Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 8:12:52 PM EDT
Need some outside the box opinions.

Looking at the lowest price range 9mm X5. The SAO 226X5-9-TAC might be in the cards. Maybe one of the few left for my FFL.

Are there any issues with these guns I should know about?

In these times, where else can I get an all German gun with test target, let alone a mastershop gun, for around $1600 + tax and paperwork?

Wish there was something smaller.

Unfortunately from what my FFL may be able to get:

226X5-9-SCANDIC  
226X5-9-BMOON
226X5-9-SHORTSM  
226X5-9-BW  
226X5-9-LTWT  
226X5E-9-EN-10
226X5-9-L1-10  
226X5-9-L1  
226X5-9-TAC  
226X5-9-EMERALD  
226X5-9-BLUEP
226X5-9-TAC-10  
226X6-9-SCANDIC

In the lower price range, I cannot find an all German made 220-226R sized 9mm/.45ACP DA/SA in an inexpensive finish like black.

The 226X5-9-SHORTSM is priced little over $1000 more and SAO.

My preference is for a NIB 9mm-.45 DA/SA 220-226R sized all German gun.

With two months to go, if luck is with me, I might be able to purchase one or two more handguns before the ban.

If these were your last handgun purchases, To you,

1)  Is a 226X5-9-TAC worth the price of two MK25's?

2)  Would you sacrifice $1000 more for a 226X5-9-SHORTSM ?

3)  Is a mastershop gun worth that much more to you, than a stock all German 220-226R government contract overrun gun?

4)  Would you consider any other purchases?

The 226X5-9-TAC being so long, seems like a handgun with no role for me.

Other than these X5 choices. I might be able to get NIB G17-19 3rd-4th Gen or MK25's.

Have not found anything interesting yet from individuals in my area. After the ban we can still do person to person sales, but no purchases from FFLs for such handguns. So prices may rise.

Therefore these last 1-2 gun choices may, also have some low end trade value for the future. Towards guns I want that other people might have.

I can only buy one handgun every 30 day period. So if I wait or buy nothing, the opportunity is lost as the ban approaches. So this situation forces one to buy something or lose the slot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Your questions are kind of all over the place....but let's start at the beginning...

The SAO 226 X-5 Tac is a solid choice, if you're ok with a lighter alloy frame.  I prefer the heavier steel frames.  Is it a range toy or competition gun? STEEL is better.  Is it a carry gun...then perhaps the lighter weight of alloy offers some increased comfort.

There are no known issues with any of the X-5's..(other than some people previously had extractor problems, which has pretty much been resolved) and that you'll probably want to spend a lot more on ammo since they're so fun to shoot.

Your 2nd question: where else can you get a mastershop gun <$1600?  Well, the used market....they come up occasionally on many gun sites...you could look here on the EE, or Gunbroker, or CalGuns for example.

Question #3 - Yes, any X5 is worth it in my opinion (I have a p226 X5 Competition and a p226 X6 L1)

There is a huge difference in fit, finish, and handling between a stock p226 and a Mastershop Gun.  Personally I would not consider the Short & Smart, as one of the best parts of the X-series is the longer barrels and sight radius....along with the extra steel help keep it shooting soft.  Same reason (lack of STEEL) that I wouldn't buy the X-5 Tactical....ymmv.

Where are you finding GERMAN p220 or p226 gov-overrun guns?  Please provide a link to that!

I'm intentionally ignoring your Glock comment....because (they suck, and) this is a SIG forum.  I don't see how you can talk about something as beautiful as an X-Five in the same thread as tupperware.

From your post, it sounds like you live in CA....because I'm not sure what 'ban' you're talking about.  The ban on German exports?  Probably not.  I assume you're talking about the end of the CA-SSE...which isn't really a 'ban' exactly.

