Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2014 3:40:08 AM EDT
I just got a new P226-SP and the supplier told my FFL (Father in law) that this pistol has the SRT installed.  First sig I have owned but I do not think it does.  The reset on my 15 year old Ruger p90 is shorter.  Anyway, I took a pic and I am hoping that someone will be able to help me out.  I have tried looking online for some help, but with being unfamiliar with the guns I am having a hard time figuring out for sure.  I did call Sig and they said that since it is a SP they have no idea what is in it.  Hard to believe, but that is what they told me...

Thanks.
Phil
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:54:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I just installed an SRT in a P227 last night and I don't think yours has it installed. I circled a part of the safety lever that looks like a stock one and what causes the longer reset.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, thanks.  I really do not think it does, but the only pics I could find of it were terrible, and older threads did not have pics anymore.

Thanks!
Phil
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Stock Safety:

Stock Sear:

SRT Safety (left) & Sear (right):

Really hard to tell from your pic (at least on my monitor...), but you'll notice that the SRT sear has an extra horizontal protrusion and the SRT safety has a much longer leg that drops down.

ETA:  In terms of orientation - both safeties pictured are upside down.  That is to say, the hole in the corner will have the pin going through it at the top of the frame, toward the hammer....and the longer leg of the SRT sear drops straight down toward the mag well....from the hole forward, the little part that turns up at the end points forward toward the muzzle and straight up toward the slide.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#4]
DDGdrvr - If it is not to big of a hassle, could you take a pic of your just so I can see the difference and show my father in law.

If it is a hassle, do not worry about it.

Thanks,
Phil
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll see if I can get a picture this evening if you still need one. I'll just have to wrestle with the E2 grips a little to get them off again :)

DISCLOSURE: I am in no way a gunsmith or expert on this

Honestly though you will be able to tell when you have one installed. If your trigger moves more than a cm or two to reset than there isn't one installed.

This archived link may help some. About half way down you will see the difference between the parts. The thing I circled looks like the front foot of the stock safety.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=5&f=14&t=118625
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah -- much better pic at the link above:
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll see if I can get a picture this evening if you still need one. I'll just have to wrestle with the E2 grips a little to get them off again :)

DISCLOSURE: I am in no way a gunsmith or expert on this

Honestly though you will be able to tell when you have one installed. If your trigger moves more than a cm or two to reset than there isn't one installed.

This archived link may help some. About half way down you will see the difference between the parts. The thing I circled looks like the front foot of the stock safety.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=5&f=14&t=118625
View Quote

Let me pass on some super expert advice from someone that has owned a sig for 48 hours :).  When I was trying to get the E2 grips off mine I was cussing up a storm.  I was using the tool that came with the gun, but I could get one side off, then when I tried to get the other side off the first side would pop back on.  So I stuck a toothpick under the first side, then did the second side.  It came right off.  This morning when I went to take them off again to take the pic, I used the toothpick again and it took me about 10 seconds to get the grip off.  Going to go check out that link now.  Thanks!

Phil
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:11:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah -- much better pic at the link above:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=35504
View Quote

Thank you for the pic.  My problem is that I am having a hard time identifying those parts on my gun.  Probably is not nearly as hard as I am making this out to be, but I am just not sure what the heck I am looking at.  I think I know, but I want to be sure.  None of my friends around here are Sig people so I cannot just go and have one of them show me.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

Phil
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Just take the whole thing apart

There are a lot of parts but it is actually easy and the directions in that link are pretty good.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just take the whole thing apart

There are a lot of parts but it is actually easy and the directions in that link are pretty good.

View Quote

Those are some very detailed instruction.  I really would not mind taking it apart, but I want to get it out and shoot it at least once first.

Phil
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Simple test:

You're going to dry fire your pistol.  It will not hurt your pistol to do so.

1)  Drop and remove the magazine
2)  Pull slide back to check to make sure chamber is clear and pistol is unloaded
3)  Release slide and cock the hammer (if not already cocked)
4)  Fully depress trigger, and keep it depressed....do not release
5)  Hammer will have dropped
ETA:  Now re-rack slide to re-cock hammer, while keeping trigger fully depressed
6)  Now SLOWLY release pressure on trigger
7)  As you SLOWLY release the pressure on the trigger you will feel a subtle but distinct "click".   That "click" is the reset point.

If that click occurs after only 1/4 of the triggers forward travel = SRT
If that click occurs after 2/3 to 3/4 of the triggers forward travel = Stock
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:51:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Simple test:

2)  Pull slide back to check to make sure chamber is clear and pistol is unloaded
7)  As you SLOWLY release the pressure on the trigger you will feel a subtle but distinct "click"  That "click" is the reset point.

View Quote

Thanks for that.  I will try and measure the reset when I get home.  Like I stated in the OP, I thought that the reset seemed to be LONG, but I will try and measure it.  Something else that I can mention right now is that after reset there is still a decent amount of takeup left before getting to the point where the hammer will drop.  I would imagine that with the SRT installed there would be very little amount of takeup.  If I have the time today I will go home for lunch and mess with it.  I am not getting anything done at work today anyway, because this is making me nuts trying to figure it out :).

