Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2015 12:03:16 AM EDT
after stripping down my 229 to the frame, to only satisfy my OCD need to deep clean and completely understand how the weapon works inside and out...I put the mag release detent in backwards.

For those of you who have done this, if any of you are as stupid as I apparently am, you know how screwed I am.  For those of you who havent...feel lucky, and dont ever do it.

My question is this:  Can I drill out the entire release?  Im thinking from the backside...where the spring is inserted.  Essentially taking that whole side off, so the other part can be pulled out from the back.  Is this a stupid idea?  I guess I'm just too cheap to really want to spend the $110 to send the gun to Sig.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:06:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Rare earth magnet?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rare earth magnet?
View Quote

Interesting thought!  Not sure how I could squeeze something in there to pull the detent back far enough to pull it out though.  It was a real PITA to push in to begin with...
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I found this on SigTalk:

"Take a thin piece of metal (I used a .04mm feeler gauge) and press it into the gap to depress the catch. If you manage to slip it in there, it should keep the catch down so you can remove the release and reinstall the catch correctly."

Sig mag release tip
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I had drill one out that a dept member did wrong.   I drilled the whole button out and got a new one from the armory
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Please tell me you didn't remove the pressed in extractor pin.
View Quote

Hahaha the slide is still in one, correctly assembled and functioning piece.  Thank God.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I found this on SigTalk:

"Take a thin piece of metal (I used a .04mm feeler gauge) and press it into the gap to depress the catch. If you manage to slip it in there, it should keep the catch down so you can remove the release and reinstall the catch correctly."

Sig mag release tip
View Quote

Interesting...I might have to give this a try.  Even though I've already drilled halfway through the back side
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats a booboo I havent made yet.  Now I know not to s crew with it.  LOL
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Other possible Sig Boo Boo: over tightening the grip screws and stripping the threads out of the aluminum frame.

Themoreyouknow.jpg

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Were you ever able to get the mag release out?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope. It's still sitting on my bench. The guys at Controlled Chaos said they would take care of it for me. Going to have them cerakote it while they have it. So now I'm not in any huge hurry. I imagine they are going to cut it out. But I trust their hands more than my own.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I used the shim trick years ago after stripping down a 220. It's pretty much a "first time" learning experience, as in the first time you do it will be your last.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay, so I went ahead and decided to whip out the dremel tonight and have at the gun.  

Now calling all left handed sig lovers.

This frame will now forever be a lefty!  Not sure what the rules are about posting sale stuff here, but keep your eye out for a lefty 229 frame in the EE.

ETA:  Potentially stupid question, but will the 229 parts fit on a 226 frame?  If I were to just buy the stripped frame...
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lefty? What did you do?
View Quote

Basically the frame chipped right on the corner where the detent is at.  Mag release can still be put in from the other side though and functions flawlessly.  Just going to get the frame cleaned up and probably cerakote it, then sell it off.  I'll post a picture when I get a chance so you can see what NOT to do.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#18]
So I've stripped the frame down and am going to refinish it (cerakote) and was reading about different ideas and ran across this.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_19/447025_Good_pit_filling_substance___SIG_P226.html

Any idea if the low temp aluminum rods they talk about would work to fill the chip? Will still plan on running the release on the left side since I doubt I'd be able to get it set with the gap for the detent, but if it would fill the chip for aesthetics then I'd be happy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought a 220 for about half price several years ago after someone assembled it wrong and busted out the frame at the mag release trying to "fix" it. I stripped the frame down and took it a welder who TIG welded it up for me at his minimum $25/half hr rate and took it home and did a little file work. Ended up having to go back the next day and pay another $25 to have him fill in my file work, but it did work fine the second time. GO SLOW was the lesson learned.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry the frame got butchered.....very expensive lesson. Thanks for sharing for you may have prevented someone else from doing that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Great thread.  I'm not the type that feels compelled to detail strip my firearms.  A man has to know his limitations, and I know that I'm more of a "FRONT TOWARD ENEMY" kind of guy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Great thread.  I'm not the type that feels compelled to detail strip my firearms.  A man has to know his limitations, and I know that I'm more of a "FRONT TOWARD ENEMY" kind of guy.
View Quote

Yea, I should be too!  Managed to learn an expensive lesson. Thank god it's not my EDC. And it gave me an excuse to go buy another Sig. And like the previous post said, hopefully someone else reads this and doesn't do the same thing. Hard to imagine there's anyone else out there as dumb and impatient as I was though!

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Time for me to membership up and throw some support to the site!
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Did the sane thing on my 226 back in the day. I used a dental pick to get the sucker out. Never made that mistake again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top