Assuming I'm right about you being in CA, I understand your sense of urgency...truly I do.  But you really need to decide what it is you NEED vs. what you WANT.  Personally I rather have one GREAT pistol than a lot of mediocre pistols.  If you buy a high end X-Five, you will cry only once.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:08:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Not to keep you up late. Your most pressing question regarding, the Exeter import contract overruns. These referred to previous purchases, from auction sites, in the past few years. At exorbitant prices. Unfortunately, no current links to major sellers. I apologize for getting your hopes up. I wish these were a current possibility, for us before the SSE ban.

If you can live with PWA imports. In the past, I recall Weidners had some German 220 .45ACPs, that were perhaps from the same Exeter lot. Unfortunately, they had a no sales to CA policy and I have made it a point not to buy from anyone, who does not support the 2A enough for CA shipment. Even though it could be shipped to other FFLs. They are likely all sold out.

You may have misunderstood my point, to purchase a low end X5, versus Glocks, MK25 or German contract overruns if found again. For CA purchase, if I decide against the X5. Unfortunately, the the 30 day rule forces me to purchase something NIB from a FFL, or lose the slot. I meant, if not X5, then what? Those were some choices I would not mind.

Finding nothing else, I felt these secondary choices were more utilitarian. Than a long X5, which serves no likely defense role for me. Perhaps the X5 will grow on the owners.

It comes down to what you believe, the value of a slot is worth. Should I purchase a X5, likely longslide, that does not serve a defense role, in my current view. Other than a glorified nightstand gun, perhaps! Or future trade item, given its potential desirability to local shooters. Not to sell, to fellow shooters for profit later, but to trade for their NIB WG DE 220-226s.

I do not think a good price could be easily found on any of the listed NIB guns, from private parties, now or with the new year. Hopefully your luck is better than mine.

If you feel the quality of the non utilitarian longslide X5's, outshines its size overtime. Then perhaps it may make a worthy slot.

Since the 30 day rule forces me to get something. Even if I do not need it. With limited resources, given what is available NIB, I wanted to make it my best. If the listed X5s fit WG DE 9mm 15-20rd mags, then they are also the basis of my mag stocks, so that is a plus.

For defense use. I do not believe a rough around the edges end user, like myself, could master and fully appreciate the qualities of an X5, over a service looking standard German 220 226R or WG 226 220.

However, if you feel the listed low end NIB X5 is worth two or more NIB WG or DE 220 226R overruns, in trade after the new year. That would motivate me, to invest and buy two X5's with my remaining slots, for future trade possibilities. Since I can not locate stock NIB WG 226s and DE 226Rs now in the SSE ban hysteria.

What I think I need and want, can not be found now. So forced with the 30 day rule, I have to buy something I do not like. That gives me the best return. Perhaps it will grow on me. Or I can use it for trade later for something I need and want.

I have survived a holocaust, or two or three.... I tend to mostly view the handgun role in that context: Survival, defense, carry, backup. I do not need a range toy or target pistol, never had any in the past. I am not a competitive shooter. I prefer to purchase NIB guns only. Lower end priced, stock Military service type handguns. These are just low end priced tools for me, and perhaps with the SSE ban, potential trade goods. If anything, they will go to loved ones when I pass.

I have never in the past, owed any custom handgun, they always seemed out of reach, given the expense and not for my rough around the edges low end skill level.

I was asking for your thoughts. Given the limited NIB choices available to us, what is the best expenditure, of one or two slots, that must be used? Some X5 from the list I do not like. An Exeter 553R, P7M13, MK25s, the Tupperware you disdain? Or something else you recommend? I concede the fact, that it will be something I do not like, in the immediate sense. But if this choice fits in with present mag stocks, along those lines, it is an advantage over other choices. Any force multiplier is always good to have.

I have handled a black short frame 226R sized X5 and wish there were more. For some reason, the field stripped frame seemed heavier on that one, than some standard recent year DE contract overrun 226R frames. Perhaps it was my excitement, the weight of the tail, components or frame material. You eluded to, that some X5, possibly shorts, are steel frame? Interesting.