Phil
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I left out a step.  ****See revision below!

Quoted:
Simple test:

**** Now re-rack slide to re-cock hammer while still holding trigger fully depressed
7)  As you SLOWLY release the pressure on the trigger you will feel a subtle but distinct "click".   That "click" is the reset point.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#14]
In this picture, you can see the extended ledge of the SRT sear.  In your picture I can't see this present, so my guess is that you do not have the SRT installed.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In this picture, you can see the extended ledge of the SRT sear.  In your picture I can't see this present, so my guess is that you do not have the SRT installed.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x167/50-140/DSC01213_zps0ae42997.jpg
View Quote

Awesome.  Thank you!

(I UPDATED MY PIC IN THE OP WITH A CROPPED VERSION TO MAKE IT EASIER TO SEE)

Phil
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, I just uploaded a video of the reset.  But after looking at the parts more closely I am 100% sure that I have the standard trigger reset.  But here is the video anyway.

http://youtu.be/BYJzV7tVXbc

Thank you again to everyone for the help.

Phil
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Your supplier owes you $50.00 (parts) + installation for an SRT  (SIG charges $99 for a factory install......but you can do it yourself)  

TopGunSupply and MidwayUSA are currently out of the 226-SRT kit.   However --- The SRT kits for the 239 and the 220 have IDENTICAL sears and safeties (and can be used in place of the 226 kit).
The 239 and 220 kits ARE in stock at TGS.   DO NOT order the p227-kit....that one is slightly different from what I've heard.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Your supplier owes you $50.00 (parts) + installation for an SRT  (SIG charges $99 for a factory install......but you can do it yourself)  

TopGunSupply and MidwayUSA are currently out of the 226-SRT kit.   However --- The SRT kits for the 239 and the 220 have IDENTICAL sears and safeties (and can be used in place of the 226 kit).
The 239 and 220 kits ARE in stock at TGS.   DO NOT order the p227-kit....that one is slightly different from what I've heard.
View Quote

Awesome.  Thanks for the info on the kits!  

Phil
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I know it has been a little while, but wanted to post an update.  My Father in-law called his distributor (that told him the pistol had a SRT) and explained to them that it did not in fact have the SRT.  They said that there was nothing they could do for him and that he should call Sig.  He called Sig and they told him that since it was a SP pistol there really isn't anything that it is "supposed" to have.  We were kind of hoping that they would just send him a SRT kit at no cost, but no dice.  Personally I did not think that Sig should have had to do it, I think that the distributor should have ponied up for the part and sent it to him.  Anyway, Sig told him that he could buy the part if he wanted.  So he bought 3 kits.  One for my pistol and two for his.  He got them in last week and shipped me one.  I just got mine yesterday and hope to get it installed tonight or tomorrow after work.

Phil
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm surprised to see the new kits listed as both 226 & 227, as I had heard the 227 required a slightly different sized part. (I don't have a 227)  Guess they worked that out.

Regardless, let me know if you have any trouble with the install....I've done more than a few of them and would be happy to walk you through it
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#21]
The SRT kit was super easy to install.  Well that is what I thought anyway.  Everything went so smoothly that I was excited to get the slide back on and feel the difference.  I put the slide on and immediately realized I forgot to reset the sear spring under the roll pin.  So needless to say I bent the sear spring.  Going to call a couple of shops today and see if anyone has one.  Hopefully I can pick one up locally because I was planning a range trip to check it out tomorrow.

Phil
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:45:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The SRT kit was super easy to install.  Well that is what I thought anyway.  Everything went so smoothly that I was excited to get the slide back on and feel the difference.  I put the slide on and immediately realized I forgot to reset the sear spring under the roll pin.  So needless to say I bent the sear spring.  Going to call a couple of shops today and see if anyone has one.  Hopefully I can pick one up locally because I was planning a range trip to check it out tomorrow.

Phil
View Quote

D'OH!

This is what you seek....
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phil

D'OH!

That is it.  I am quite frustrated with myself for goofing up something so simple.  Oh well, it is just one more mistake to add to the learned list.  My list is quite extensive

Phil
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is it.  I am quite frustrated with myself for goofing up something so simple.  Oh well, it is just one more mistake to add to the learned list.  My list is quite extensive

Phil
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Phil

D'OH!

Phil

Yes, but as you climb the learning curve you gain the satisfaction of having solved the problem yourself
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:04:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Yes, but as you climb the learning curve you gain the satisfaction of having solved the problem yourself
View Quote

I agree, which is why I like working on things myself.  Even if/when I screw them up I learn about how things work.  Going shooting today and really wanted to be able to take the 226 with me, but it will be staying home today.  The new spring will be here on Monday.  I was able to bend the spring back enough to get a couple of resets out of it.  I am very glad I went with the SRT, I am surprised Sig just does not put that in all their pistols.  

Phil
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#26]
I got the new Sear Spring in the mail yesterday and installed it this morning.  I have to say that the difference is significant and for the better.  Not sure why Sig does not just include this in all of their DA/SA pistols.  I just don't see any advantage to the long sloppy reset of the standard trigger.  

http://youtu.be/OHLH7bDccK4

Phil
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top