Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 7:34:43 PM EDT
Hey guys, new member, first post, first sig owned.
just wanted to convey my first experience with my "new" pistol.
I picked up a subcompact P250 at my local pawnshop on thursday
and just took it out today to do some shooting.
went through 190 rounds of Remington UMC, Winchester white box, and CCI Blazer.
of those 190 rounds, I experienced probably 20+ failure to feed.
while the shots were all accurate, it was frustrating having to rack the slide
after 1-2 shots. I even had 4 FTF's in one 10 round mag
I was wondering if anyone on here could give some insight.
It is a GEN 2 P250 subcompact in .40
I was told the usual by my roommate to polish the feed ramp but just wanted some better advice
Also told it could be the mag

Any help is much appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the site, you definitely have something wrong, not sure if you should send it to SIG or sell & cut your loss.  You certainly could try a mag change, my P250 runs 100% straight from the box. Assume since it was a pawn shop buy it is used, not sure what SIG's warranty policy is?

An old thread

ETA

In case you missed the P250 link
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your reply and the link to the older thread.
i really hope I can get this issue fixed because I would love
to have a working SIG instead of a paper weight. LOL
After talking to a few people (friends, gunshop owners, etc.)
I've narrowed it down to the magazine, recoil spring, and/or feed ramp.
I'm not too excited to shell out 50 bucks to ship a new mag
to my house but hey, who couldn't use a spare mag or 10.
If it keeps persisting then I'm gonna consider getting an x-change kit
for a compact, shaving down a compact grip module to fit my subcompact slide,
or getting rid of it. I also picked up a SHIELD in 9mm (gifting it to my GF)
but I might just keep it to replace my P250 if I can't fix the problem.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
37 buck mags,

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines.html?brand=363&p=3

Greg Cote another good source and so is Top Gun Supply.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again! I'm gonna be placing an order in the next couple of days
(waiting to hear back from a LEO friend of mine)
I also had another concern and it may be nothing but I'd better ask anyway.
When my slide is locked back, I have .25 in of play with the barrel.
I measured with a tape measure because it seemed like a lot of movement.
When the slide is forward, there is no play at all but only when the
slide is locked back. I don't know if this is common with sigs or other firearms
but my Shield has significantly less play with the barrel when the slide is locked back.
Any insight?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Without seeing what you are describing it is hard to say but a certain amount of play is normal, parts have to move back and forth as it cycles.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Understood. Thank you for your replies!
I ended up buying a compact frame and a compact magazine and hopefully
the new mag will work. I like the idea of having a "commander" size
for my sig.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Your post doesn't say... but hopefully you applied some grease to the rails. Straight out of the box it's not lubricated sufficiently.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Great choice, and a great DOA trigger. You did well kid
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Pat! I really like the trigger. My first gun is a Rossi .38 spl and that's the trigger I got used to.
and to Zoom, the gun was used and i took it home and cleaned/oiled it up especially cus I knew I wouldn't be shooting it for a couple days.
I'm still happy with my purchase and hopefully my problems will be fixed with the new compact magazine.
If not then I might spend some more money to have a gunsmith take a good long look at it
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

The P250 has been a non-performer from the start. It badly failed every testing by every LE agency that has tested it. For instance, when the ATF ran it against the Glock and M&P, it didn't hold up. The Glock had 12 failures, the M&P had 15 and the P250 had 56.

Through a series of back door dealings and bribes, which have recently come to light and are currently the subject of a Federal investigation, the P250 was nearly foisted upon the Federal Air Marshal Service. The pistols issued to field offices showed malfunctions in all 7 stages of the cycle of operations. Additionally, magazines would hang up and fail to feed and under extended firing the takedown lever would act as a heat sink. In one instance, the takedown lever became so hot it burned a hole in the tester's kydex holster.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The P250 has been a non-performer from the start. It badly failed every testing by every LE agency that has tested it. For instance, when the ATF ran it against the Glock and M&P, it didn't hold up. The Glock had 12 failures, the M&P had 15 and the P250 had 56.

Through a series of back door dealings and bribes, which have recently come to light and are currently the subject of a Federal investigation, the P250 was nearly foisted upon the Federal Air Marshal Service. The pistols issued to field offices showed malfunctions in all 7 stages of the cycle of operations. Additionally, magazines would hang up and fail to feed and under extended firing the takedown lever would act as a heat sink. In one instance, the takedown lever became so hot it burned a hole in the tester's kydex holster.
View Quote
Magazines frequently came apart from recoil as well. As colossal failure for the FAM service. I will never own a P250. The trigger alone makes it unbearable.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
did not know about the takedown lever taking in that much heat but I did know about
LE choosing not to use the p250. From what I understand, the second generation
(of which I have) has a few changes that corrected some (same takedown lever so I'm a little worried)
of the problems and just never tried to get a new contract. I wouldn't either if on the first try
I made such a bad impression. For my purposes, I think the gun will work fine when I get
it all worked out. I like the weight and feel of the gun and I don't plan on putting 500 rounds in 2 hours downrange so the heat
doesn't concern me too much and once I fill my gun fund back up I'm going with a smaller
profile 9mm or .40 like a shield (bought one for the GF) for a carry and keep the p250 as a house gun. I just got my new
compact grip module so I'm gonna shave it down to fit the subcompact slide. It fits a lot better
in my hand and feel more comfortable with a larger framed gun in the dead of night
Sorry for the long post...just had a lot to say. Lol
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:21:56 AM EDT
[#13]
While I don't personally like that model, I hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Haters right on schedule

I honestly understand the dislike by a lot of users, I mentioned this in a previous thread, I kind of fell into mine on GB, real cheap, auction ends in 2 minutes, something like that, it is a Sig it has to be good, right?

Long story short mine has been a good pistol. If I was you I would dump it before I started messing with a gunsmith, you could sell it for probably $300 and a new one can be had for the $350 range, it makes no sense to put money into the pistol.

P250 NIB sold 2 days ago at $350
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

You might want to make note that those were Gen1 guns. My agency tested them about that time and we all hated them too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine had a few ftf from the get go. That being said, a generous amount of tw25 and about 500 rounds took care of the problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top