Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 8:14:04 PM EDT
The Dept. that I work for is looking very hard at this pistol as a replacement for our aging Glock 22's.  I Only recently started hearing about them.  Can Y'all "school me" on them and tell me whether you think that this would be a good choice or not? They told us today that they are looking at both 9x19 and 40 S&W.

Supposedly they are also looking at FN's too in both 9mm and our current 40 S&W.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say they are too new to find much feedback.

I like the modular concept. I have a couple of P250s in trade and like you can switch frame size and calibers.

If I had the money I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:23:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had a P320C 9mm for about six months. Hardly a torture test here...but I carry it almost every day and put 3000rds or so through it so far. Its held up and run flawlessly. Its as accurate in my hands as any other pistol I've owned, and much more so than my Glocks.

Major positives in my mind: 1) Trigger is the best I've ever felt on a striker-fired gun, with the exception of a PPQ. 2) Its incredibly simple in design. SIG could have easily dicked up the whole concept of a modular design, but I think they hit it out of the park here. The internals are all integrated into one stainless steel chassis that is much more rigid than a Glock or HK frame. No goofy tools or pins to mess with when taking in or out, but it fits securely in the frame nonetheless. The slide disassembles exactly like a Glock, which is a big positive for me since that's as simple as it gets.

Downsides in my mind: 1) Bore axis is significantly higher than a Glock or M&P. This matters more to some people than others. But if you're someone who's exclusively been using guns with a low bore axis, you'll need a little time getting used to this gun. 2) Parts/accessories availability. I'm hoping this is just because its a new gun, and production hasn't caught up yet. But if they're going to make this whole modular thing work, they better start getting the caliber and size exchange kits out there and available to the public. Right now Glock has the competition beat when it comes to parts and accessories availability, and SIG better get on this fast if they want to have a shot at taking some of the market share.

Bottom line: I think the jury will be out on the 320 series for another year or two, until it develops a track record with a major LE agency. But so far its pretty hard to find a negative review about it. I guess I've been one of the first guinea pigs this year and I'm happy with it. But there's no way to compare it to Glocks/M&Ps/etc. at this point.

Here's a video for those that like youtube torture tests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU8-QHh2bR8
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:55:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Ask me in a month, my department is buying them for all sworn officers for an off duty pistol and in 9mm simply because it's one caliber that we stock for (subguns) and they didn't want to add another caliber to the mix. We shoot a lot and as the head firearms instructor I will be sending ALOT of rounds down range in that first month to see if it is worthy as a replacement for our duty pistols...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ask me in a month, my department is buying them for all sworn officers for an off duty pistol and in 9mm simply because it's one caliber that we stock for (subguns) and they didn't want to add another caliber to the mix. We shoot a lot and as the head firearms instructor I will be sending ALOT of rounds down range in that first month to see if it is worthy as a replacement for our duty pistols...
View Quote

Awesome.  Keep us updated if you can.  I haven't seen much bad about them, but then they are so new it's hard to tell.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've had a P320C 9mm for about six months. Hardly a torture test here...but I carry it almost every day and put 3000rds or so through it so far. Its held up and run flawlessly. Its as accurate in my hands as any other pistol I've owned, and much more so than my Glocks.

Major positives in my mind: 1) Trigger is the best I've ever felt on a striker-fired gun, with the exception of a PPQ. 2) Its incredibly simple in design. SIG could have easily dicked up the whole concept of a modular design, but I think they hit it out of the park here. The internals are all integrated into one stainless steel chassis that is much more rigid than a Glock or HK frame. No goofy tools or pins to mess with when taking in or out, but it fits securely in the frame nonetheless. The slide disassembles exactly like a Glock, which is a big positive for me since that's as simple as it gets.

Downsides in my mind: 1) Bore axis is significantly higher than a Glock or M&P. This matters more to some people than others. But if you're someone who's exclusively been using guns with a low bore axis, you'll need a little time getting used to this gun. 2) Parts/accessories availability. I'm hoping this is just because its a new gun, and production hasn't caught up yet. But if they're going to make this whole modular thing work, they better start getting the caliber and size exchange kits out there and available to the public. Right now Glock has the competition beat when it comes to parts and accessories availability, and SIG better get on this fast if they want to have a shot at taking some of the market share.

Bottom line: I think the jury will be out on the 320 series for another year or two, until it develops a track record with a major LE agency. But so far its pretty hard to find a negative review about it. I guess I've been one of the first guinea pigs this year and I'm happy with it. But there's no way to compare it to Glocks/M&Ps/etc. at this point.

