Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2010 9:12:46 PM EDT
Couldn't get the search to tell me, but has the Glock 36 slide on the Glock 30 SF frame trick has been discussed here. If anyone has any knowledge on this , please share.

I was just reading about it on the Glock Talk Forum and pulled out my 36 and 30 SF and, lo and behold,  I had a a hybrid 30/36 SF !

This hybrid seems to drop right into my G36 High Noon, "Closing Argument",  IWB holster (with the tensioining screw backed out a few turns).  Is this a proven combo ?

Any information appreciated.    Referencing :           http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894436
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Where's the advantage? Just a slimmer grip?
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#2]
You tell us, OP.  Take it to the range.

Not sure it would work..................sure, stranger things have happened.

G36 slide on a G30SF frame, would just mean a slimmer slide.................same grip width, so honestly, I really don't see what the point would be.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 3:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Higher capacity of G30.

Lighter weight of G36 slide.

Supposedly "shoots real nice". Was suggested to me at a GSSF match by an armorer. I cobbled one up and everything fit but I'm not going to actually shoot it. Since these aren't toys or experiments for me, I'll stick with the original designs.

Besides, why would I want to put any G36 funk on a G30?  

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The G30 SF and the G36 are both great guns and I like both of mine as designed, but having read a little about this on another forum, it does seems interesting.  If I already had one of these guns and not the other, I would probably not go out and buy the other to build one, but if a person has both, it is evidently a workable possibility.  Supposedly you just put the entire top end of the G36 onto the G30 frame.  Done.

Why do it ?  

Size:  Some folks find the G30 a bit bulky for CC.  Others are bothered by the G36 not holding enough rounds for CC .  The resulting hybrid 36/30 narrows down the slide area and makes the 30 narrower and lighter (~ 3.5 ozs).  

Capacity: The 36/30 hybrid also allows one to carry 11 rounds ready and the use of G21 magazines for backup ammo.

Reliability: The other advantage is supposed to be increased reliabilty, not that reliability has ever been a complaint of G30 users, but the G36 is reportedly a bit finicky.  

I will try shooting it.  On another forum , some guys have shot it alot and one of them stated there is a factory guy who carries this combination. The fact that an armorer at a GSSF event reportedly suggested it , seems to indicate that it might be a viable option and possibly worthy of CC.  

Has anybody else heard anything about this practice ?  

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay well this is more interesting than I'd initially thought.

I'd never have guessed that there's a whole 3.5 oz. difference in the weight of the slides of the two models.

If that's the case, it does sort of make sense, I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Gonna shoot the 36/30 Hybrid tomorrow.

Won't have time to put alot of rounds thru it. but will give an impression here.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd love to see detailed pics of 'em...............I know, they won't look TOO drastically different, but should be subtly noticeable to the eye.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag for results.  

This is a solution in search of a problem.  But why not?
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Okay, cool, thanks for posting the pics.  Very interesting................I suppose it DOES make for a more compact gun, at leas on the top end, putting the G36 slide on the G30 frame.  Cool concept.  

Surely this does create holster issues, though, unless you're using a leather holster.  Even then, I could see having some "looseness" using this configuration in a G30 holster.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Fits nicely in my G36 leather from High Noon, an IWB "Closing Argument" model, just eased the tensioning screw 1/2 turn.

The other forum's thread I referenced above has a lot of discussion about holsters and more.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Im a glock certified armorer and I say bad idea if glock thought it was a good idea they would be selling them that way. just my 2 cents but what do i know.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Im a glock certified armorer and I say bad idea if glock thought it was a good idea they would be selling them that way. just my 2 cents but what do i know.

But apparently factory reps and armorers have been doing this.

This is very interesting (from an academic perspective, as I do not own or use any Gocks in .45ACP).
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting, I would of thought the frame rails would be to wide for the 36 slide.

When I bought my 30 chose extra ammo over thin.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:42:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Now don't go and blow off your good hand on Valentine's Day.  I don't know your romance situation, but you may need that hand later...
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 5:23:54 AM EDT
[#16]
"I still have one good arm to hold you Dear."  
(I always thought Virgil Earp was talking to his wife - but maybe not  !)
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Obviously, it is also possible to put the 30 slide on the 36 frame. But that begs an even bigger "why?"

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I took the 36 slide / 30 SF frame gun out back and put a G21 mag in it and fired for function.  Fired just Fine with WWB.
Recoil seemed less than the G36 and maybe even less than the G30.  
Going to the range this week, will be able to check for basic accuracy.
The hybrid has a nice feel to it IMO.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I took the 36 slide / 30 SF frame gun out back and put a G21 mag in it and fired for function.  Fired just Fine with WWB.
Recoil seemed less than the G36 and maybe even less than the G30.  
Going to the range this week, will be able to check for basic accuracy.
The hybrid has a nice feel to it IMO.

