Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 9:17:07 PM EDT
My cousin, a retired attorney is getting rid of his as new Sig P230 with 2 magazines and a Fobus holster. He wants me to sell it for him. Is this something I should look at buying myself or is there something wrong with this model Sig (other than the .380 caliber)?....Thanks for you input on this model Sig, I have checked this entire Sig section and there is not one thread or post about the P230 and that has me worried...Thanks....<><....:)
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone? Any thoughts or comments on the P230?....<><....:)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one at one point. I liked the feel and it worked/shot/carried well. The recoil sensation was quite sharp for the size and relatively weak cartridge though. I got rid of it for a 9mm that was about the same size and shot better. Not a bad gun though. I think I sold mine for $300 (blued, 90% shape).
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The P230 is a damned fine pistol. The only issue I can see someone having with it is that it's a .380. That can be an issue for several reasons:
-  the P230 is a rather large pistol compared to current .380 offerings. These days you sacrifice the "duty" caliber for something you can slip into your pocket. The P230 isn't a pocket pistol
-  as with many .380s (especially older designs), the P230 is a direct blowback design. The barrel is fixed and there is no part of the action to slow the equal and opposite reaction other than the weight of the slide and the heavy recoil spring. This means you will experience more felt recoil and it will be more difficult to manipulate the slide.
-  the P230 is a .380, so there's the whole underpowered argument, which I'm not going to get into.

The P320 was updated some time ago (mid 1990s) to the P232, but the changes are so minimal that I've never understood why they even changed the designation. If you decide to purchase it yourself, you will have a very nice pistol. But if you want a small carry piece, there are better options than the P230. There's also the European heel mag release.   As for quality/reliability, I can't think of any problems reported with P230/232s off the top of my head.

I have wanted a P230/232 (in stainless with Hogue finger groove grips) for a long time. I will own one at some point. But it doesn't serve a purpose for me other than range toy. So it's lower on the list than some others.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, the info is much appreciated....<><....:)
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The P230 is a damned fine pistol. The only issue I can see someone having with it is that it's a .380. That can be an issue for several reasons:
-  the P230 is a rather large pistol compared to current .380 offerings. These days you sacrifice the "duty" caliber for something you can slip into your pocket. The P230 isn't a pocket pistol
-  as with many .380s (especially older designs), the P230 is a direct blowback design. The barrel is fixed and there is no part of the action to slow the equal and opposite reaction other than the weight of the slide and the heavy recoil spring. This means you will experience more felt recoil and it will be more difficult to manipulate the slide.
-  the P230 is a .380, so there's the whole underpowered argument, which I'm not going to get into.

The P320 was updated some time ago (mid 1990s) to the P232, but the changes are so minimal that I've never understood why they even changed the designation. If you decide to purchase it yourself, you will have a very nice pistol. But if you want a small carry piece, there are better options than the P230. There's also the European heel mag release.   As for quality/reliability, I can't think of any problems reported with P230/232s off the top of my head.

I have wanted a P230/232 (in stainless with Hogue finger groove grips) for a long time. I will own one at some point. But it doesn't serve a purpose for me other than range toy. So it's lower on the list than some others.
View Quote

The story I've heard regarding the P230/P232 changes were there was a large order (Japanese Police?) and they wanted a few minor changes in the grip and slide serrations (maybe a few other small things). Because of the size of the order Sig just incorporated the changes into the design from there on out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one of these in stainless and the recoil is quite snappy.  It is a range toy for me as I have issues with the .380 cartridge.  It does feed both ball and HP ammo without any issues though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one in SS and it's a very slick pistol. They still go for $400 or more. However, regular replacement of recoil spring is mandatory ( 500 rds or so). If you intend to shoot +p or max saami ammo, there is a wolff recoil spring kit with 3 different weights to allow you to "tune" the recoil to your desired feel. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/835603/wolff-recoil-calibration-spring-pack-sig-sauer-p230-p232-380-acp  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks...a question though, regular replacement of the recoil spring every 500 rounds? WOW, you would think they would use a better spring!!! Is there someplace I can go to read
about the recoil spring replacement? Is that a Sig suggested policy or an aftermarket decision? I sure don't want a handgun that requires  that much TLC to keep functioning....<><....:)
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I was looking at some +P ammo (Buffalo I think, max saami pressure) for mine, and wondered about the "correct" recoil spring pressure, and ran into some internet chatter about it. Remember this is a fixed barrel blowback gun with nothing resisting the recoil pressure except the mass of the slide and the spring tension. I saw complaints about the factory spring on the net and apparently even Sig was forced to acknowledge  by recommending replacement at 1000-1500 rounds. I said 500 to be conservative, as I carry it as my backup piece, and the spring is only $7 and takes mere seconds to replace. Trust me, the gun (or at least my old german made stainless one) is a slick, smooth, DA crisp SA, steel-frame, fine example of craftmanship. With practice you can literally drive tacks with it. To me it's only shortcoming is it's a .380. Which can be partially offset with +p ammo. (see where this is going?) Buy it, you'll like it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, I did buy it since the start of this thread. Now to get a new and stiffer spring I guess...Thanks....<><....:)
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Amazing gun! Check out my review on it! LOVE THAT TRIGGER!

https://plus.google.com/u/1/109529021340310197201/posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnWitVBG0eQ&list=UU6Mp3PafZHCF1ZfHNEUEUnQ
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those reviews are of the P320. I am looking for the P230...Thanks and Merry CHRISTmas....<><....:)
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:52:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a P230, but it is a .32 ACP (special run I think...)

I like it, but just watch your fleshy part of your hand for slide bite...  When you grip too high up, the slide going back can slice ya if you don't watch it.

It's about shot placement and weapon controllablity.  If ya can't hit what you are aiming for, what good is it???  Practice with it, from drawing from concealment to follow up shots....I know, some if not most ranges, don't allow drawing from the holster....

I don't like double action, usually I cock the hammer, then shoot.  Never have been a fan of ANY double action.....too heavy of a pull for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top