View Quote

Thanks for the info on them.  They are certainly "neat", but like you said seem to be very unproven and that worries me some when it comes to it being a duty weapon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I read an article online that Sig put out a few days about an instructor at the Sig Academy that has put 10,000 rounds through his P320 in a 2 month period. Sorry I dont remember where I seen the article and I cant find it now. I know this doesnt mean shit but I found it somewhat interesting, but like most have said it lacks a track record.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

What kind of ammo will you be using? The reason I ask is before I took my brand new compact model out shooting last week I checked with SIG and the customer service guy said no +p+. I was under the impression that L.E. uses the hotter stuff.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What kind of ammo will you be using? The reason I ask is before I took my brand new compact model out shooting last week I checked with SIG and the customer service guy said no +p+. I was under the impression that L.E. uses the hotter stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, the problem is +P+ isn't a standard. P and +P have SAAMI standards attached to those designations. +P+ is just "more than +P". LE tends to use hotter stuff, but it's typically +P as they use SAAMI spec ammo and +P+ isn't SAAMI.

We tested the P320 with Action4 at one point, which puts +P+ to shame in chamber pressure. Ran fine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SIG has said no +P+ for just about forever. I know of a large police department in VA that use to shoot +P+ in SIGs. Needless to say, every time the department changed their guns, SIG bought them all back even knowing +P+ was being used in them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have any power in the say so, push to get Glocks again or one of the metal framed SiGs.
The 320 is still too new and there are not a lot of holster choices for duty. I have a little experience with the 250c in 9 mm And those had problems at the beginning. The 2 nd gen is ok, but the 320 needs more time out.
I remember one department went to SW 99s and they paid dearly for their mistake. Too new of a design.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:19:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You must be a rich man to come up with 1000 rounds of 9mm to burn! How long did it take to scrub out all the burn on carbon?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our duty ammo is Winchester Ranger T, I am trying to find the 127 +p+ but the supplier that we get our .45 hasn't had any for 6 months. I will be shooting ball through it until I find what I am looking for. The demo pistol that we shoot had a documented 8,2?? Rounds through it without cleaning and without a malfunction. Sig told the rep to rund it until it malfunctions....
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You must be a rich man to come up with 1000 rounds of 9mm to burn! How long did it take to scrub out all the burn on carbon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not my video, I just happened to see it posted on another forum. I think he mentions in the video that SIG supplied the ammo for the test. I think thats interesting, because I don't know if too many manufacturers would endorse/sponsor a test where one of their guns would be fired 1000x straight.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We shoot a lot and as the head firearms instructor I will be sending ALOT of rounds down range in that first month to see if it is worthy as a replacement for our duty pistols...
View Quote
so you're saying DON'T buy a trade-in from your PD then...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We shoot a lot and as the head firearms instructor I will be sending ALOT of rounds down range in that first month to see if it is worthy as a replacement for our duty pistols...

I added up just the annual quals and the Dept range time rounds on my Glock 22 that I've carried for the past seven years and using a VERY conservative estimate have over 10,000 rounds through it.  That doesn't count my "on my own" rounds down range.  I'd say that the old adage "carried a lot, shot very little" isn't actually true for trade in pistols from PD's anymore.  That said, if we change ours out, I'll be buying mine from the vendor.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:05:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Your SIG regional LE manager can provide you a list of agencies that have already approved/adopted the P320,
most of them have been testing them since last summer, there are many, and the list is growing by the day.
If you start contacting them you'll find out operator proficiency is increased across all skill levels with the P320
over the existing issue sidearm, mostly glock. I experienced the same thing, I have about 2500rds on both the
full size and compact, and this is after 23 years of exclusive glock use.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Can anyone here tell me which agencies have already started or are about to issue to Sig P320?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone who needs a complete list can get one through their SIG regional LE manager.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm familiar with Glocks, XD's, S&W M&P's, and the Sig 250, but haven't been able to get my hand on a 320 yet.  Although from the pictures I have seen, I don't see any type of trigger "safety" like on the other, so is it just a longer take up for the "safety"?  I know the one made for the military trials shows to have a manual safety, but the plain P320 doesn't show anything like that either.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm familiar with Glocks, XD's, S&W M&P's, and the Sig 250, but haven't been able to get my hand on a 320 yet.  Although from the pictures I have seen, I don't see any type of trigger "safety" like on the other, so is it just a longer take up for the "safety"?  I know the one made for the military trials shows to have a manual safety, but the plain P320 doesn't show anything like that either.
View Quote

True, but IIRC, trigger tab & thumb safety models are supposed to be available for LE (don't know if they'll make it to the civvie market).

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#22]
The trigger safeties don't do anything but keep the trigger bar from moving when the trigger hasn't been pulled (think drop safety). I can't remember the exact mechanism*, but the internal design keeps the trigger bar from moving rearward hasn't been pulled. The tab safety really doesn't add anything to the design other than give peace of mind to the less informed decision makers that populate police administrations.

*IIRC, it has something to do with how the trigger bar is attached to the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It actually has the shortest takeup and reset of any striker trigger currently made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top