rounds. I can only think of one that was defective and snapped under a couple of thousand.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had issues with the stock style extractor in the 226 that was used in the late 00's and I think might still be used today.  I've never had any jam issues associated with the more classic style extractor that's in the MK25 and west german versions.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I was an agency armorer for a Fed agency that shot 229's in 357 sig.

My field office had about 400 guns. The average guy shot about 1500 a year, the shooters were doing probably closer to 6 or 7k a year. Out of all those guns, we saw 2 or 3 broken extractors a year.

For a cheap insurance piece, I would pick one up to throw in a parts kit. The short extractors take 3 seconds and a small screwdriver to swap out. the long ones are a little more work, but still under two minutes with the correct pin punch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top