Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2016 12:22:46 AM EDT
I have a CPO P229 in .40 S&W that I'm looking at upgrading a bit (E2 grips, Short Reset Trigger, 9mm exchange kit w/slide/barrel/etc).  I'm wanting to go with the 9mm in hopes of increased capacity and noticed that the exchange kit comes with 13 round mags, but Sig makes 15 round mags for the E2 and updated P229 models.  I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the newer mags on older P229s with the E2 upgrades and how they work.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#1]
MecGar makes 17rd 9mm mags. In case you don't know this they used to be or now still are the OEM manufacturer for Sig mags.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't have to get an exchange kit for that conversion.  You only need to get a conversion barrel (barsto) and a recoil spring along with the mags which will take the 15 rounders.  You only need an exchange kit when converting 9mm up to 40/357.

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj567/pgfins/caliber.conversion_zpsd0grggr0.jpg
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#3]
EFK 9mm conversion barrel

says OOS right now though.  FYI you can run 9mm in your .40/.357 mags and the recoil spring change is up to you.  Most guys just use the same one on SIgTalk
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys.  Any input on Bar-sto barrels???
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:31:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They make great barrels. I have the same gun as you and bought a 9mm conversion barrel from them. Had no problems with it but there was a noticeable impact shift so in my case it wasn't something that could be easily switched back and forth. Not all guns will have it though so you never know until you try.

I ended getting a 226 in 9mm rather than messing with the conversion.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 1:03:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They make great barrels. I have the same gun as you and bought a 9mm conversion barrel from them. Had no problems with it but there was a noticeable impact shift so in my case it wasn't something that could be easily switched back and forth. Not all guns will have it though so you never know until you try.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much change in impact??? Was it significant enough that you couldn't correct by adjusting your sights???
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How much change in impact??? Was it significant enough that you couldn't correct by adjusting your sights???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was like 3" or so if I remember correctly. The shift was down and sigs fixed sights don't accommodate elevation changes. It was close enough for most work but I was planning on using it for USPSA so I needed it to be precise. I was much better off buying a dedicated gun. A casual shooter probably wouldn't care and like I said not everyone exhibits the shift.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
You can also just get a P228 slide (complete) and some mags and your are good to go. That is what I did and it has been great! No need to worry about sights. You will need to change the locking block which takes maybe 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Had the caliber change kits or top ends been available I definitely would have gone that route.

Oh well, you can never have too many guns right?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

says OOS right now though.  FYI you can run 9mm in your .40/.357 mags and the recoil spring change is up to you.  Most guys just use the same one on SIgTalk
View Quote

Got a call from EFK Thursday, more in production, on the list to get a call when they're done.  Hoping soon.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Got a call from EFK Thursday, more in production, on the list to get a call when they're done.  Hoping soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered a barrel from them a few years back. It took twice as long as the quoted me. Was getting ready to cancel the order when they shipped it. I hope they have gotten better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top