Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2012 8:07:28 PM EDT
Alright. I just purchased a Sig Sauer P938 Extreme.

Took it out today and put a little over a 100 rounds through it. This thing is a jam-o-matic. Approximately two or three failures every magazine. I tried various ammunition and two different magazines. Same problems.

The weapon cycles and loads a round just fine. I had a few incidents where the slide did not fully return to battery. The hammer falls when the trigger is pulled, but it is having light primer strikes. Take a look at these shitty primer hits.

The weapon appears to be fully in battery. Sometimes slapping the back of the slide or grasping it and pushing it forward and manually re-cocking the hammer will give it enough to make enough contact with the round to ignite it. I am amazed that these hits even ignited the rounds. All of the brass looks like this. The extractor hook appears to be seated properly over the case rim when in battery. The rounds do not feel like they're jammed up in the barrel. Manual extraction is easy. Manually pushing the firing pin through the slide shows that it certainly has more than enough range to project and plant a solid firing pin hit. Inspection of the firing pin and spring appeared normal.

Anyone with one of these 938's have similar weak primer hits? Or is this one just FUBAR'd and destined to go back to the factory?

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
No one?

Can anyone at least verify that their P938 is leaving standard firing pin imprints on the primer?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Try taking the firing pin out and clean the firing pin channel out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep us updated. I really want a 938, just waiting for LGS to get it in.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Firing pin channel is clean. I manually cycled the firing pin in its channel and it moves through smoothly. It protrudes quite a bit from the face of the breech when pushed all the way in. Certainly more than that microscopic dimple that is present.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 938 Nightmare, ran 100 rds through it so far without issue.  It runs just like my 238 with a little more kick.  I experienced none of the issues you are reporting.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I would contact Sig and have it repaired.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#7]
picked up a 938 today. The primer strikes are fine and no failures whatsoever. A mix of PMC, Win White box and Herters steel case, again with no issues. Fired about one hundred rounds. I must say I thought this thing was going to jump out of my hand with the size and light weight. My dealer assured my that would not happen. Shoots great, really, I could shoot this all day. Not crazy about the serrated trigger, prefer a smooth, but thats my only gripe. Now to get a good holster. OP needs to ship that gun back to SIG, hope they make it right for you. Keep us posted, please
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Picked up an Extreme 2 weeks ago.  Took it out yesterday.  +/- 100 rounds through without a problem.
50 Speer Lawman 124g
21 Speer Gold Dot 124g
27 Winchester white box 115g

I was amazed at how smooth it was for a small pistol.  Accurate too.

My new favorite.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had one on order for some time now, starting to wonder if I'll ever see it. Local shops have had them but not the model I want (the "Rosewood" model, basically just a plain black gun with wood grips). No one has seen any yet, I have'nt even found them for sale online. Seems like the Sig website is the only place that shows it. While waiting, I've read numerous reports on them and don't recall any of them talking about the issues your having.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would contact Sig and have it repaired.

best advice

I had a SIG 556 give me problems with cycling a few years back..called SIG, sent it back, got my rifle back about two weeks later....runs like a top 2 years later.
never had an issue with SIG pistols.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've had one on order for some time now, starting to wonder if I'll ever see it. Local shops have had them but not the model I want (the "Rosewood" model, basically just a plain black gun with wood grips). No one has seen any yet, I have'nt even found them for sale online. Seems like the Sig website is the only place that shows it. While waiting, I've read numerous reports on them and don't recall any of them talking about the issues your having.

I here you on the Rosewood, I ordered mine in January, still havent seen it , But according to Sigs Facebook page they have started to ship the Rosewoods, so hopefully we will be seeing ours soon!
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Took the pistol to the shop I bought. We took it apart oiled it again. Ran some rounds into their snail trap. The primers are being hit properly now. We're not really sure what changed.

I'm going to take it out again on my days off to see if it resolved itself, or if it needs to head back to Sig.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Took the pistol to the shop I bought. We took it apart oiled it again. Ran some rounds into their snail trap. The primers are being hit properly now. We're not really sure what changed.

I'm going to take it out again on my days off to see if it resolved itself, or if it needs to head back to Sig.

