Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2016 10:57:47 AM EDT

A friend of mine inherited an early P226 from an in-law.  It's not his favorite, so he's looking to sell it on and asked me for some valuation assistance.

It's a 1986 (JG code) "Made in W. Germany" model with three factory dovetailed back 15- round magazines and one early phosphate 20-round magazine.  My understanding is that it was primarily an occasional carry piece.  It shows some holster wear on the slide.  The frame looks almost new with minimal wear.  It also comes with the original box, manuals and test target although those weren't stored properly and there's some mildewing.

Some pictures to try and give an idea for condition.

Any estimates for fair asking price?

DSC_5484 by depercy, on Flickr

DSC_5485 by depercy, on Flickr

DSC_5487 by depercy, on Flickr

DSC_5488 by depercy, on Flickr

DSC_5489 by depercy, on Flickr

DSC_5492 by depercy, on Flickr

DSC_5496 by depercy, on Flickr

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking for a pure shooter, you can get into a used 226 for around 450 right now, depending on the options you want.  But that's an excellent example of an older P226 and I've seen them sell for as much as 650.  If he just wants to get rid of it, probably around 500-550, if he's willing to take some time and sell it to a Sig fan he could probably get 650-700.

Wide range, I know, but it's all about who is looking for what.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The mud rails or scalloped rails are interesting, most p226's of that era are a Tyson Corner import.
Whether or not the scalloped rails can be an issue has been speculated upon over the years, google/ Sig Forum has all sorts of information on that.
From a collectors point of view that could add value, as a practical shooter it may detract.  To a collector I'd guess $600- $650 would be in the ballpark.
ETA  sp. and to add it's a good looking pistol

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The mud rails or scalloped rails are interesting, most p226's of that era are a Tyson Corner import.

Whether or not the scalloped rails can be an issue has been speculated upon over the years, google/ Sig Forum has all sorts of information on that.

From a collectors point of view that could add value, as a practical shooter it may detract.  To a collector I'd guess $600- $650 would be in the ballpark.

ETA  sp. and to add it's a good looking pistol

View Quote

Marked SIGARMS INC Tysons Corner VA on the slide.

The scalloped rails were a surprise to me.  I had never seen those before.  Must research.  I don't know how much "collectability" there is in an 80's era Sig.  But to each their own.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The mud rails will take away from the value. But having said that, since you have the box and test target plus the gun itself looks to be in very good condition, I'd say you could get $650 or maybe $680 in my area. Gun should last a long time shooting only 115gr fmj loads. Those rail don't lend themselves well to the warmer stuff
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]
For comparison sake I easily sold a 2008 railed base 226 for $650.  I'd think a West German one would also bring around that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 2:07:05 AM EDT
[#7]
If it were mine I wouldn't let it go for less than $650. The mud scallops are a negative for a shooter but the craftsmanship that West German SIGs were famous for is still there so it is certainly a very nice piece for a collector.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
stopped in my local GS today and they have a West German 226 which appears New with 3 zipperback mags , box, target ect. Its on consignment for $800 and has been for 4 months with nary a sniff...
View Quote

Normal for a West German SIG. People who value and appreciate the older SIGs are few and far between so most folks just see an old, boring gun with no rail and a high price tag.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd say $450 to a non collector as the scalloped rails take away some value. To a collector id say around $650 or so. The original target, box etc is a big plus. A collector may like the scalloped rails just because they were only produced for 2 years I believe.

I just bought a 87 model without the scalloped rails for $500 no box, target, etc.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd say $450 to a non collector as the scalloped rails take away some value. To a collector id say around $650 or so. The original target, box etc is a big plus. A collector may like the scalloped rails just because they were only produced for 2 years I believe.

I just bought a 87 model without the scalloped rails for $500 no box, target, etc.
View Quote

Being a big 226 fan and I too have never seen nor heard of the scalloped rails.

How does this take away from the value?  Was it done by the Tysons Corner shop or was it factory?  Seems this being a rarity would add to value.

Just curious.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#13]
The mud rails are definite negative, and given the unavailability of parts for stamped slides, I'd say its worth $500.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How does this take away from the value?  Was it done by the Tysons Corner shop or was it factory?  Seems this being a rarity would add to value.

Just curious.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

I believe the serial range for the mud rails are 137,xxx-157,xxx. There's a reason why only 20k were made. Cracked frames is one of them
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:58:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just curious.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.

The scalloped "mud" rails weakened the frame and made it prone to cracking so the life expectancy of the frame was significantly shortened.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I believe the serial range for the mud rails are 137,xxx-157,xxx. There's a reason why only 20k were made. Cracked frames is one of them
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious.

This one is outside that range.  (134xxx)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top