Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 6:32:04 AM EDT
Does anyone have any first hand experience with this hand gun?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:33:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I came here to offer nearly no advice

I've got a stamped-slide P228...nearly the same thing man. You ever shot a 228?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one of the TB models, what do you need to know?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm looking at getting another handgun and I'm weighing the options.

Just general information. How does it shoot? Does it only like certain ammo? etc.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I came here to offer nearly no advice

I've got a stamped-slide P228...nearly the same thing man. You ever shot a 228?
View Quote

An M11A1 is a P229 without a rail and P228 grip panels
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just general information. How does it shoot? Does it only like certain ammo? etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it shoots fine with everything I've put through it. I have not had a failure using any over the counter ammo I've tried. I primarily use Fiocci and Federal Subsonics. As for how it shoots it shoots pretty well. If you are used to Sig P series ergos then the apple doesn't fall very far from that tree. It has a pretty chunky grip but nothing ridiculous. The SRT trigger is pretty sweet.

I bought it to be a suppressor host and with my Gemtech Multimount it is a pretty good shooter. Not a ton of blowback and it retains its accuracy well with the can on. The price range the M11-A1 sits in, particularly the TB model, is kind of high when compared to other makes with similar features. But for that price you get the Sig SRT trigger, night sights, a factory threaded barrel and a few gimmick features like the QR code sticker and the internal anti corrosion finish (admittedly the anti corrosion finish isn't a "gimmick" per se like the sticker).

As has already been said it is not a true M11 or 228, it is a redressed 229 and there is no actual military designation of M11-A1, it is a made up Sig number. A long time back around 2000 / 2001 I owned a real West German P228 with the folded carbon slide. I liked that gun but I eventually traded it away. I was hoping to recapture the feel and performance of it with the M11-A1 and for the most part it does the job. There are subtle dimensional differences (due to the M11-A1 being a 229 variant) but unless you have both pistols side by side you probably won't notice them.

All in all it is a good pistol... is it worth a price premium over a standard P229? I figure once you add up all the extra features it probably is worth it dollar for dollar, but if those extra features are something you actually want or not is the hinge.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Will   the M11-A1  take  magazines designed for the P226 ... Specifically the  MEC-Gar 18 round model ?

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Will   the M11-A1  take  magazines designed for the P226 ... Specifically the  MEC-Gar 18 round model ?  
View Quote

I just slid an 18 rounder in my M11-A1 and it fits, but quite a bit of slop. I wouldn't consider it reliable since you can manipulate the magazine in all directions, including up and down. Others may chime in with more experience. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I just slid an 18 rounder in my M11-A1 and it fits, but quite a bit of slop. I wouldn't consider it reliable since you can manipulate the magazine in all directions, including up and down. Others may chime in with more experience. Good luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M11A1 uses P229-1 mags, which are wider because the P229 uses the same frame for both 9mm and .40 S&W models, unlike the narrower P226 and P228 frames which are 9mm only, hence why a P226 flops around when inserted into the M11A1. The M11A1 is not a P228....
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The M11A1 uses P229-1 mags, which are wider because the P229 uses the same frame for both 9mm and .40 S&W models, unlike the narrower P226 and P228 frames which are 9mm only, hence why a P226 flops around when inserted into the M11A1. The M11A1 is not a P228....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That answers a question I had.  I really wanted to get a M11-A1 to go with my Mk-25, just could not figure why it felt so big in my hand.  Bigger frame, did not know that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That answers a question I had.  I really wanted to get a M11-A1 to go with my Mk-25, just could not figure why it felt so big in my hand.  Bigger frame, did not know that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just get yourself a bonafide P228. The only reason the get a P229 is if you really need the rail for a light. There is nothing wrong with the M11-A1 but if you have a MK25 already then I would opt for the P228 so that the MK25/P226 mags can be used in the P228 (they will stick out past the grip though, like putting a Glock 17 mag in a G19).

Besides, NOTHING balances like a stamped-slide P228.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I would probably just go with a 229... It really doesnt offer a lot more than the 229 does. When I first picked up my m11a1 about 2 years I had nothing put problems with it, so i sent it back to Sig. It turned out it had a bad extractor and other issues that needed repaired (sorry dont remember what they all were.) Out of 4 Sigs I own this was the only one that has had problems. I have heard a few people saying they have had the same extractor issues with their m11a1's, but I cant confirm its not just gun shop bullshit. I have also noticed the trigger on my m11a1 seems a whole lot heavier and stiff then my 226 and 229 so i dont know if maybe this has to do with the phosphate coating on the internals? After about 2000 rounds, the trigger has gotten better and it has ran flawless since returning from Sig. I have quite a few 226 mags laying around so I typically run a few of those in my m11a1 when I go to the range and the 226 mags have ran fine. Just my .02 cents....
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like the pistol. I've owned two and been issued several when I was on active duty and
ARNG. The trigger on the M11 was a whole lot better than a Beretta.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I really like the pistol. I've owned two and been issued several when I was on active duty and
ARNG. The trigger on the M11 was a whole lot better than a Beretta.
View Quote

Just FYI, the M11A1 ain't an M11.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#15]
It appears that SIG   does not   any longer manufacture the P228.
They have  just installed P228 grips on the M11-A1.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
What holsters have you tried ?

Have you tried firing it after leaving  in the freezer a couple hours ?

A primed case will  do for testing, if you  haven't a clearing barrel handy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top