Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2014 11:32:02 PM EDT
So picked up a NIB 226 Tac Ops yesterday. Came home and gave it a thourough cleaning and lubrication. Quick trip to the range this morning yielded a broken extractor after only 22 rounds!! Talk about disappointing. I know its a complete fluke but damb is it heartbreaking. Back to Sig ahe goes on Monday. I have seen some info out there that states that the new longer extractor has a history of breaking early in the race.  Anybody have this problem?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The usual deal with MIM- the part either breaks within a few hundred rounds or its good for thousands.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:29:37 AM EDT
[#2]
isolated incident

Bummer, OP.  Let us know what kind of CS you get when you contact SIG
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:22:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Did the case rupture, or fail catastrophicaly.?
will sig sell you a spare extractor?

I watched a P250 throw an extractor a couple weeks ago, gun had 150 rounds through it.

the brass case ruptured, not sure why.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#4]
My 229 Elite that broke the Firing Pin Placement Pin after dry firing with a snap cap was an isolated incident too

Sorry to hear it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had a few instances of dealing with Sig's CS Department as I am a buyer for a Firearms Dealer Chain here in WV.  They have always been top notch and insanely fast turn around times.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the only reasons I went with the MK25 was to get the legacy extractor. After reading this and many other cases, I will always be happy about that decision.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the only reasons I went with the MK25 was to get the legacy extractor. After reading this and many other cases, I will always be happy about that decision.
View Quote

yep, glad I bought that mint triple serial number German gun a couple months ago...

this is what people don't get about MIM, yes it can produce completely capable parts.  The problem is that its very easy for turds to slip through unnoticed.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did the case rupture, or fail catastrophicaly.?will sig sell you a spare extractor?

I watched a P250 throw an extractorextractor a couple weeks ago, gun had 150 rounds through it.
the brass case ruptured, not sure why.
View Quote

No problems with casing. I can buy the parts through Sig. We actually hosted Todd Rassa of the Sig Academy at our shop iin August. He certified myself and three other employess as Sig ClassicLine armorers. But I guarantee i can get my gun to them and back in less time than I can get the parts and install them.  Plus 22rds in, warranty will cover all my parts instead of paying out of pocket.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:50:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Will you trust the gun for defense, when you get it back ?
Is there an aftermarket manufacturer of high grade, tool steel extractors for the SIG ?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:15:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Will you trust the gun for defense, when you get it back ?Is there an aftermarket manufacturer of high grade, tool steel extractors for the SIG ?
View Quote

Grey Guns makes a replacement short extractor and I think an internal one too. The long extractor has not been out long enough for a market to exist yet.

The recommendation has been to run 500rds through any gun before carrying it for years. Seems doubly important now.

FWIW, a LOT of manufacturers have MIM  parts in their guns nowadays.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 229 Scorpion that did the same extractor issue.
Sig took care of it and it works great now.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#12]
A quick call to my field rep for Sig and a little ribbing in good jest and I quickly had an RMA, shipped out yesterday. We will.see how quick I get it back. I have seen Sig repairs out and back in 5 days.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A quick call to my field rep for Sig and a little ribbing in good jest and I quickly had an RMA, shipped out yesterday. We will.see how quick I get it back. I have seen Sig repairs out and back in 5 days.
View Quote

I had a door-to-door of 3 days once, shipped from STL to replace a broken barrel bushing.  I don't even know how it's possible to get it there and back in that amount of time?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I had  spring fail on a factory certified 228 called sig 4:15 pm and had a new spring kit in my hand before 10:00am the next day
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my 226 back today. Not bad turnaround, 6 business days. Will take it to the range and shoot it and see how it does.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top