This is the Land of Confusion, especially now. So excuse me again for being all over the place. I also did not realize how loved the X5's are. With the end of SSE, what remains also to be asked is. How many more times in price is that low end price range NIB 226X5-9-TAC worth to you, over their NIB stock WG DE counterparts, etc., in PPT trade over time? We have to factor all of this information, for the best selection with our remaining slots.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Finding nothing else, I felt these secondary choices were more utilitarian. Than a long X5, which serves no likely defense role for me. Perhaps the X5 will grow on the owners.... Should I purchase a X5, likely longslide, that does not serve a defense role, in my current view. Other than a glorified nightstand gun, perhaps! Or future trade item, given its potential desirability to local shooters. Not to sell, to fellow shooters for profit later, but to trade for their NIB WG DE 220-226s.

I think you're extremely unlikely to find a "NIB" West German 220 or 226.  Sure there are some out there in mint condition, but even those are few and far between.  An actual 'never fired' NIB?  That's a stretch of the imagination, in my opinion.  Possible, but very unlikely.

So rather than purchasing a pistol that you don't want, with the hope of trading it for something you do want later, personally I would try and find something / anything else that you do want now.  What about a US made p220 or p226?  How about a nice 1911?

If the listed X5s fit WG DE 9mm 15-20rd mags, then they are also the basis of my mag stocks, so that is a plus.

Yes, any mag that fits the p226 will fit the p226 X-Five.

However, if you feel the listed low end NIB X5 is worth two or more NIB WG or DE 220 226R overruns, in trade after the new year. That would motivate me, to invest and buy two X5's with my remaining slots, for future trade possibilities. Since I can not locate stock NIB WG 226s and DE 226Rs now in the SSE ban hysteria.

Like I said earlier, I'm personally not a huge fan of the "low end" (not all steel) X5's.  Certainly there are those who are, and YMMV.

What I think I need and want, can not be found now. So forced with the 30 day rule, I have to buy something I do not like. That gives me the best return. Perhaps it will grow on me. Or I can use it for trade later for something I need and want.

Logical, but speculative.

the Tupperware you disdain?
Yes, I disdain it.....but I still used one of my slots to buy a g20 (because 10mm is the best of all mm's!)...my first polymer frame in my collection.

This is the Land of Confusion, especially now. So excuse me again for being all over the place. I also did not realize how loved the X5's are. With the end of SSE, what remains also to be asked is. How many more times in price is that low end price range NIB 226X5-9-TAC worth to you, over their NIB stock WG DE counterparts, etc., in PPT trade over time? We have to factor all of this information, for the best selection with our remaining slots.

I don't think pistols in CA are going to appreciate radically in value like some folks think.  Yeah, there will always be those who are desperate or who are suckers....but frankly this is JUST a Kalifornia thing.  There will still be those who know an exempt individual such as LEO to PPT from, or have relatives out of state to deal for them.  There will still be those who move into state.....so someone that's willing to pay 2x the value in CA is just lazy or desperate.  There are also whispered rumors of a SSE 2.0, and or the possibility of the roster being overturned completely (although not likely to happen soon).  

My opinion as always, YMMV.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, any X5 is worth it in my opinion (I have a p226 X5 Competition and a p226 X6 L1) .
View Quote

If I understand you correctly. Generally speaking. You still maintain that any X5, even a low end NIB 226X5-9-TAC, is a better SSE slot choice and value, than the other choices listed. Also to include your G20. All of these other choices may still be more available at better prices, after the new year, than even the low end NIB German X5's?

An often misused term with loose meaning. I still prefer and need combat type pistols most, for any SSE slot. These will always be at the top of the list. When compared to competition pieces, that hold little or no significantly importance to me, other than trade value. But that stretch 226X5-9-TAC seemed to almost blur the line a bit.

I understand your sound reasoning, about going high end for quality. If any of the X5's were styled as combat pistols in that list. Yes, I would try and spend the extra $1000+ for them.

At least, maybe you may not feel, that spending the $1600+ on the NIB 226X5-9-TAC is a waste. Being still worthwhile, given the quality of German manufacture, over the other choices for SSE.

Yes we are all looking forward to SSE 2.0. There seems to almost always be a loophole, for more good SIGs. Hopefully in time for the next DE contract overruns.

