Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2015 3:12:56 PM EDT
I bought a used sig 229 dak from summit, and the guy was great to work with. The gun itself is fantastic, stainless slide, w/ german frame and in great shape. However, I use a thumbs up grip (i shoot mostly CZ's). That grip didnt work well. I was actually shooting more accurately at 10 yards one handed than I was with 2. Id get a bulls eye, then it would drop 6 inches down or 6 inches down and to the left next shot. Only one handed could I keep them all in the center.

I figured it was the bulky sig grips and that tumor on the left grip for the decocking lever thats not there, that was interfering with my grip. I bought the e2 dak grip kit, installed it, and while its slimmer, im still not shooting it well, and its still beating my hand up a good bit. 100 rounds of .40 was all I thought, I normally shoot 2-300 rounds when i take my CZs. Are there other grip options, like a slick slide grip without the bulge for the lever? Should I try replacing the recoil spring, or is that a typical amount? I want to like and carry this gun, and it runs 100%, but im still not confident of a first shot hit like I am with my CZs and I wont carry until I know I shoot it well. Any advice?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate the DAK trigger, I shot ok with it but I just couldn't get past the pull.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:01:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I could never grasp double-action until about 2008 when I bought a used S&W Model 65 revolver.  That revolver taught me double-action.

Since then I've gone almost all DAO/DAK (S&W, SIG, Glock with NY1 + 3.5).  I have two 1911 style pistols but otherwise everything else I have is DAO/DAK - I shun DA/SA like the plague.

To answer your question and I'm not an instructor or expert so take this FWIW - practice ROLLING the trigger through its range of motion in one smooth stroke.  Work slowly at first and just roll it through.  What I didn't/don't like about DA/SA is I always "milked" the trigger until it reset, with DAK just throw your finger forward all the way and then ROLL it through again - slow and smooth.  Speed will come when you get comfortable.  Really think about isolating movement to only your trigger finger - lock everything else in place.

I hope you can really give your new pistol a chance and also hope you can make it work to your liking.  The best thing about DAO is that most people seem to not like them giving you great opportunities to pick up surplus DAOs at crazy prices.

I carry a surplus 9mm 226R DAK on-duty now and have also qualified with that Model 65 and more recently a Model 15.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I could never grasp double-action until about 2008 when I bought a used S&W Model 65 revolver.  That revolver taught me double-action.

Since then I've gone almost all DAO/DAK (S&W, SIG, Glock with NY1 + 3.5).  I have two 1911 style pistols but otherwise everything else I have is DAO/DAK - I shun DA/SA like the plague.

To answer your question and I'm not an instructor or expert so take this FWIW - practice ROLLING the trigger through its range of motion in one smooth stroke.  Work slowly at first and just roll it through.  What I didn't/don't like about DA/SA is I always "milked" the trigger until it reset, with DAK just throw your finger forward all the way and then ROLL it through again - slow and smooth.  Speed will come when you get comfortable.  Really think about isolating movement to only your trigger finger - lock everything else in place.

I hope you can really give your new pistol a chance and also hope you can make it work to your liking.  The best thing about DAO is that most people seem to not like them giving you great opportunities to pick up surplus DAOs at crazy prices.

I carry a surplus 9mm 226R DAK on-duty now and have also qualified with that Model 65 and more recently a Model 15.

View Quote
its more the grips. the bulge for the non existent decocker lever affects my usual thumb placement. Are there are slick slide grips?

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I always hated the bulge on the P228/P229 grips, kept me from buying one many times. The E2 grip is much better in that respect if it's compatible with you frame. The DAK also takes some gettin use to. Dry fire until you can keep a smooth pull without disturbing your sights. Low left is generally a trigger control issue.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#5]
DAO triggers are their own animal. The best piece of advice i ever got while learning to shoot DAO was to keep the trigger moving all the way through the pull. You're trying to stage it and its making you anticipate and jerk the trigger. Once you have a good sight picture, keep the trigger moving, and say it to yourself, "keep the trigger moving" as you practice. The DAK is a very smooth DAO, you should he shooting well in no time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't have a DAK but all I'm really reading is you need to work on your grip and trigger pull.

Dry fire

I have a 226 and a 229 both DA/SA but when I dry fire it's always DA, for every trigger pull.

229 is an E2, 226 is not.

I honestly don't really notice anything too terribly different between them that effects accuracy. I shoot with a high grip with the thumbs up high on the frame. Last round doesn't hold the slide in lock because of it... Oh well. I keep my grip the same between all pistols.

Dry fire

Dry fire

Dry fire
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought one  of those too.  I also bought a P228 parts kit on ebay for $140 and switched it over to SA/DA.  Added a SRT kit to it while I had it all apart.  It's fantastic now.  I'm sure you could find the SA/DA parts cheaper if you didn't want the 9mm slide assembly, but I'd rather shoot 9mm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top