Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2014 9:27:35 PM EDT
There has been quite a bit of discussion regarding the Army's new handgun trials. This time it's the MHS: modular handgun system. An attempt to do with pistols what was done with rifles; replace a bunch of aging systems (M9, P226, 1911s, Glocks, M11) with a single handgun adaptable to any organizational need like the Army did when they replaced various rifles and SMGs with the stoner platform.

Here's Sig entrant:
http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2014/10/13/sig-sauer-p320-mhs-edition/?repeat=w3tc
I had the opportunity to work on the P320 project when it hit it's 2nd development generation. The mechanical accuracy is great, the trigger is fantastic, and like the P250 it was incredibly reliable.

I'm putting a bunch of work into my M&P. But the P320 has a ton of potential and I'd like to see it do well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
This gun has had me intrigued and the price is very attractive
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This gun has had me intrigued and the price is very attractive
View Quote

That's the thing. To get a Glock or M&P to have the inherant mechanical accuracy and trigger quality of the P320 you have to put some money into them.

No not mention that business again. He has been banned for being a NPD-Dog1 has a lot of insight on the gun and only good to say. We're only at the beginning of the evolution of this gun's modularity. And it's a very simple gun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:54:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I love my 320, I just wish they would start selling threaded barrels.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like the look of that slide release. What other companies are in this? Article didnt say.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I really like the look of that slide release. What other companies are in this? Article didnt say.
View Quote

No idea.

I'm fairly certain that rumors have been that the VP9 was also developed partially for this competition.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

They've been selling P320 barrels for a few years prior to the release of the P320

P250 barrels are the same as the P320
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the 320 a lot. Great grip feel and an awesome trigger. I've been wanting one. But I also really want the vp9. I want to test them against my glock 17 and see what I like best.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Are the 320 and 250 mags interchangeable?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are the 320 and 250 mags interchangeable?
View Quote

Exact same mags
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like the 320 a lot. Great grip feel and an awesome trigger. I've been wanting one. But I also really want the vp9. I want to test them against my glock 17 and see what I like best.
View Quote

Same here but add a PPQ 5inch. All 3 would be just perfect.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing I don't like about the ppq trigger is how far back it breaks. That's my only real gripe with it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I look at the 320 as an improved version of the 250.  My female cousin bought a compact 9mm 250 as her first handgun.  It shot to typical Sig accuracy, but the tirgger was looonnnnggg and was nowhere near as nice to shoot as my P228 I had there with me.  

I am putting the 320 on my "want" list.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They've been selling P320 barrels for a few years prior to the release of the P320

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but I have a full size 320 and Sig only lists compact threaded barrels.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I think it is the gun to beat.

I am an aficionado of the P250 as some here know and cannot say enough good about the Gen 2 P250's.

The P320 is the next best thing for folks who cannot shoot DAO.

I believe this is the next gun our mil will purchase when it gravitates away from the Beretta, if it actually does in the next century.  LOL.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I talked to an officer with the Army pistol program several months back. It looked as if the M&P was going to be the gun to beat (at least on paper) but now with this little guy... we have a real competition. I like and own both platforms and I can't even choose.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I talked to an officer with the Army pistol program several months back. It looked as if the M&P was going to be the gun to beat (at least on paper) but now with this little guy... we have a real competition. I like and own both platforms and I can't even choose.
View Quote

I am falling in love with my M&P, but out of the box it was a 70% solution that was passable but didn't excite me. I did a bunch of stippling and put an Apex FSS in it to get it (mostly) where I want it. I'm not the worlds best pistol shooter, but I'm good enough to know that my M&P is not the most inherently accurate handgun out there. The newer guns are reportedly better all-around.

The P320 just truely fits the "Modular" part of MHS. Like the AR most units will get a single version, but depending on use they can easily be reconfigured. They're also much more mechanically accurate than my M&P.

