Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2016 10:31:03 PM EDT
I'm trying to figure out which P226 I should get next.  I currently have one, an X-six, and love it more than any firearm I own.  I would like to get another P226 9mm as a nightstand gun that will travel with me occasionally.  (Not so much CCW, I have a P238 i use there).  

I'm torn between the Legion, Elite Stainless, and MK25RX.

The legion looks like the best for ergonomics, has that SRT and tough coating. With the Xray sights i think it would be a great all around Choice.
However, the RX with that optic seems like a revolutionary upgrade in effectiveness, but im unsure about the trigger.
The Elite is a great gun with the SRT, stainless finish, and a handsome look to go with it.

An RX Legion would seal the deal, but I don't think that is coming anytime soon?  

What is a man To do?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Never shot the Legion one yet the ones I used to have and shoot were all LEO ones. Shot true and recoil was nothing. Just my experience for owning an 90's LEO version and shooting my dad's the he bought when he retired DPS here in Texas. Although he still will not let me shoot his .357 sig 228 I think. Just will not let me touch it. No clue why.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm super happy with my Legion, but if you're looking for a nightstand gun, I'd also give consideration to the P226 Tac Ops. Can't go wrong with 20 rounds of 9mm at the ready.

IIRC there's also a threaded barrel variant, so you could suppress it out of the box.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:39:08 AM EDT
[#3]
The only thing stopping me from getting a 226 Legion is that I just saw one go for barely over $1,000 on GB...and I'm waiting for another chance; most are going for >$1,150.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 3:15:00 AM EDT
[#4]
(The best) One made in W. Germany.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#5]
You can buy 20 round mags that fit any of those.  I have Sig TACOPS in both .45 and 9mm, both with threaded barrels, both have Osprey suppressors assigned to them, both are my home defense pistols.  I also have the MK25, a Blackwater edition, and a West German made 226.  I love them all equally like children, but the SRT is really nice in my TACOPS, as well as the TRUGLO fiber optic sight.  With the trigger and sights being a couple of the most differing functional parts of these pistols, I'd lean towards the Legion, but any are good choices.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are going to do a Legion get SAO.  The Elites are very nice that is what I have myself but I want to add a Legion SAO.  The SRT that comes in the Elite is a nice trigger but it is not a SAO trigger by any means the SAO is pure sex!
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are going to do a Legion get SAO.  The Elites are very nice that is what I have myself but I want to add a Legion SAO.  The SRT that comes in the Elite is a nice trigger but it is not a SAO trigger by any means the SAO is pure sex!
View Quote

Or so I've heard.

I'll have to try one the next time I'm home on leave.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Or so I've heard.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or so I've heard.

My LGS they disappear before I can even buy one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have never owned a pistol with a decocker, so im not sure if the DA/SA action is important to me. My X-six is SAO and it is the best trigger for me ever. So that is a great point for the Legion with the SAO.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can buy 20 round mags that fit any of those.  I have Sig TACOPS in both .45 and 9mm, both with threaded barrels, both have Osprey suppressors assigned to them, both are my home defense pistols.  I also have the MK25, a Blackwater edition, and a West German made 226.  I love them all equally like children, but the SRT is really nice in my TACOPS, as well as the TRUGLO fiber optic sight.  With the trigger and sights being a couple of the most differing functional parts of these pistols, I'd lean towards the Legion, but any are good choices.
View Quote

Thats good to know.  The 20rd mags wont fit my X-six, (the base is too wide for the magwell) just the 19rdsers that are tough to find, and run $100 a pop.  But i have a stack of those and im sure they will work with any other P226.

I hadnt considered a West Gernan model, food for thought.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I would just buy a nice used 226R. Prices are around $600.00 for ones in excellent shape in 9mm and much cheaper for ones in 40 S&W. I have seen many in my area go for that and they have everything you need and nothing you don't. You can mount a light on it which is a plus for me if using it as a home defense weapon. Some people don't care the railed models but they make them because everyone has their own idea of what is needed. If you do buy a used one, just buy a couple of replacement springs-recoil and trigger bar spring. I often buy used firearms in excellent shape, as I will let someone else take the hit of buying new.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Legion SAO FTW
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Legion SAO FTW
View Quote

/close topic.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:20:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

/close topic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Legion SAO FTW

/close topic.

Do it.  You will probably like it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my SAO Legion, its possibly everything I've always wanted in a 226 which is my favorite platform. The trigger may be better than some 1911s and  the reset is ridiculous. If you can pick one up for the Mil/Le price do it and dont look back. You can always add an RMR or threaded barrel. I added an RMR to my X5 and Im never sure if I ruined it or not. It works great and I've made hits into rifle range but theres alot going on up there. Just my 2 cents.  Otherwise its a Sig and unless you get a lemon your kids kids should be able to use it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#17]
That Legion SAO is grewing on me to be my favorite of the lot.

I wish I knew if or when an RX version might come out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That Legion SAO is grewing on me to be my favorite of the lot.

I wish I knew if or when an RX version might come out.
View Quote

If you simply must have a red dot I'd say get it milled or wait awhile for rx conversion slides if you don't want to mill the original.

I highly doubt there will be rx legion series.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#19]
You could mill or see if they offer rx slides / conversion uppers and simply slide swap on a legion SAO frame.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a DA/SA Legion 226, I like it.

A couple buddies waited for the SAO models.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I like my SAO.