I'm guessin' the lesser perceived recoil is due to the wider backstrap, eh.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 5:18:56 AM EDT
[#20]
A little hard to say - something about the combination. The slightly wider and heavier lower gun with the smaller and lighter G36 slide, the stock G36 recoil spring, and the
larger backstrap all come together to make it feel a little better attenuated.

I want to put them all back to stock and fire a few rounds and then create the hybrid again and compare, all in the same session.  Its not exactly scientific, but it will test my first impression.

So, its back to the woods again today.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I may end up buying myself a G36 just to do this with my G30SF because the G30 slide is so damn wide it is hard to conceal comfortably.  I am still a little skeptical on reliability but it is a good idea and had Glock done the G37 with the thinner slide I would be carrying a G38.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Yesterday morning was pretty here in NE Ohio, so it was out to the woods to check out the Hybrid again.

Past the old shot to hell burn barrel.

Care for a whitetail with a coyote chaser ?

Across the gasline right of way

Past the new treestand

Pretty out here today.

Looks like my shooting range, across the creek at the base of the ridge,  is a bit snowish today

The two Hybids -  Top number is the slide / bottom is the frame, so...30/36 (top), and the 36/30(bottom).  ******** The G30 frame is a G30 SF

Shoot, shoot, shoot...with WWB.   Top right is the G 36 unmodified, below right is the stock G30 - justfired a few to feel the recoil. Middle two Plates are the G36/30 Hybrid. Very satisfactory. I did some rapid fire so I'm all over the place at about 25 yds, but function was excellent and the recoil still seems less than either stock gun. The leftmost target is the G30/36 Hybrid. Functioned perfectly. Useable but maybe an odd configuration.

General Impressions:  

1)  I think the G36/30 Hybrid has less recoil than either the stock G30 or stock G36

2)  I still like my G36 for its intended use.  Flat. Small. Powerful.

3)  The G36/30 Hybrid might be considered an improvement on the G30 for the person who is bothered by the bulky size of the slide.  Also the slightly reduced recoil is a plus for getting back on target .  
     Shoots really, really nicely.   I would not hesitate to carry it as soon as I get more practice with it.  It would seem to make a very nice carry gun. It has a great feel to it. The appearance also just sort of makes sense.

4)  The other Hybrid, the G30/36, appears to be a fully functional pistol , not obnoxious in any way.  And still one more round of .45 ACP  than a revolver.

5)  February 15th, 2010 was a pretty day in the NE Ohio woods..

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#23]
G36 is my first and only Glock - luv it . With my small hands the G36 feels like I'm holding a fucking large Idaho potato.
My $0.02
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I might just have to find me a used G36 now to try this.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#25]
You're gonna' like it. I think its a deinite improvement on the G30 or G30 SF.

I still like my G36 alot, though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone else tried this yet ?
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#27]
I am going to a gun show in a few weeks I am going to see if I can find a used or inexpensive G36.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But apparently factory reps and armorers have been doing this.

This is very interesting (from an academic perspective, as I do not own or use any Gocks in .45ACP).

Riddle me this! It's the same cartridge, the same barrel, it just that it's on a double stack frame and not a single stack frame. How can that be a problem? Glock just chickened out, (probably from a long term durability or high power diet standpoint)!...and figured that nobody would shot a G36 a lot with std loads due to the uncomfortableness of the lighter frame.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#29]
If you have a Glock 36 you can get a 30SF Lower for $250 off Glockmeister instead of buying a whole other gun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#30]
That Glockmeister deal ( G30SF or G30 lower for $260) would be the ticket for G36 owners who want to try this.

I have shot and carried mine a bit now and I like the smaller carry characteristics than a G30 .  I do notice the slight increase in weight and thickness over my G36, but overall, its a fair trade off.

I have less thickness, weight and recoil than the G30, and larger capacity and reduced recoil over the G36.  

I also like having the backup G21 mag in my pocket.  

I originally had an extended slide release on my G30 SF, but went back to stock, when I realized the narrower slide wasn't always being captured .

The stock slide release seems to work fine.

I saw on the other site I referenced, in one of the first posts in this thread, that someone said that Glock is working on something similar to this, for the ultimate .45 ACP CC Glock.  That's just rumor.

I have to say, I still like my G36, but IMO,  this G36/30 SF Hybrid seems to be a definite improvement over the G30 SF.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the info, on this and the Glockmeister frames.
Top Top