I'd be happy with either, but I'd also like to see what other entrants are out there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#17]
My department is in transition and is about to replace our Glock 22s/27s and it looks like the P320 is going to get the nod. We used to carry the P229 in .40 but we switched to the G22 about 6 years ago. I can tell you this, I shot the P320 better in qualifying having never sent a practice round down range than I shot my G22 I have had for several years.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My department is in transition and is about to replace our Glock 22s/27s and it looks like the P320 is going to get the nod. We used to carry the P229 in .40 but we switched to the G22 about 6 years ago. I can tell you this, I shot the P320 better in qualifying having never sent a practice round down range than I shot my G22 I have had for several years.
View Quote

That's the kind if stuff I've been hearing about both the P320 and the VP9. It really sounds like gun makers are starting to understand their own product development and the end user.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
My 2cts, I got my first P226 back around 1986 which supplanted an Italian made Beretta 92F that I had just gotten, shortly after that I added a second one,
I ended up expending around 20,000rds through both of those german made P226's and swore I'd never carry anything else on the job. Fast forward to 1991
the .40 S&W arrives on the scene and LE scrambles to get on board, Glock offers the first pistols chambered for it and off we go, the P226's get sold and I run
a G22 for the next 20+ years through three generations with a flawless track record, especially when it counted most.
Now as you may know that many years running glock will seriously mess you up for using anything else, mostly because of how unique the ergonomics are,
love them or hate them, once you really get used to them it's very tough to retrain yourself and everything else then feels weird in comparison.
So when the P320 came out I dismissed it as just another P226 with a plastic frame and a shit trigger like any stock glock, then I started hearing around the
campfire from agencies that had T&E units how much they were raving about them, so I found a shop that had both full and compact size in stock and set about
a nice fingerbang session. I thought the high bore axis would be a dealbreaker but it wasn't even a factor, then I figured it would point low due to my habitual
reliance on the more aggressive glock grip angle, again this wasn't the case it lined up instantly and naturally. Then the trigger, well I'll sum it up by saying it's
better than anything I've ever tried in the aftermarket for glock including ghost, taran and glocktriggers, half the amount of take up, ten times as crisp with what
feels to me like a 40% shorter reset. So I ordered a full size and some trijicon HD's the next day. It got here and my trigger is a little firmer than the one I sampled
but just as crisp and short, no shooting yet but I've been handling it non stop and I'm starting to think this pistol could be a game changer for sig, one that could
recapture a massive chunk of the LE market that glock has a stranglehold on. I'm waiting for a set of trijicon HD's and some more mags before I begin my own
T&E but it will start this week, I wont even begin to comment until I have at least a thousand down the pipe, but I have a feeling about this gun, something I haven't
felt in ohhhh 20 years or so, if the functional reliability is up to 226 levels then sig better do some hiring, cause LE is going to flock to this thing like pizza at a 420 festival

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My 2cts, I got my first P226 back around 1986 which supplanted an Italian made Beretta 92F that I had just gotten, shortly after that I added a second one,
I ended up expending around 20,000rds through both of those german made P226's and swore I'd never carry anything else on the job. Fast forward to 1991
the .40 S&W arrives on the scene and LE scrambles to get on board, Glock offers the first pistols chambered for it and off we go, the P226's get sold and I run
a G22 for the next 20+ years through three generations with a flawless track record, especially when it counted most.
Now as you may know that many years running glock will seriously mess you up for using anything else, mostly because of how unique the ergonomics are,
love them or hate them, once you really get used to them it's very tough to retrain yourself and everything else then feels weird in comparison.
So when the P320 came out I dismissed it as just another P226 with a plastic frame and a shit trigger like any stock glock, then I started hearing around the
campfire from agencies that had T&E units how much they were raving about them, so I found a shop that had both full and compact size in stock and set about
a nice fingerbang session. I thought the high bore axis would be a dealbreaker but it wasn't even a factor, then I figured it would point low due to my habitual
reliance on the more aggressive glock grip angle, again this wasn't the case it lined up instantly and naturally. Then the trigger, well I'll sum it up by saying it's
better than anything I've ever tried in the aftermarket for glock including ghost, taran and glocktriggers, half the amount of take up, ten times as crisp with what
feels to me like a 40% shorter reset. So I ordered a full size and some trijicon HD's the next day. It got here and my trigger is a little firmer than the one I sampled
but just as crisp and short, no shooting yet but I've been handling it non stop and I'm starting to think this pistol could be a game changer for sig, one that could
recapture a massive chunk of the LE market that glock has a stranglehold on. I'm waiting for a set of trijicon HD's and some more mags before I begin my own
T&E but it will start this week, I wont even begin to comment until I have at least a thousand down the pipe, but I have a feeling about this gun, something I haven't
felt in ohhhh 20 years or so, if the functional reliability is up to 226 levels then sig better do some hiring, cause LE is going to flock to this thing like pizza at a 420 festival
View Quote

Good little post and story.  Interesting journey there.

If all you need to be sold on now is reliability, and if the 320 is as reliable as its close cousins, my Gen 2 P250's, you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, we will see.