Glad it's working now.
Sees to be a a lot of this going on lately
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:43:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Re: Rosewoods. I've had one on order for several months, and have only seen them on Sig's website as well. Finally last week two showed up on Gunbroker.com, so maybe they're finally shipping them.

Good to hear the OP's might be fixed. I've come to the conclusion that the first action taken with a new gun should be complete disassembly for adequate lubrication before use.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 1:22:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Took the 938 Extreme out again today. Same issue reared its head again –– It's going back to Sig.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Too bad, I LOVE mine! It has been 100% right from the box. The only exception; the trigger is not-so-good...and I hope it will smooth up with use.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 3:34:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Anybody had a trigger job done on theirs? I dry fired one at a gun show this weekend and it wasn't great.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an Extreme.  I have the same light strikes.  However, I have had no failures to fire.  I'll be interested in what Sig has to say about yours.

My only operational issue is an occasional failure to feed with Remington 115 gr jhp.  All other brands that I have so far tried have fed properly.

I also think the serated trigger sucks.  I'll change that out some day.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I picked up a 938 yesterday.  Ran about 50 rounds through it this morning.  No problems yet.  I love the looks, size, and weight of the gun.  

I ordered a N82 IWB holster, and a Bear Creek front pocket and OWB holster for mine.  Not sure which way I'll like carrying it best.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Took the 938 Extreme out again today. Same issue reared its head again –– It's going back to Sig.

Mine has not had any function issues at all with a variety of Win White Box FMJ and Ranger 147-grain JHP, Rem FMJ and Fed 124-grain JHP Hydra-Shock.  Spin it back to Sig and they'll fix it for you.

Trigger does seem to get better with use.  First guaged at 8+ pounds, but after the first hundred rounds is down to about 5.  I was going to start looking for somebody who could lighten it for me, but gonna wait a while on that now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I sent my p938 back to sig, per my dealer. I fired around 50rds had a few FTF and noticed the firing-pin stuck forward I pushed the pin by the hammer with a screwdriver and it popped out. I did not know there was suppose to be a firing block there. Anyhow, dealer called sig and was told that they have had problems with the firing pin block. Just took it in 11-15, will let you know how it works out!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:11:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Bought mine last week, no issues with it yet but only fired about 40 rounds through it. All strikes seem fine. I really like the way it feels but like the houge grip on my 238 better. guess I'll pick one up.  One thing I have two mags and in both I have a hard time getting all 6 rounds in. In fact I can not get 6 in and barely 5. First two or three load fine after that its fight on. Anyone having this problem or should I start working out again?
I will keep up with this thread as I am interested in what's wrong with op's gun. Keep us posted

Nov. 26  Well I took the advice given and loaded up the mags and let them sit for a day or two.  Bought the uplula loader (just in case) and a set of those houge grips. Grips are great little better feel to them then the standard grips.  Also loaded up my first 9mm rounds (10).  Starting with Hornady 124XTp over 4.5gr of Unique.  I did not have a crony but publish speed was about 1000fps, may be less with that short barrel. Was not concerned with groups and much as function and all went well. This little gun does throw a case back at you every once in a while but that could have been coming off the overhead.  I think with more work I am going to like this gun as an EDC. Now for that perfect holster
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a 938 Extreme a couple months ago and finally got around to shooting it. After reading what others have said on another forum, I loaded up each of the magazines it came with and let them sit for a couple of weeks. As a result, I experienced zero magazine related feeding issues and noticed a decrease in spring tension. Additionally I had ordered the Hogue rubber grips and am very pleased with them.

My shooting experience was great. I shot Remington 147 grain JHP, 115 grain PMC FMJ and 115 grain TulAmmo FMJ. I had zero issues after firing about 250 rounds. Not a single failure of any kind. Suprising actually. I expected the TulAmmo to give me some issues but there were none.  I felt like the Hogue grips offered great control and I was relatively happy with the sights.

I'm undecided on the manual safety.  I was able to disengage it and fire very easily but engaging the safety with my thumb while maintaining my grip was challenging.  

I've carried it concealed in a cheap BlackHawk IWB holster and couldn't be happier. Eventually I'd like to get a Cross Breed Mini-Tuck when I see one on their "seconds" website.