It is always a good idea to keep a foot in CA. You never know, when you might need something there operationally. So every item we can get in, represents a victory for us all.

Congratulations on the G20, you have excellent taste for Tupperware. Thank you for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If I understand you correctly. Generally speaking. You still maintain that any X5, even a low end NIB 226X5-9-TAC, is a better SSE slot choice and value, than the other choices listed. Also to include your G20. All of these other choices may still be more available at better prices, after the new year, than even the low end NIB German X5's?

Worth it if you're going to shoot it, yes.  Worth it as a hedged bet that you're going to sell/trade it for something else you like better......personally, I'm not sure.

An often misused term with loose meaning. I still prefer and need combat type pistols most, for any SSE slot. These will always be at the top of the list. When compared to competition pieces, that hold little or no significantly importance to me, other than trade value. But that stretch 226X5-9-TAC seemed to almost blur the line a bit.

Agreed, you seem to gravitate toward that pistol, and I can understand why.  It would seem to give you a little bit of everything you want.  What's street retail on the X-5 Tactical? About $1300-1400?   So it's not really an "extra $1000"

I understand your sound reasoning, about going high end for quality. If any of the X5's were styled as combat pistols in that list. Yes, I would try and spend the extra $1000+ for them.

At least, maybe you may not feel, that spending the $1600+ on the NIB 226X5-9-TAC is a waste. Being still worthwhile, given the quality of German manufacture, over the other choices for SSE.

Yes we are all looking forward to SSE 2.0. There seems to almost always be a loophole, for more good SIGs. Hopefully in time for the next DE contract overruns.

It is always a good idea to keep a foot in CA. You never know, when you might need something there operationally. So every item we can get in, represents a victory for us all.

Congratulations on the G20, you have excellent taste for Tupperware. Thank you for your thoughts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, any X5 is worth it in my opinion (I have a p226 X5 Competition and a p226 X6 L1) .

Worth it if you're going to shoot it, yes.  Worth it as a hedged bet that you're going to sell/trade it for something else you like better......personally, I'm not sure.

Agreed, you seem to gravitate toward that pistol, and I can understand why.  It would seem to give you a little bit of everything you want.  What's street retail on the X-5 Tactical? About $1300-1400?   So it's not really an "extra $1000"

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

A NIB 226X5-9-TAC from FFL may be $1500-1600+ now, let us hope ~$1500. Street price for NIB PPT?

If this is the point you were referencing. The extra ~$1000 referred to the estimated difference, between the lower and higher end NIB X5's, perhaps available to me at short notice, from the list posted. Add tax+dros to estimates mostly rounded down.

Maybe by now, only the 10rd mag versions are left. Since no .45ACP are available and .40 is not that attractive. It comes down to the 9mm X5's
or other choices that may be sourced in time for SSE.

$1500 226X5-9-TAC
$1500 226X5-9-TAC-10
$1500 226X5E-9-EN-10
$2200 226X5-9-LTWT
$2400 226X5-9-SCANDIC
$2500 226X5-9-L1
$2500 226X5-9-L1-10
$2600 226X5-9-SHORTSM
$3200 226X5-9-BW
$3300 226X5-9-BMOON
$3300 226X5-9-EMERALD  
$3300 226X5-9-BLUEP
$3300 226X6-9-SCANDIC

$1500 226X5-40-AR
$1500 226X5E-40-EN
$1800 226X5-40-COMP
$1900 226X5E-40-AR
$2300 226X5E-40-M-SHORT  
$2500 226X5-40-L1  
$2900 226X5E-40-BMOON

Being green, at least the EMERALD has some remote semblance of a combat pistol and it is a stretch, literally and figuratively. Unless you attach more weight to the the future of the German export ban, X5 US production only and our SSE prospects.

Faced with having to spend $3300+ on a NIB higher end X5, I may be tempted to go with a Exeter SAN 553P instead, in that price range, as the "best" SSE bang for the buck. Or half that for a 226X5-9-TAC. Unless there is a "better" SSE choice. Thank you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top