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#22]
As said, the original stamped slide W German model.  I have had one for almost 23 years.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Never shot the Legion one yet the ones I used to have and shoot were all LEO ones. Shot true and recoil was nothing. Just my experience for owning an 90's LEO version and shooting my dad's the he bought when he retired DPS here in Texas. Although he still will not let me shoot his .357 sig 228 I think. Just will not let me touch it. No clue why.
View Quote

A P228 in .357 Sig?
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A P228 in .357 Sig?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A P228 in .357 Sig?

P229 maybe but no such thing as a P228 in anything other than 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A P228 in .357 Sig?

That's' what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#26]
As to OPs question, there will be a P226 for sale here because some guy thought his Glock is better.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1884401_Selling_my_p226_to_buy_a_glock_17_.html&light=p226

Take it off his hands.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#27]
It's not unheard of to have an alloy SIG frame end its service life after 50k rounds.
My Great Grandchildren will still be shooting my Stainless Elite.

That may or may not matter to you.

Generally, I prefer the older guns, but the SSEs are incredible guns that NH deserves to be proud of.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#28]
being an avid collector of SIGS  ( even have a 224 elite, likely the most disappointing sig I've touched)
comparing the x series triggers to the SRT isn't even close to the park ( a trigger in a 2k + target pistol vs an EDC SRT trigger in a pistol half the cost is really unrealistic you'd find the same results.

on SAO or DA/SA

with the SRT, the difference in trigger pull is so slight its meaningless unless you have difficulty in pulling 5 lbs with a finger..( I'm pretty sure none of us are grandmothers in our 80s)
so the real question is do you want to carry cocked and loaded or loaded and uncocked.
personally i opt for DA/SA because the chances of a 2-3lb mistake are concerning more than a 5 LB mistake.
the pull is of little consequence.

with the standard trigger the difference is more pronounced in the much longer trigger pull and more grainy feel of initial shot from double action.

on legions, I own a 226 in 9mm da/sa legion. because I shot a 229 and 226 SAO in 9mm and could feel the difference from the cocked, short pull and the double action enough to have it matter holstered to me. ( the SAO pull on a cocked SIG is light enough to make me consider the potential of tripping it setting my fat ass down)
the added features with the dovetail, finish, cool factor, et al on legions are attractive. but as an EDC its not on my list. because IF i ever have to use it i don't want it confiscated for an undetermined amount of time I don't want a full size bulky pistol on my hip and there care better options ( 938 for example)
since i also have a 226 tacops and compare it with the legion often, i think there is little difference of note between them. the thing the tacops has over the legion is the threaded barrel, which if you don't own a can means nothing. I think some tacops also come without the set, not sure, but with it, nothing of performance I can see.
the legion is of course finished better, but not by much, its more unique but it also doesn't come with full on stacked for hell mags like the tacops.

so to me. between them it comes down to this.
legion= more collectable
           more finite finished detail
           cool box

tacops= threaded barrel
            in the box bigger mags
            customizable with additional stuff ( which to me, if your exchanging grips on a legion or otherwise changing the look, you kinda missed the point.)

other than those two. the only other sig id say tops it are the X series.

german vs NH sigs.
i got an old 226 and an old 220 made in germany. the frames will certainly last longer, but they don't leave the safe. ( neither have rails) so the longevity of them is a moot point since I'm not pushing them to see what happens in 100k rounds.
I do have a basic 226 thats up to about 60k rounds and while its got signs of wear, it still is in good condition, shoots fine, and is often the goto gun for teaching new people to shoot. ( my wife loves it and shoots it weekly, typically pushing 500-1k through it each time, I've considered not bringing it just so she practices with her EDC. but my couch is lumpy.)

edited to add.
226 vs 229. to me, a double stack 9mm is just that. its still a bulky full size.
my 229 is another safe queen because i feel i shoot better with the 226. not that i think the extra barrel length really effects accuracy, but that the little bit more weight on the top mitigates recoil a bit more and allows faster follow up shots.ive also only got two SAO sigs now. mostly because i just don't like a cocked hammer without a thumb safety.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#29]
That last post is a real head-scratcher, so let's clarify and maybe even agree on a few things...

The SRT stands for "Short Reset Trigger." It has nothing at all to do with the pull weight of any given P-Series gun. It does, however, have everything to do with the reset point of the trigger and subsequently the speed at which one can shoot the pistol. The "Short Reach Trigger" was developed for those who had trouble reaching the trigger face due to the bulk of the grip and the distance from the backstrap to the trigger face. It never was, nor should it be tossed about as an acronym, as that only serves to cause more confusion.

The topic of German vs NH made SIGs is not one of "frames" but one of all-encompassing QA/QC practices and distinctly different manufacturing methods. Amongst those differences are folded stamped steel slides vs. CNC milled slides, and MIM parts versus those machines from barstock or forgings. There is zero correlation between the country of origin and the service life of the frame. There IS a correlation between the material of the frame and its service life; these steel frames are produced in both Germany and the USA.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#30]
the constant thing I hear from Sig aficionados is " German sigs are better, longer lasting" since my german sig doesn't get shot I can't exactly dispute this so I figure whatever.. if people want to bee live it I can't argue it since I don't have practical knowledge.
the DA/SA system is a heavy/light trigger.. IMO the SAO is typically in the middle or on the heavy side..  the SHORT RESET TRIGGER is the only trigger I find it makes much difference in. ( just me but if your running stock triggers on a sig its kind of pointless to get wrapped up in " trigger quality" since if it really was a concern you'd be running the SHORT RESET TRIGGER)

that sort out my opinion for you?

now this being P series……

on X series triggers are a whole bother animal. ( only exception being the 210)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top