And I notice the slide release on the MHS entrants are different from the production model in a good way, I can tell
it will offer a better purchase for guys who like to thumb release, another area where the 226 is superior. I'll get on the
horn with sig tomorrow and get some of those to replace the slick shiny ones coming on the production guns. Actually
it looks like they dropped the 226/228 slide release in those to coincide with the manual safety.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I totally want the MHS pistol. Hopefully Sig releases it to the public, like FN did with the FNP-45 Tactical.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I totally want the MHS pistol. Hopefully Sig releases it to the public, like FN did with the FNP-45 Tactical.
View Quote

As much as I sing the praises of the P250/P320, and am glad the thing here is set up for .gov/.mil perusal, I don't want one.

The safety is ridiculous on this system pistol.

Only a mil spec would require such an appendage on a gun designed to be quite  complete without it, like painting the hooves on a mule, except the paint on the mule's hooves don't cause it to trip.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

As much as I sing the praises of the P250/P320, and am glad the thing here is set up for .gov/.mil perusal, I don't want one.

Only a mil spec would require such an appendage on a gun designed to be quite  complete without it, like painting the hooves on a mule, except the paint on the mule's hooves don't cause it to trip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's been interesting is that from the beginning they've planed for this pistol top be whatever an organization or individual needs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What's been interesting is that from the beginning they've planed for this pistol top be whatever an organization or individual needs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are exactly right and that is one of the reasons I think this gun is going to give Glock some real heartburn.

Go SIG!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#27]
First 200 down the pipe today, also got to compare it directly to a VP9, the one area where I liked the VP9 better was the grip, in my
opinion there's simply nothing else out there that compares ergonomically to that grip it just feels like it was molded for your hand.
Beyond that, 320 had less takeup, crisper wall and break and a shorter crisper reset. Right away I confirmed accuracy is on par with
the P226 which is a massive statement for this design, I was immediately more accurate and more efficient on back to back drills than
my glock, doubles and triples were so much easier and more intuitive than my ghost evo elite equipped glock, the bore axis just kind
of disappears once underway, I couldn't load the mags fast enough it was so addictive to shoot, I let some other guys try it that had
never seen one before and the unanimous takeaway that kept being repeated was, "that trigger". More to come after the next session
but in the meantime here's a shot from today now set up for work with trijicon HD's and TLR, gonna call blackpoint in the AM to get
a holster molded up, it's almost silly to hear myself say this after just a brief shakedown but I sense that my glocks are in serious
jeopardy of a forced retirement, time and more rounds will tell........

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Hope they do some factory threaded models soon.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:59:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Threaded barrels are on the P320 mini site under accessories.

So now I have the compact as planned, obviously I love the full size but this one is just amazing, most folks
will agree the G19 is the most polarizing glock and the one most often chosen if you can only choose one.
I've always agreed with that, but this 320 compact is MY definition of perfection, never in a million years
would have thought anything could relegate my G19 to safe queen status but here we are, damn this thing
is sweet.

Here's a side by side, this is a comparison that's going to be made a whole lot in the future.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:09:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Threaded barrels are on the P320 mini site under accessories.

So now I have the compact as planned, obviously I love the full size but this one is just amazing, most folks
will agree the G19 is the most polarizing glock and the one most often chosen if you can only choose one.
I've always agreed with that, but this 320 compact is MY definition of perfection, never in a million years
would have thought anything could relegate my G19 to safe queen status but here we are, damn this thing
is sweet.

Here's a side by side, this is a comparison that's going to be made a whole lot in the future.

http:// http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/OMEGANOX/G19-P320C_zpse94ae070.jpg
View Quote

Aww hell yeah! Patiently awaiting the FDE version....then I'll be getting a threaded barrel for it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:51:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice pic.

So the P320 comes in a FS and compact model for now, with a sub-compact model on the way, and at least the FS and compact frames come in three different grip sizes. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nice pic.

So the P320 comes in a FS and compact model for now, with a sub-compact model on the way, and at least the FS and compact frames come in three different grip sizes. Is that correct?
View Quote

I think you are right for now but at some point the 320's will catch up with the 250's and have three size guns; Subcompact, Compact {called "Carry" in P320} and Full Size.  Then within those, three sizes of module.  {unless the subcompact only has 2, not sure.  I don't know if there is a "Large" Subcompact module}.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Go here and select the P320, all kinds of info>  http://sigevolution.com and politically correct video.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Go here and select the P320, all kinds of info>  http://sigevolution.com and politically correct video.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Full size top compact bottom vvv

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top