Overall, I feel like my $625 + tax was well spent.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I took my Extreme out for a trial run the other day and I was quite impressed with it. I ran 100 rounds of Speer 124 and a box of Remington HPs. There's only three things that I could complain about after the trip. The first is one round of the Speer ejected directly back and hit me square on the forehead giving me the tiniest of scratches but nothing too bad. Obviously this wouldn't be good in a gun fight but I was breaking the pistol in so I'm giving it the benefit if the doubt. The second was I had one round of HP that only half way ejected causing a major jam which couldn't be cleared with a traditional tap rack and bang. I had to pry the spent casing out with my thumb and then re insert the mag but the. She was good to go. My last complaint is that I somehow dropped my 9mm bore snake in the desert now I can't find it.  Oh well all in all it is a great little pistol. I like the trigger and the overall feel of the gun. Recoil is highly manageable even with +p HPs. The best part about the gun is the sights. I was shooting my buddies new production Colt Mustang and couldn't hit squat with it because of the low profile sights. Not a problem at all for the Sig.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I had someone bring one into the shop today with the same issue of light primer strikes. It is going back to Sig for warranty work tommorow.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#26]
The P938 has been back at Sig for several weeks now. Hopefully I'll have it back before Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Turn around time for me was about 10 working days and I have been very satisfied with their work.
While it's there, are you kicking for an action job? It makes a difference, but they are very conservative what they do with the trigger...liability I'm sure.
They crank out lotsa guns and do need extra work. But I have found they make them right and take care of their customers very well, imho.
I did cal a few times to ask about updates on work/return shipping and they didn't seem troubled to speak with me to get the information I needed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I asked them to remove the serrations from the trigger face. We'll see if they actually do it or not. The trigger pull wasn't bad. I didn't feel it needed to be any lighter. I didn't experience any of the gritty feelings that many have reported.

Also told them that it is partially ejecting rounds from the magazines after you've chambered a round. If you eject the magazine, the round is hanging half way out of the magazine.

I haven't bothered calling and hassling them about it yet. I imagine I'll hear something any day now. Once it's fixed, I'll throw down and buy a 10 pack of seven round magazines for it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Has the 938 come back yet? Any explanation what was wrong?
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry, still waiting.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, I picked up the pistol from my LGS today. Supposedly it is fixed. Sig didn't indicate what was done to the weapon to resolve the problems. Cursory inspection didn't show anything to indicate what work was performed. When I have a chance I'll shoot it again. I may test it later to ignt with some empties to see if it hits the primer harder than it was.

They did nothing to resolve the issue where ammunition falls out of the magazines when you chamber a round and eject the mag. They ignored the request to polish the feed ramp or to remove the serrations from the trigger face.

Honestly, I feel the Sig service has been pretty piss poor. If it isn't 100%, I'm getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Well I just had the same issue you did with the light strikes even on a 3rd strike

Guess mine is going back as well. I have a friend that has to shoot his now so we can send them in together (through the LGS)
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, I picked up the pistol from my LGS today. Supposedly it is fixed. Sig didn't indicate what was done to the weapon to resolve the problems. Cursory inspection didn't show anything to indicate what work was performed. When I have a chance I'll shoot it again. I may test it later to ignt with some empties to see if it hits the primer harder than it was.

They did nothing to resolve the issue where ammunition falls out of the magazines when you chamber a round and eject the mag. They ignored the request to polish the feed ramp or to remove the serrations from the trigger face.

Honestly, I feel the Sig service has been pretty piss poor. If it isn't 100%, I'm getting rid of it.

Wait..you sent a gun back in for repair work because the gun was having issues when bought. OK.. I understand being upset over having to send back a new gun but sometimes these things happen. Not sure what or how the magazine issue would be fixed. This sounds like a design issue. However, to ask SIg to do custom work and modifications on a gun when it is sent in for warranty serivce seems like you are expecting more then you should. Did you contact the custom shop and offer to pay for the custom work you requested? Take your gun out and see if the issue was fixed. If it is, I say Sig did what they should have done which ws fixed the issue you sent it in for. Sorry if I misunderstood your post but not sure how Sig not doing free custom work when a gun is sent in for warranty work equals poor customer service.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm not overly upset about it. Their communications was pretty poor. There was nothing in the box but the gun. No work order or receipt outlining what was done. It would be nice to be able to tell others who are experiencing this problem where to look.

The magazine issue is hit and miss for some. Pretty sad when a 700+ dollar guns pukes its ammo out of its own magazine any time it is ejected.

I indicated I would pay for the cost of the custom work. Seems they weren't interested in mixing warranty and custom work.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:28:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I purchased a P938 Rosewood and just sent it back to Sig today for light primer strikes :-(... Btw anyone with a P938 Extreme or anyone wanting Rosewood grips let me know. I am looking to trade my rosewood grips for the extreme grips.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought a 938 with a birth date around mid december 2012. and just was at the range and broke it in with 500-600 rounds. not a single FTF or FTE and this was with the super cheap walmart 115 PPU ammo. so they must have updated them.
I guess i got lucky.

my only complaint is the trigger, so i have it at a GS right now getting a polish job. hopefully that helps and knocks it down a lbs or two.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Apparently a colt .380 trigger fits right into the p938 and its aluminum and much smoother because the stock triggers and plastic
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Just got it back tonight after a polish job and now it breaks at a tad below 5lbs! Not bad for 35.00! :) loving it now much smoother and crisp snap to it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Bought a P938 two months ago, and had numerous failures to feed and light primer strikes.  Gun was just unusable.  Sent it back to Sig and they replaced the barrel, and worked on the trigger.  I fired 100 rounds of FMJ through it today without a hitch, until the very end of my session, I ran some hotter defense ammo through it, and started getting light primer strikes and failures to fire.  Once it started it seemed every primer strike was light.  Went back to the formerly foolproof FMJ ammo, and every round was light primer strikes with failures to fire.  Very disappointing.  The firing pin channel was somewhat dirty, but it is just not a very forgiving gun to any slight mis-adjustment.  The hammer just does not fall very hard, I think.

Will fire some more tomorrow and see what happens.

Link Posted: 2/23/2013 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Update:

After cleaning the gun, I had no further issues the next day.  It seems that the pistol firing pin channel had gotten dirty with small bits of metal from a pierced primer that caused the light primer strikes.  I believe that Sig has repaired the pistol properly, and I look forward to carrying it now.  I will say that, as long as it keeps functioning, it is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.  It is very controllable for such a small package.  Sig did a great job cleaning up the trigger, with a somewhat heavy, but clean break.  Because of the excellent single action trigger, I am able to hit better with it than my PM9.  This may become a new favorite if it keeps working.  Thanks to Sig for making the repairs to get it right.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Keep them clean and lubed!

150-250 rounds, no FTF,FTE, nothing, nada

My new goto your rifle, pocket gun
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I have an extreme too.  I got it in December.  

I've taken it out to the range 6 times.  About 200 rounds through it.
Has shot everything without a failure to fire but....

The last two trips it started ejecting right into my forehead.

The first time I thought maybe it was the ammo.
Today I took several different types of ammo with me.  Everything went bang and ejected right at my head.

Called Sig.  They said send it back and they'll check it out.  They haven't heard of this problem before.

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I have put maybe 150 rounds through my P938 with virtually no issues other than I don't always slam the magazine in hard enough and it pops out. My problem not the gun. I also have a P238 and they shoot identicaly. Love both of them. The P238 is more comfortable in an ankle holster. The P938 a bit heavy on the ankle. Either one is great in a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have an extreme too.  I got it in December.  

I've taken it out to the range 6 times.  About 200 rounds through it.
Has shot everything without a failure to fire but....

The last two trips it started ejecting right into my forehead.

The first time I thought maybe it was the ammo.
Today I took several different types of ammo with me.  Everything went bang and ejected right at my head.

Called Sig.  They said send it back and they'll check it out.  They haven't heard of this problem before.

Got it back.  1 1/2 weeks turn around time.
They replaced the extractor.
Took it out today and ran 50 rounds.  No problems.  

And I didn't even get nailed in the head once!  

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 5:36:42 AM EDT
[#45]
I've had mine since last fall and shot about 200 rounds through it with no problems of any kind...
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I have run 300 plus rounds through my 938 with zero issues.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Who shot it at the LGS when you had it there?

From the not going to full battery comments, I'm thinking maybe you're limp wristing it. Some people have the same issue with the Springfield XD-s. Have you had anyone else shoot it?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top